Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > partition server boot drive

partition server boot drive
sylwester
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 16, 2004, 12:23 PM

I have to re-install os 10.3.3 on our xserve and will have to wipe the boot drive unless someone knows other, but seince I have to set everything up again, I was wondering can you partition the boot drive on an xserve such that partion b is a bootable backup of partition a? This would make this re-installation scenario a bit less of a hassle in the future.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2004, 08:06 PM

Originally posted by sylwester:
I have to re-install os 10.3.3 on our xserve and will have to wipe the boot drive unless someone knows other, but seince I have to set everything up again, I was wondering can you partition the boot drive on an xserve such that partion b is a bootable backup of partition a? This would make this re-installation scenario a bit less of a hassle in the future.
How are you going to make it a bootable backup? Use carbon copy cloner or something? How would you make it live updating? Or do you want the second image to be a "virgin" install?

sylwester  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2004, 01:12 PM

I guess what I'm looking for is a reccomendation on how to set up the server this time around. I have read that some back up everything such that they can restore lost data etc in case of situations similar to the one I am in. I feel I lacked some foresight when we set this up a couple years ago and now that I'm forced to re-format the boot drive, I'm just looking for the simplest, yet best way possible.

Forum Links
Forum Rules