Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Etiquette for correcting an interviewer

Etiquette for correcting an interviewer
fromthecloud
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 4, 2005, 11:03 PM

I had an interview today for a programming internship where I took a skills test. One of the problems that I was asked was to count the number of 'on' bits in a 32-bit integer. I coded my solution using modular division (which works). However, the interviewer counted it wrong because I didn't use bit arithmetic (I guess that's how their answer did it). The test was done on paper, so they didn't actually run it to verify.

It really bothered me that it was counted wrong, so after the interview I coded up a quick demo app in c++ that did exactly what my solution said on the skills test.

I'm about to send them a 'thank you' e-mail for the interview, and I was wondering if there was a proper etiquette for saying 'i took a harder look at it after the interview and my solution was actully correct.'

I don't want to look like a smartass, but I also don't want them to hold it against me that I got the problem wrong.

Any suggestions, or should I just leave it alone?
( Last edited by fromthecloud; Apr 4, 2005 at 11:16 PM. )
chown -R us:us yourbase

Dissent is not un-American.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2005, 11:21 PM

DEFINITELY say something - nicely.

"I just wanted to point out my method of calculation..."

That might get you the job. Honestly, I would probably hire someone who pointed out a correction over someone who did not.

Good luck.

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2005, 11:28 PM

definitely say something, but dont point fingers, and if you do let them have an easy escape from the blame...

it will give you brownie points if you can do it a way that they dont even know...

Zach

Mafia
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2005, 11:29 PM

"I TOLD YOU SO!!!" /sarcasm

just point out that your way also works.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

SSharon
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2005, 11:49 PM

exactly what the others have said. you can simply that there was an alternate or additional method of solving their problem. remember, their solution wasn't wrong you just have another solution.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

wolfen
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2005, 12:07 AM

Always conclude any correspondence with, "Now go in the kitchen and make me some pie."
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2005, 01:14 AM

The skills test part of an interview can get hairy sometimes. I had an interview for a production designer job at a printer a couple weeks ago. The interview went fine and they called me back for a computer test the next day. So the manager wants me to design a custom business card, cool, so I open Illustrator, the palette menus won't open. The manager says "We need to reload illustrator on that machine, but we don't have time for that right now, so I guess that will be your handicap today".

Turns out I didn't get the job because "I use InDesign and ALL of their clients use Quark".

entrox
Senior User
Apr 5, 2005, 06:28 AM

WTF? There are still companies left that ask retarded questions like this? Sheesh. I thought they stopped giving such problem, because most people just memorised the "correct" answers.

Oh, and FWIW, they probably expected this answer (in C):
Code:
for(n = 0; b; n++) b &= b-1;
Working at a company with such boiler-plate questions would be a no-go for me.

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 5, 2005, 06:50 AM

Originally posted by iMOTOR:
The skills test part of an interview can get hairy sometimes. I had an interview for a production designer job at a printer a couple weeks ago. The interview went fine and they called me back for a computer test the next day. So the manager wants me to design a custom business card, cool, so I open Illustrator, the palette menus won't open. The manager says "We need to reload illustrator on that machine, but we don't have time for that right now, so I guess that will be your handicap today".

Turns out I didn't get the job because "I use InDesign and ALL of their clients use Quark".
Quark is a quick learn.
And most layouts aren't done in Illustrator.

As a matter of fact, most design houses get annoyed by people who set ads or whatever up in Illustrator instead of Quark or Indesign.

frankiec
Apr 5, 2005, 06:55 AM

Originally posted by fromthecloud:
Fire off an email with the proof of why you're right. Don't forget to BCC the interviewer's manager and some random high up people at the company (browse the company's web site for this info). You didn't get the job, deal with it, so at least you can make that moron look stupid for 5 minutes in front of his golfing buddies.

fromthecloud  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 5, 2005, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by frankiec:
Fire off an email with the proof of why you're right. Don't forget to BCC the interviewer's manager and some random high up people at the company (browse the company's web site for this info). You didn't get the job, deal with it, so at least you can make that moron look stupid for 5 minutes in front of his golfing buddies.
The interview was yesterday...I still could get the job. I'm sending them a thank you e-mail.

Somehow it doesn't seem intelligent to make the interviewer look stupid when I'm trying to get hired.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Apr 5, 2005, 10:27 AM

Yeah, do it after they hire you.

Is this idiot going to be your boss?
I'd tell'em after, just for kicks.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2005, 01:18 PM

Say nothing... for two or three years. Then, assuming your interviewer is still there, show him how you were right.

If you do not plan on getting the job, send them a letter thanking them for the interview, but that they would be better off expecting the right answer instead of the wrong one.

Or is that part of the test?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Will V.
Apr 5, 2005, 01:24 PM

If you do bring up the issue, pre-decision, I would be extremely cautious about how you broach the subject, if you want the job. Broach it with your tail between your legs, and do *not* include the interviewer's superior in the conversation, and you *might* still have a chance of getting the job.

After you get the job, or, after you don't get the job, you could broach the topic much more casually, though I would still caution you against burning any bridges.

budster101
Baninated
Apr 5, 2005, 01:28 PM

Burn baby! Burn! them bridges, so when you are ultra-successfull someday, you can call them and rub it in some more!

If you don't get the job that is...

http://www.ohadtalmor.com/Images/Bur...g_Bridges1.jpg
( Last edited by budster101; Apr 5, 2005 at 03:03 PM. )

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2005, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by wolfen:
Always conclude any correspondence with, "Now go in the kitchen and make me some pie."
This bears repeating.

budster101
Baninated
Apr 5, 2005, 01:46 PM

Since we are on the topic of what (not) to say in an interview:

-See photo of interviewer's family on desk, point, start laughing uncontrollably.

-Ask if there is only one emergency exit, grin and say; 'Boy!, I bet this floor would be in trouble if someone barricaded that.'

-Constantly fidget with underwear waistband, then blurt: 'The strawberry ones are the stickiest, don't ya' think?'

-After detailing your greatest achievement, qualify with, 'Of course I was totally hammered at the time.'

-Inquire on office policy of friends staying over.

-Claim you wouldn't even need a sit-in' job if Al Einstein hadn't stolen your secret patent for- '2000 Flushes'

-Over-emphasize your ability to use a copier.

-Ask if it's O.K. that you sit on the floor.

-Allow that you would little impact on the overhead budget, because you swiped all the supplies from your other job.

-Although parking was free, insist that they validate something or you're not leaving.

-Mention your resume would have been stronger, but you didn't feel like making anything else up.

-Ask secretary if she'll sit on your lap during interview.

-Walk into interviewer's office with a tape measure, measure office from a few angles, put away, declare; 'NOW we can begin.'

-When making small talk and the Simpson trial comes up, shout, "You mean Homer and Marge are in some kind of trouble?", and run out of the room.

-Sniff two of your fingers hold out toward interviewer, ask; 'smell these, these smell funny to you???'

-Upon walking in to the office for first time ask reception to hold all your calls.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2005, 02:07 PM

ROFLMAO Budster101!

finboy
Apr 5, 2005, 02:50 PM

Originally posted by budster101:
Since we are on the topic of what (not) to say in an interview:
Don't forget Carlin's recommendations:

Be sure to find out the company's policy on Monday and Friday absenteeism.

Ask them if you'll have a private office or whether you'll have to share with "the assholes who already work here."

Make certain that they know you'll want an office near the door so that you can "get the f&ck out at 5 o'clock."

Find out their view of substance abuse (drinking) on the job.

budster101
Baninated
Apr 5, 2005, 03:04 PM

Originally posted by finboy:
Don't forget Carlin's recommendations:

Be sure to find out the company's policy on Monday and Friday absenteeism.

Ask them if you'll have a private office or whether you'll have to share with "the assholes who already work here."

Make certain that they know you'll want an office near the door so that you can "get the f&ck out at 5 o'clock."

Find out their view of substance abuse (drinking) on the job.
Always! All of the above.

Synotic
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2005, 03:20 PM

Not that I have any prior experience with it but something along the lines of what you feel (a little cleaned up, of course) would be best, I think:
It really bothered me that it was counted wrong, so after the interview I coded up a quick demo app in c++ that did exactly what my solution said on the skills test. I don't want to look like a smartass, but I also don't want them to hold it against me that I got the problem wrong.
Just make sure you get the point you want across: 1, you think you have an alternative approach (to them anyway) to their problem; 2, you later checked it, and it seems to work; and 3, you just want to make sure you're fairly assessed and not marked down on a potential mistake. As long as you get your idea across, it should be fine.

budster101
Baninated
Apr 5, 2005, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by Synotic:
Not that I have any prior experience with it but something along the lines of what you feel (a little cleaned up, of course) would be best, I think:
Just make sure you get the point you want across: 1, you think you have an alternative approach (to them anyway) to their problem; 2, you later checked it, and it seems to work; and 3, you just want to make sure you're fairly assessed and not marked down on a potential mistake. As long as you get your idea across, it should be fine.
Sure, give him some solid advice. I think you are mistaken as to what the real reason these forums are for.

All kidding aside, this could have been a banner oportunity to show that you think 'outside the box', and can come up with alternative and creative solutions to problems. Give it up for a suggestion!

historylme
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2005, 03:26 PM

Sure, give him some solid advice. I think you are mistaken as to what the real reason these forums are for.

All kidding aside, this could have been a banner oportunity to show that you think 'outside the box', and can come up with alternative and creative solutions to problems. Give it up for a suggestion!
Props are given.

SVass
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2005, 03:43 PM

You may have taken a psychological test. No matter which answer you gave, it was intended to be wrong. They want to see how you take silly criticism which goes with every job (except emperor). How do you answer a IQ test question to identify the "next number in a sequence"? The "correct" answer is determined by giving the question to a large number of people and arbitrarily defining as correct the answer given by a majority of the "smartest" people. Forget the whole thing unless you can't take the rat race of real life. Then you can become a hermit. sam

frankiec
Apr 5, 2005, 04:13 PM

The interview was yesterday...I still could get the job. I'm sending them a thank you e-mail.

Somehow it doesn't seem intelligent to make the interviewer look stupid when I'm trying to get hired.
Listen clearly: You. Did. Not. Get. The. Job.

The interviewer didn't mind making you look stupid. Don't protect his insecure inner child.

budster101
Baninated
Apr 5, 2005, 04:25 PM

The interviewer didn't mind making you look stupid. Don't protect his insecure inner child.
While I may agree with your second statement, your first is a bit of a stretch.
He just interviewed and tested. This means nothing but they are considering other candidates or are still in the process of interviewing. I don't see where he mentioned a decision was being made yet...

Number Two
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2005, 06:55 PM

I don't want to look like a smartass, but I also don't want them to hold it against me that I got the problem wrong.

no. don't leave it alone! call him up and go, "Oy! C'mere you fuppin baxter. Yes, I want a word with you you dirty rotten muddy funster. For fup's sake, what the fup were you thinking?"

Person Man
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2005, 08:05 PM

-When making small talk and the Simpson trial comes up, shout, "You mean Homer and Marge are in some kind of trouble?", and run out of the room.
I think it's pretty safe to assume when THIS list was written

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2005, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by Person Man:
I think it's pretty safe to assume when THIS list was written
There are all these lists written of unfunny things to do in different serious situations. Who writes these, and why don't their loved ones stop them before someone gets fed up, tracks them down, and goes apesh*t.

fromthecloud  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 11, 2005, 02:45 PM

I was just offered the job. Thank you.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2005, 04:36 PM

I was just offered the job. Thank you.
Hey! Good news!

fromthecloud  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 11, 2005, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by DeathMan:
Hey! Good news!
Thanks.

Unfortunately its kinda bad timing...They have to know by tomorrow night if I accept or not and I have an interview with Apple tonight. Looks like I won't be able to explore the opportunity with Apple, but I'll try again next summer.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2005, 04:55 PM

RonnieoftheRose
Apr 11, 2005, 05:11 PM

I had an interview today for a programming internship where I took a skills test. One of the problems that I was asked was to count the number of 'on' bits in a 32-bit integer. I coded my solution using modular division (which works). However, the interviewer counted it wrong because I didn't use bit arithmetic (I guess that's how their answer did it). The test was done on paper, so they didn't actually run it to verify.

It really bothered me that it was counted wrong, so after the interview I coded up a quick demo app in c++ that did exactly what my solution said on the skills test.

I'm about to send them a 'thank you' e-mail for the interview, and I was wondering if there was a proper etiquette for saying 'i took a harder look at it after the interview and my solution was actully correct.'

What we normally do when we begin typing an Email.
-------------
Dear Asshole,

I thought about the conversation we had today and came to the conclusion that you're either wrong or an idiot. Frankly, I couldn't give a **** about that crap you said to me and wish you all the best in Hell. **** you.

--------------

Then we press backspace and rewrite it like this.

-------------

Dear John,

I have been thinking about the conversation we had today and learnt a lot from what you told me. I hope to learn a lot more from you in the future and hopefully will be able to contribute as much in return as you have to me.

Best wishes

Ronnie

Forum Links
Forum Rules