Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > DOCUNIUM� is AWESOME!!!, But...

DOCUNIUM� is AWESOME!!!, But...
Jerk_circus
Mar 22, 2005, 12:36 PM

Hey everyone, this is my first post here. I've been coming here for the past year though, and its been a very helpful site. IT'S AWESOME!

I'm loving the Docunium icons, but I'm having a problem changing the file icons for word, excel and powerpoint. I did a search for this, but I didnt come up with anything. CandyBar doesnt recognize those apps for some reason as I'm sure you're all aware of. I have used ResFool to change the splash screens, so I thought I could do the same thing to change the icons. So I opened up the apps in ResFool, found the .icns resoure files, but I dont know how to replace them. I think I have to make a rsr file of the icon with the same identification number, but the problem is I dont know how. (Given that's even the right way to do it) Does anybody know how else to permanently change the file icons for Office apps? For now I've manually changed all the icons, but each time I make a new .doc file, I'd have to manual change it too, and that will be annoying.

Hope someone knows because there's probably a lot of people wondering....Or maybe its just me. Thanks in advance

cruciarius
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 22, 2005, 01:03 PM

you need to open candybar and go to the tab that lets you choose an application and it should come up with the file icons you want to replace. another way to do this, i believe, would be to show package contents and you should be able to find the icons that way and replace them.

smeger
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2005, 03:29 PM

Word, Excel and Powerpoint are packaged as monolithic apps with a resource-fork, instead of using the newer and nicer bundle format. This prevents their icons from being themed.

I don't know of an easy work-around.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

RimshotDesign
Mar 22, 2005, 05:39 PM

i didn' t want creat them because we can't change these icons
i've made OFFICE icons because lot of people request them...

Jerk_circus  (op)
Mar 22, 2005, 08:08 PM

Thanks for the input guys.

Its too bad that Microsoft had to go and do that...I guess I'll just have to replace the icons manually. Unless someone with more computer skills figures out how to replace the icons using ResFool. I'm sure there's a way to do it in ResFool, I just dont have enough technological knowledge to do it myself.

Jerk_circus  (op)
Mar 22, 2005, 08:10 PM

Hey RimShot, I hope you didnt think I was ragging on your icons or anything when you saw the title of the post. Hahaha! Later

ptitus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2005, 12:45 AM

I think I read somewhere that someone used Resploder to do just that with the Office apps.

Forum Links
Forum Rules