Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Why I love macs

Why I love macs
sworthy
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2003, 06:09 AM

Got my first mac in november, a 1ghz ti-book. I was always into computers, but I never had a passion for it like I do with my mac. It's the best computer I've ever used, period. It's just so frustrating that more people don't use them because it truly is the best computing experience possible.

What kills me is that misconceptions are everywhere. People always assume it's good for graphics, if they even think it's good for anything. I try to tell people that it's the best computer for consumers AND professionals. Ease of use doesn't mean that only stupid people who can't figure out pc's use macs, it means that anyone who wants to do something faster and better will use a mac.

I think most peoples' problems with the mac stem from the same place mine did not long ago.... The only macs they've used are in school and/or work, and they use older systems. Not only do they feel slower, but OS 9 doesn't really cut it. I would not have 'switched' if it wasn't for 10.2. There are so many 'cool' and useful things you can do. Apple seems to think of almost everything (expose anyone?).

Lastly, the software is so good that it actually makes me want to go out and buy accessories. I have a digital camera, but no ipod or dv camera. But because the software is so easy to use and does such a good job, I want to be able to use it. As an avid iphoto user I would say that using os x without a digital camera is a shame.

The reason I love macs is because is more than just a computer. It's so elegant and so simple and is an absolute joy to use. It's turned 'just a computer' into a hobby and an avid interest. It's just so frustrating that so many people are out there that don't know what they're missing.

sorry for the rant... I just feel that if more people used macs the computing world would be a better place.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 10, 2003, 06:17 AM

Originally posted by sworthy:
sorry for the rant... I just feel that if more people used macs the whole world would be a better place.

MikeM33
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2003, 06:44 AM

Great post!! It's always good to hear stuff like this. I've been working in the graphics field since 1997 and I've been using Macs since OS 8.1. I believe OSX has really been a major selling point for many new Mac users (like yourself).

You're right, there's plenty to use a Mac for besides graphics as-well.

MikeM

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2003, 03:08 AM

Yeah, like bioengineering, programming, web development, email, DV, audio, games (NOT, but hopefully soon), video/audio IM, digital music, pretty much anything your average person would even want to do with a computer. What else do people do with computers? Hows quicken for the Mac? I've never used it quicken. Is it good? I've been thinking about getting it.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2003, 05:44 AM

I just feel that if more people used macs the computing world would be a better place.
I'm curious- just a rhetorical question really.

Since when does more people using the same thing make it a better thing?

Some of the finest things in life are only to be appreciated by a select few with eyes open wide enough to see the full value in them. Bringing in more and more people until said fineries become �blah� commonplace generally tends to dilute their special qualities, not increase them.

Not that I'm against Apple having greater market share, don't get me wrong. Just endlessly curious why so many seem hellbent on turning Macs into just another mass-over-marketed �blah�.

RGB
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2003, 06:37 AM

Lastly, the software is so good that it actually makes me want to go out and buy accessories. I have a digital camera, but no ipod or dv camera. But because the software is so easy to use and does such a good job, I want to be able to use it. As an avid iphoto user I would say that using os x without a digital camera is a shame.
I get this EXACT same urge. My computer can do things so easily, I want to be able to do them! But then I remember I don't have the expendable dough to shell out, and leave the store empty-handed. I was considering buying an iPod before I go off to college, but I've just decided to get a PS2 instead. I'll get more use out of that $200 than my $300 iPod, even though it won't integrate with my Mac

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2003, 09:54 AM

Originally posted by RGB:
I get this EXACT same urge. My computer can do things so easily, I want to be able to do them! But then I remember I don't have the expendable dough to shell out, and leave the store empty-handed. I was considering buying an iPod before I go off to college, but I've just decided to get a PS2 instead. I'll get more use out of that $200 than my $300 iPod, even though it won't integrate with my Mac
I went to college 15 years ago, and even then, there were plenty of TV's with SuperNES's hooked up to them.

Were I you, I would plan on using your roomate's/dormmates/frat brother's, etc PS2 and buy the iPod for yourself. The PS2 is $100 less than the iPod, but start adding games and the iPod is a bargin. Let somebody else fork out the money for the consoles and games and get the iPod for you.

Another reason- and trust me this is true- college women aren't impressed by Video Games- never were never will be. Boys and their game machines are tolerated, not appreciated. However, chicks dig iPods. This is not conjecture, it's fact.

RGB
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2003, 10:57 AM

Originally posted by Paco500:
I went to college 15 years ago, and even then, there were plenty of TV's with SuperNES's hooked up to them.

Were I you, I would plan on using your roomate's/dormmates/frat brother's, etc PS2 and buy the iPod for yourself. The PS2 is $100 less than the iPod, but start adding games and the iPod is a bargin. Let somebody else fork out the money for the consoles and games and get the iPod for you.

Another reason- and trust me this is true- college women aren't impressed by Video Games- never were never will be. Boys and their game machines are tolerated, not appreciated. However, chicks dig iPods. This is not conjecture, it's fact.
As much as I would like to buy and enjoy now, I might wait the two to three remaining weeks till I find out my roommate before I purchase the console, this has been my plan all along. I saw some good deals and got excited and wanted to buy now though. I love the iPod, it has a great 'cool' factor, but I just don't see myself having that much use for it, though I'd love to put my Brenthaven Mobility Backpack's iPod pouch to good use!

My boss is still selling his old iPod, I might try to pick that one up for cheap.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2003, 11:21 AM

The cool thing is, you get that same elegance with a bare bones eMac or iMac. That's what I love.

Try explaining that to a typical PC user.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2003, 11:26 AM

First: Great post! Welcome to the Mac world!

Second: I use my iPod for far more things than I can imagine:
- Those 20+ hour flights that I take twice a hear are now bearable when I can burn a few hours with tunes OTHER than what's being pumped from the airplane music closet.
- Mowing my lawn is much more pleasurable now.
- I rarely use my 6 disk changer in my car anymore because my iPod is plugged into my tapedeck ... (I'll admit that changing stations on the iPod is dangerous when driving, so set your playlists up early.)
- I now exercise far more often. It gives me an excuse to listen to my iPod.

I was thinking it was too much money. In the end though I'm thrilled with it.

I wish it had headphones that would stay in my ears though. If you smile they fall out. I'll probably purchase a replacement when I get some funds and I find a set that I like. (Either that or I'll duck-tape those nubs to my ears.)

macarita
Forum Regular
Jul 11, 2003, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by driven:

I wish it had headphones that would stay in my ears though. If you smile they fall out. I'll probably purchase a replacement when I get some funds and I find a set that I like. (Either that or I'll duck-tape those nubs to my ears.) [/B]
dude, just don't smile

osx plain & simple rocks...it truly makes all the difference in my world

sworthy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2003, 12:36 PM

Originally posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE:
More people using macs doesn't neccessarily make macs a better thing (though it makes it a little better for us existing users for things such as iChatAV,safari standards, etc), but it gives each individual a better computing experience, something that a lot of people are looking for, yet don't even consider a mac in their next computer purchase. I just wish more people would give it a chance becuase once they've played with this gorgeous OS and realize that for the most part it's compatible for everything they want to do.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2003, 12:40 PM

Look at it this way.

One girl with you, fine. Two girls sharing you even better. Three girls ..... You see, some things do get better when more are involved

OK, I'll shut up now

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2003, 12:52 PM

In and of itself, never. However, when more people use a given platform, more developers start to care about it. Those who don't develop for the Mac are forced to at least re-evaluate that decision. Those who do develop for the Mac have to start putting actual effort into their ports to make them look, feel, and work right.

That's the only advantage having more Mac users would grant: developers would care more. All other benefits spring from there.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2003, 01:37 PM

Has a windows user ever sat down to write:

Why I love XP.

I wonder. It seem strange to me that people care so little about exploring their platform choice when a computer is so involved in today's everyday life. At least it is for me. Maybe too much.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2003, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by DeathMan:
Has a windows user ever sat down to write:

Why I love XP.

I wonder. It seem strange to me that people care so little about exploring their platform choice when a computer is so involved in today's everyday life. At least it is for me. Maybe too much.
Why I love Windows XP ...

I love the .... uh ...
wait ... But there's the .... no .. The interface is so .... wait .... there aren't very many bugs .. wait, that's just wrong ... Oh oh ... the browser is .. nope.

Well, it's better in some ways than Windows 98!

In all honesty I get paid very well for doing funky things with it so I'll leave it at that.

Griggsy
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 11, 2003, 01:55 PM

as a chap who used macs professionally for graphics and 3d professionally for 8 years, this really is the best period for the platform theres ever been.

The best thing is, i have done ichat a/v, idvd and itunes demos, and they totally blow people away. Itunes 4 across a network still makes my studio manager shake his head with smiling disbelief.

Its the quality of the package - hardware and software, we have a user experience that meets the friendliness of the industrial design.

It still excites me to think that as i am typing this on the sofa with a sleeping bassett beside me. The machine I am using has the ability, to be an immensely powerful web development server, a full audio video suite, a print studio, a 3d graphics workstation, etc, etc.....

Oh and something to chat to my fellow mac buddies on - all at the same time
Torn apart by the wood peckers of mistrust t0 not have this happen 2 u visit guinea pig::the life of a mac designer::

goldengoose7
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2003, 03:32 PM

Wintel machines still lack the color management/accuracy to be seriously considered for professional graphics use, especially PRINT media, but this doesn't stop the wannbe PC Photoshop users from talking out their asses about how the Windows version of Photoshop can do everything the Mac version can.

Guess if the extent of your PS skills stops at cropping vacation snapshots for your butt ugly web site, you would never know the difference. ;o)
Golden Goose
Records

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2003, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by goldengoose7:
Wintel machines still lack the color management/accuracy to be seriously considered for professional graphics use, especially PRINT media, but this doesn't stop the wannbe PC Photoshop users from talking out their asses about how the Windows version of Photoshop can do everything the Mac version can.

Guess if the extent of your PS skills stops at cropping vacation snapshots for your butt ugly web site, you would never know the difference. ;o)
It amazes me that folks will pay $600+ for an application to crop photos (not using 90% of the features) and then they will complain that a mac is too expensive.

Link
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2003, 03:46 PM

lol you are sooo wrong dude.

I'm looking to spend the $600 on photoshop 7 eventually, having used the trial now I find it sooooo much better then any other graphics program ^_^

It's all about the layer effects, people!!!... I've made some insane crap with that.
Aloha

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2003, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by Link:
lol you are sooo wrong dude.

I'm looking to spend the $600 on photoshop 7 eventually, having used the trial now I find it sooooo much better then any other graphics program ^_^

It's all about the layer effects, people!!!... I've made some insane crap with that.
I would assume that you are doing more than cropping vacation pictures for a web-page.

mydog8mymac
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 12, 2003, 03:54 AM

Another reason- and trust me this is true- college women aren't impressed by Video Games- never were never will be. Boys and their game machines are tolerated, not appreciated. However, chicks dig iPods. This is not conjecture, it's fact. [/B]
He is correct! The iPod may be just the extracurricular item you need for the most well rounded education.

Cipher13
Jul 12, 2003, 06:10 AM

I'm glad the Macintosh community is a minority.

Look at the PC community... would you really wanna be like that?

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 12, 2003, 06:22 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
I'm glad the Macintosh community is a minority.

Look at the PC community... would you really wanna be like that?

It's enough to make you want to switch...

Forum Links
Forum Rules