Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > To hell with Terri Schiavo / Save a dolphin...

To hell with Terri Schiavo / Save a dolphin...
budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Apr 14, 2005, 12:33 PM

What is going on in this world?

There were police surrounding the hospice to protect TS's right to die, arresting those that would bring but a sip of water to the woman's lips, and reporters were talking as if terrorists were at the gate, ready to attack... yet when some of the same reporters take on this story, they speak as if it is a referent thing to save the life of another mammal...

"Maria Brandvold and her husband Jan Childers spotted the 5-feet, 4-inch, 125-pound dolphin on a sandbar near Sunrise Island off Marathon. Brandvold said she was at home and looking out her back window admiring the birds when she spotted something struggling in the ocean.

"I saw something black flopping on the beach and called to Jan when I realized what it was," said she said. "We just had to give him a name, so we named him Sunny."

The rescue became a neighborhood effort until Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation officers and rescuers arrived.

The dolphin is being tube fed formula and is receiving 24-hour medical care.

In another recent stranding situation, the lone surviving male pilot whale being cared for in a lagoon on the south end of Big Pine Key died Thursday evening. The whale, one of seven rescued after a pod of 28 whales beached themselves in Content Passage two weeks ago, had been receiving antibiotics and around-the-clock medical treatment. The male is the second of the rescued whales to die since being moved to protected waters. And undermined number of the original pod died in backcountry waters in the days following the stranding.

Five whales, all females, remain under the care of volunteers and appear to be responding well to medical treatments.

Rescuers, comprised primarily of volunteers from various non-profit marine mammal-stranding agencies, are seeking donations and volunteers to aid in the efforts."

By all means, do whatever it takes to save that dolphin!

- It could not feed itself.
- It could not communicate it's desire to live or die
- It could not even breath for itself as it had to be held above water so it's blowhole could accept air...

Sounds like life support to me. I wonder, did that dolphin have a living will?

Source of Story:
http://www.eurocbc.org/page936.html
( Last edited by budster101; Apr 14, 2005 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Link Added for my source:)

blue storm 1337
Baninated
Apr 14, 2005, 12:38 PM

those stupid dolphins and monkeys have better health care than most humans

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2005, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by blue storm 1337
those stupid dolphins and monkeys have better health care than most humans
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2005, 12:42 PM

it was a very sad day but it exposed the lunatic left for not caring a wit about human life. you have to keep in mind that most of these animal rights extremists view human life as a threat to animal life which they worship.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 14, 2005, 12:46 PM

I've swam with dolphins, wild dolphins in Western Australia, near Perth. No contact or feeding was allowed but it was truly humbling and amazing to see these amazing creatures, And they were curious too, swimming right up to you and whistling to your snorkel mask.
I've also swam with pink dolphin in a rehab clinic of sorts and those dolphins were also amazingly intelligent and gentle and playful.
Save 'em all.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Apr 14, 2005, 12:47 PM

We have to be nice to the dolphins. Otherwise we're toast when the revolution comes.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2005, 12:48 PM

"Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than Dolphins because he had achieved so much: the wheel; New York; wars; [indefinite life support;] and so on, whilst all the Dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the Dolphins believed that they were more intelligent than Man for precisely the same reasons."

blue storm 1337
Baninated
Apr 14, 2005, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Stradlater
don't you think that spending money on 24-hour medical care for a fish is stupid? who cares about whether an injured dolphin lives or dies, as long as it they get rid of it before it starts smelling up the beach. take the money and spend it on something else more useful, like life support for a human, or better yet, spend it on a new powermac g5.

i know i know it's a mammal

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2005, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman
We have to be nice to the dolphins. Otherwise we're toast when the revolution comes.

blue storm 1337
Baninated
Apr 14, 2005, 12:56 PM

"Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than Dolphins because he had achieved so much: the wheel; New York; wars; [indefinite life support;] and so on, whilst all the Dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the Dolphins believed that they were more intelligent than Man for precisely the same reasons."
Dolphins are not intelligent.. when a fishing net comes their way, they are too stupid to know that they can a) swim away or b) jump over it.. instead they just let it capture them and they get all tangled up and die.. even a chicken could figure out how to run from a net

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2005, 12:57 PM

don't you think that spending money on 24-hour medical care for a fish is stupid? who cares about whether an injured dolphin lives or dies, as long as it they get rid of it before it starts smelling up the beach. take the money and spend it on something else more useful, like life support for a human, or better yet, spend it on a new powermac g5.

I agree; it's ridiculous.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2005, 12:59 PM

Dolphins are not intelligent.. when a fishing net comes their way, they are too stupid to know that they can a) swim away or b) jump over it.. instead they just let it capture them and they get all tangled up and die.. even a chicken could figure out how to run from a net
Someone isn't familiar with Adams' work

It's a joke; oh, and your statement depends on your definition of intelligence.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 14, 2005, 01:02 PM

don't you think that spending money on 24-hour medical care for a fish is stupid?

Worth mentioning again.

Read So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2005, 01:02 PM

I'll take my dolphin with a dozen shrimp, sauteed in a white wine cream sauce. Better throw in some clams and capers while your at it.

Maury
( Last edited by RAILhead; Apr 14, 2005 at 01:03 PM. Reason: kant spel)
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my band • my web site • my guitar effects • my photos • facebook • brightpoint

blue storm 1337
Baninated
Apr 14, 2005, 01:08 PM

Someone isn't familiar with Adams' work

It's a joke; oh, and your statement depends on your definition of intelligence.
well if you look at it that way, then i could change my definition of intelligence to whatever I want, and suddenly rats are are more intelligent than people! to be fair to rats, they are already more intelligent than most people on MacNN

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2005, 01:14 PM

well if you look at it that way, then i could change my definition of intelligence to whatever I want, and suddenly rats are are more intelligent than people! to be fair to rats, they are already more intelligent than most people on MacNN
What are you blathering on about? Do you understand what my stance is?

blue storm 1337
Baninated
Apr 14, 2005, 01:17 PM

you said dolphins are intelligent, and I have a huge vendetta against all animals, so I will continue to personally attack you for supporting dolphins, you fool

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2005, 01:21 PM

Did I?

budster101  (op)
Baninated
Apr 14, 2005, 01:24 PM

Don't feed the trolls.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2005, 01:29 PM

I agree, dolphins are much more cute.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2005, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Socially Awkward Solo
I agree, dolphins are much more cute.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 14, 2005, 01:33 PM

Rookies. *Sigh*

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2005, 05:49 PM

I'd give that a feeding tube anyday.

Will V.
Apr 14, 2005, 06:01 PM

Actually, dolphins are used by the U.S. Navy to look for underwater mines. Sure doesn't sound too stupid to me. Pointing out that dolphins engage in potentially deadly behavior, the consequences of which they seem to either disregard, or are unaware, proves nothing. Humans engage in similarly self-destructive behavior at a much higher rate than dolphins.

Will V.
Apr 14, 2005, 06:15 PM

First sentence in the story, showing major difference between the dolphin and Terry Schiavo:

A spotted dolphin that beached itself off Marathon Monday began swimming on its own Friday, a sign that the marine mammal may be improving, according to volunteers trying to nurse it back to health.
In contrast, Judge Greer's 11/2002 decision, excerpt:

The Mandate requires something more than a belief, hope or "some" improvement. It requires this court to find, by a preponderance of the evidence, that the treatment offers such sufficient promise of increased cognitive function in Mrs. Schiavo's cerebral cortex so as to significantly improve her quality of life. There is no such testimony, much less a preponderance of the evidence to that effect. The other doctors, by contrast, all testified that there was no treatment available to improve her quality of life. They were also able to credibly testify that neither hyperbaric therapy nor vasodilatation therapy was an effective treatment for this sort of injury.
http://abstractappeal.com/schiavo/trialctorder11-02.txt

budster101  (op)
Baninated
Apr 15, 2005, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Will V.
Actually, dolphins are used by the U.S. Navy to look for underwater mines. Sure doesn't sound too stupid to me. Pointing out that dolphins engage in potentially deadly behavior, the consequences of which they seem to either disregard, or are unaware, proves nothing. Humans engage in similarly self-destructive behavior at a much higher rate than dolphins.
Dogs are used to sniff drugs: People eat dog.

You are assuming that the dolphins have the brains to have MOTIVES. A higher intelligent being like humans has reasoning, and is not trained like a dog or a dolphin to do certain motor tasks based on reactions to stimuli... well, most humans, take away the military, and children who's brains are not completely developed nor their ability to know right from wrong...

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2005, 09:59 AM

If dolphins weren't so smart, how come none of them are posting in this thread?

budster101  (op)
Baninated
Apr 15, 2005, 10:09 AM

Maybe they are.... everyone, flippers errr hands up!

Will V.
Apr 15, 2005, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by budster101
Dogs are used to sniff drugs: People eat dog.

You are assuming that the dolphins have the brains to have MOTIVES. A higher intelligent being like humans has reasoning, and is not trained like a dog or a dolphin to do certain motor tasks based on reactions to stimuli... well, most humans, take away the military, and children who's brains are not completely developed nor their ability to know right from wrong...

American Heritage definition of motive:

An emotion, desire, physiological need, or similar impulse that acts as an incitement to action.
In other words, a motive is a desire to perform a certain motor task based on a belief, whether attained through reason, or past experience, that it will satisfy some need. In that sense, our actions are not fundamentally different than those of dogs or dolphins, they're just more complex.

budster101  (op)
Baninated
Apr 15, 2005, 11:44 AM

I'd still eat one.

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2005, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Randman
If dolphins weren't so smart, how come none of them are posting in this thread?
I think them not coming here proves how smart they are.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2005, 01:01 PM

What about wolphins?

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2005, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman
What about wolphins?
No, those are wholphins.

These are wolfins.