Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 128 Ram in PM 9500/9600

128 Ram in PM 9500/9600
brentgarner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2001, 08:33 PM

Apple has toted that the PM 9500 will support 128 ram modules. I spent a lot of $$ filling all 12 with 128's but my Mac will only recognize them as 64's. Apple no longer is willing to provide any info on this subject and I am unable to find anything about it in their tech info library. I have spoken to a few folks that recommend I put it out for all of you here. Any ideas as to the fix?

GLT
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2001, 07:37 PM

This sounds like a problem that should be taken up with your memory supplier. In the instances that I have seen this happen,
(the chips being reported at 1/2 density) it has been caused by a module or modules with an incorrect refresh rate.

It's normally seen in early powermacs that require 2k refresh memory
which have 4k refresh installed. Your machine will take 2k or 4k refresh modules which are for sale all over the web.

Yesterday, however I saw several sites (I'm sorry, I don't remember which suppliers, I was looking for something else) that were offering 8K refresh 128 K 168 pin DIMMS at cheap prices. These were PeeCee oriented memory dealers. Many memory resellers are not Mac Aware.

I was suprised that there were 8K refresh DIMMS even made. They have some application, but not on the Mac platform, as far as I know.

I think that you have gotten hold of some 8K refresh modules and have installed them in your machine.

IMO, it's a good idea to buy memory directly from the builder rather from a reseller. They usually are much more aware of each computer's requirements.

BTW I think you'll find that Apple says that the 128s should work but Apple doesn't support them because they haven't been tested by them. That's different than Apple saying they are supported.

Good luck and I hope there's another and easier solution to your problem

[This message has been edited by GLT (edited 03-22-2001).]

[This message has been edited by GLT (edited 03-22-2001).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules