Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Buy.com inexplicably cancels orders!

Buy.com inexplicably cancels orders!
ibook_steve
Dec 2, 2008, 11:04 PM

Here's a strange one for you. I went to Buy.com on Cyber Monday to get some stuff. They had the WD Passport 320 GB drives for $90 and some DVDs reduced below $10. I placed an order for 6 items, about $150 worth of stuff. After about 2 or 3 hours, I get an email back saying my order was canceled with no reason given.

Fine. Maybe I entered my credit card incorrectly or the address was wrong. I recreated the same order. Last night at 11 PM, the order was canceled again with another email with no explanation! The one thing running through my mind at this point is when I call to figure out what's going on, are they going to give me the Cyber Monday prices on the stuff I ordered?

Well, I called Buy.com this morning (800-800-0800 if you're curious; they don't publish that number anywhere). The support rep tells me that they canceled my orders because I was ordering from an IP address in a country they don't serve. Well, if that means that Buy.com has stopped selling to California in the USA, something is wrong. I asked to speak to a manager because first-level support would not give me the Cyber Monday prices and recreate the order. Her manager said they'll investigate and get back to me.

What the heck happened here? My only guess, and it's a longshot, is because I ordered from work. I use Anchorfree to bypass my company's proxy server, but Anchorfree and all their servers are located in the US according to a reverse DNS lookup! Does anybody have any idea what might have happened here? Has anybody ever had this problem before?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

lexapro
Baninated
Dec 3, 2008, 12:21 AM

Now i know your name is Steve.

Railroader
Banned
Dec 3, 2008, 12:42 AM

That's his last name. Hist first name is "ibook".

On Topic: I have had a few issues with Buy.com's customer service. I avoid them as I usually find the same or better prices elsewhere.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2008, 02:14 PM

buy.com has been on my shat list for a long time. Every so often, I forget why they're on it, I use them once or twice, and it's not long before I remember why again. One of these days I'll learn my lesson...

Rumor
Dec 3, 2008, 05:03 PM

I have had one transaction with Buy.com and it was on Friday to buy a Targus laptop backpack. I received the backpack on Monday.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

ibook_steve  (op)
Dec 3, 2008, 08:16 PM

I've had plenty of transactions with Buy.com. This is the first time this has ever happened.

Steve

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2008, 08:35 PM

I would say it's no surprise that using an anonymizer raises suspicion.

ibook_steve  (op)
Dec 3, 2008, 08:44 PM

Except that I've ordered this way before with Buy.com with no problems.

Steve

eeyoreed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2008, 11:36 PM

Hi,

I've had this happen before as well, but I am actually out of the country. I used an existing Buy.com account, a US credit card, US billing address, and US shipping address. However, since I ordered from Australia, they cancelled my order without any explanation. I had to contact them to get it figured out.

Never had any problem doing this with bestbuy.com, Amazon, or countless other retailers. However, Western Digital did the same thing to me.

Needless to say, I do not order from them any more. Don't miss them much either.
( Last edited by eeyoreed; Dec 3, 2008 at 11:38 PM. Reason: clarification)

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 5, 2008, 03:17 AM

I don't order from Buy too often, but I've never had a single problem the number of times that I have done so.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules