Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OpenGL performance on 10.1 5f24

OpenGL performance on 10.1 5f24
Codename
Banned
Aug 10, 2001, 03:41 AM

I saw this link in the www.xlr8yourmac.com forums and thought I'd post it here.
http://duxbury.la/5f24/5f24_1.html

Codename  (op)
Banned
Aug 10, 2001, 10:10 PM

30%+ improvement in OpenGL performance and nobody cares.

alphamatrix
Senior User
Aug 10, 2001, 10:24 PM

Sounds good to me.

Codename  (op)
Banned
Aug 10, 2001, 10:32 PM

Something interesting I did not notice before was the fact that the % accruement in fps over 10.0.4 increases when sound is on (See the image below). This means that in 10.1 there have been significant improvements and optimizations to Core Audio.

Another interesting tidbit is the fact that % improvements increase at higher resolutions over 10.0.4 usually at where the graphics chipset is fillrate limited.

[ 08-10-2001: Message edited by: Codename ]

alphamatrix
Senior User
Aug 10, 2001, 10:36 PM

Sounds good to me.

<:bored:>
Aug 10, 2001, 10:50 PM

Originally posted by Codename:
<STRONG>30%+ improvement in OpenGL performance and nobody cares.</STRONG>
Sorry not to jump up and down in excitement, but until 10.1 is released I won't believe it. I got my hopes up way to much for 10.0 based on all kinds of benchmarks and speculations.

ARENA
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2001, 05:03 AM

I tried to play Quake3 to test the optimized OpenGL performance en 5F24, but it quits on launch so i couldn�t test. That�s too bad �cause I was waiting for those extra fps. It runs just fine in 10.04 but sadly it gives me about 15 fps less than in Mac OS 9. I hope that when Mac OS X 10.1 final is here that difference will get smaller.

... I could run Alice without problems in 5F24 though, and the performance is better than in 10.04, but still it�s slower than running it in Mac OS 9. Don�t know about fps in this case.

...anyway, Mac OS X has been my OS since march, and there is no way i�m going back to 9...NEVER! I Love X!

Chet Ript
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2001, 01:48 PM

I just bought Alice and thought I'd try it out in OSX. (5f24) It runs much better in OSX 10.1 than it does in OS 9.1. I didn't do any FPS tests but it was pretty obvious it was performing better. So.....there you have it, OpenGL is better in OSX! (as it should be)

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2001, 05:39 PM

For us RagePro users, there will be an almost infinite OpenGL performance increase as it INCLUDES ATIRAGEPRO SUPPORT FOR HARDWARE ACCELERATION! YAY!

Forum Links
Forum Rules