Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Do you tip more to attractive people?

Do you tip more to attractive people?
mindwaves
Jul 31, 2007, 06:18 PM

So I heard that this happens and I was curious if the MacNN community went the same way.

I personally do not tip more (i.e. I tip the same amount) to attractive people or people who are of a a higher aesthetic appeal to the general population compared to the average looking person. However, I figured that I might be more so inclined to tip more often (sometimes I do not tip depending on several reasons) to attractive looking people. And also, I do tip more for a more personal service like an individual cutting my hair versus several people washing my car at a car washing lot.

What about you?

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2007, 06:23 PM

I might, but it would be unintentional. I've been know to do dumb stuff when confronted with a hottie, so, maybe.

Nivag
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2007, 06:30 PM

i only tip beautiful girls, makes me feel like a pimp as i mutter under my breath get yourself something pretty

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 31, 2007, 06:31 PM

Nope. I'm a generous tipper, but it has nothing to do with looks or anything else. I do however tip lower for bad service. And I've noticed that when there is bad service, and the tip reflects that, it never occurs to the server that they didn't get 20% because they did a half-assed job, they just think I'm cheap.
Nemo me impune lacesset

andi*pandi
Jul 31, 2007, 06:31 PM

nope. service-based only.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2007, 06:36 PM

Service based only. I don't care good looking the waiter or waitress is; I go into a restaurant so I don't have to cook and clean up afterwards and to get food I normally wouldn't make for myself.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2007, 06:39 PM

You tip hairdressers?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2007, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
You tip hairdressers?
yep.

My tips are based on service level.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 31, 2007, 07:19 PM

I don't tip at all.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2007, 07:23 PM

Only hookers.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2007, 07:27 PM

I VERY rarely tip. Almost never.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2007, 08:02 PM

I tip based on service, and usually more than I probably should.
32GB iPad 2 | 32GB iPhone 4 | 11' MacBook Air 1.6 i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2007, 08:07 PM

Nope. Everyone gets 15% or a bit more.

Spook E
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 31, 2007, 08:14 PM

What would be the point of giving extra to a hot chick? Would you think to yourself "Tipped her big, she's gonna think i'm the man!" and proceed to hit on her? She'd probably feel like a hooker after that.

Smooth.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2007, 08:22 PM

Methinks it's not a conscious process.

macgeek2005
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2007, 08:26 PM

I tip alot to attractive people because I like them. I tip alot to unattractive people as well, because I feel sorry for them.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2007, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
I don't tip at all.
Exactly.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 31, 2007, 08:32 PM

Food and beverage service workers in the U.S. may be paid significantly less than the general minimum wage because the government expects them to receive a substantial tip income. So I keep that in mind in restaurants and bars. But I also recognize when a server has gone beyond "whaddaya want?" and "here you go." Decent service works out to a decent tip. Great service usually motivates me to give a really good tip AND to mention the excellent service to the manger.

I do not intentionally tip differently to people I find more attractive. That's just not right.
( Last edited by ghporter; Jul 31, 2007 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Darn typo!)

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

OreoCookie
Jul 31, 2007, 08:33 PM

Consciously? No.
Subconsciously? Perhaps … 

@erik
What's so unusual about tipping your hairdresser?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

euchomai
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2007, 08:40 PM

I thought it was a given to tip your hairdresser. I can't believe someone wouldn't, some of the places actually have the tip line on the receipt just like a restaurant.

I tip a specific percent almost every time, it leaves no room for bias. If service was sub-par, I complain to the manager and cross my fingers for a free meal. If service was excellent I'll call over the manager and tell them they have a great employee. I'll throw a few extra dollars down too.

amazing
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2007, 08:45 PM

I tip more for "service with a smile", but only if it's "good service with a smile."

OTO, d'ya notice how bad service seldom, if ever, comes with a smile? or it's more of a guilty, sorry-about-that-being-late smile?

I've only ever once not left a tip at a restaurant: the waiter at a Hungarian restaurant in Ghirardelli Square emptied the table while we were still sitting there, virtually wiped it down, as if to chase us away. Maybe he was going off shift, maybe he needed the money and didn't want the shift change to get it, but I was pretty upset--it was downright rude. I did explain about it to the manager when we left.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2007, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Nothing. Not only are you supposed to tip your stylist but also the person who washes your hair at the salon.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Visnaut
Senior User
Jul 31, 2007, 09:06 PM

I tip according to service.

If the waitor or waitress gives me attitude or just bungles things up and doesn't care, I will leave anywhere from nothing to a few percent. I really can't be bothered to complain to management, unless it's a place where I would expect excellent service. If it's just some restaurant, I'll just never go there again if I'm anything less than satisfied.

Standard service, i give about 10-15%.

Now if they go out of their way to make sure everything is good, are actually funny and personable, and can deal with any mishaps in a professional way, I can reciprocate with 20% or more.

In fact (and this may sound ludicrous to some of you) I dropped 100% once when I was absolutely taken care of. The bill hadn't come to much, and it was more of a thank you to that particular waitress for having put a previous meal on the house just because we're regulars.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2007, 09:07 PM

This thread needs more poll.

I tip based on service. If they serve me something free, I tip them more.
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2007, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Food and beverage service workers in the U.S. may be paid significantly less than the general minimum wage because the government expects them to receive a substantial tip income.
Why should that be my problem? They are in the employment of the restaurant, why should their wages all of a sudden become my responsibility? I run a business myself, I don't expect my customers to subsidize my staff - and if I would they'd declare me mad. So where is this restaurant insanity coming from?

I've said this before, I have a real issue with North American tipping culture. I realize that this is the reality of life, so I do tip (and generously if earned) but I still don't like it.

indigoimac
Senior User
Jul 31, 2007, 09:28 PM

I'm usually rather stingy. But I do tip women more than men... oh well, I don't sympathize w. my brethren.
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

OreoCookie
Jul 31, 2007, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
I've said this before, I have a real issue with North American tipping culture. I realize that this is the reality of life, so I do tip (and generously if earned) but I still don't like it.
It's a cultural thing. You don't give tips in Italy or Japan, for instance, in Germany you give less (typically about 10 % compared to 10-20 in the US). But then, the wages are higher. Ditto for hairdressers, they are paid not nearly enough and live off tips.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 31, 2007, 09:54 PM

I take it all this tipping thing is the result of a marketing ploy to drive prices down on the advertising.

i.e. "Our meals aren't $10 - they're $8!". Except the $10 place is paying a decent wage and doesn't require tipping but at the $8 place the waitress is gonna be evicted by her landlord if she doesn't get a $2 tip.

This is inevitable when a culture puts price over quality (don't worry - not a US rant, it's happening here too).

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2007, 09:57 PM

It's a cultural thing. You don't give tips in Italy or Japan, for instance, in Germany you give less (typically about 10 % compared to 10-20 in the US). But then, the wages are higher. Ditto for hairdressers, they are paid not nearly enough and live off tips.
Yeah, I realize that. Still, I don't like it. I don't go and tell my customers that "hey. I've decided not to pay my staff a living wage, so you are now expected to make it up to them, kthnxbai" so why should they?

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2007, 10:28 PM

I definitely and consciously tip more to attractive people. Well, I suppose that's not entirely true. I normally tip assuming a default of 20% + xy%. For average service, y=0. The better the service the higher the value of y, the worse the service, the lower the value of y. x behaves in a similar way but is indexed on the attractiveness of the person being tipped, but always remains above 0 (I'm not a complete asshole).

So a really hot waitress will gain more from good service than an ugly one will, but will also lose more from poor service.

And no, I don't actually go through these calculations every time I tip. I was just trying to come up with some algebraic approximation for the system...

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 1, 2007, 12:07 AM

If I traveled to another country I would find out what the custom is and tip/not tip accordingly.

Why do Europeans come to the states and tip 5% and similar. Nothing crushes a waiter who's making $3.50/hr more than getting a $5 tip on a $100 bill. Oh, except maybe a $10 tip on a $200 bill. (considering a proper tip would be about $40 for a $200 bill). The waiter tips out the bar, the busser, the foodrunner.. Often it costs the waiter money to wait on foreigners who 'act' like they don't know the tipping process.

Don't go out to eat in America if you can't afford a 15% tip, it's PART of the bill. (I never ever tip less than 15%, often upwards of 25%)

There's no two ways about it. If you don't tip, you're a serious scumbag.
ice

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 1, 2007, 12:21 AM

And I've noticed people who have worked as waiters/waitresses usually tip better. I usually sit around 15% if I like the service, I've paid to have my hair cut once and the lady that did it acted as if she was ticked that I even suggest I walk into her business and have her cut my hair for $15. She did not receive a tip.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 1, 2007, 12:26 AM

Consciously? No.
Subconsciously? Perhaps … 

@erik
In Norway, we tip food and beverage and taxies. And then a max of 10% at restaurants, and usually just the change for taxi drivers.

Tipping just isn't done in Australia. Taxi drivers even give you exact change. The food and beverage industry around here have started to expect it to some degree, but only because I live in such a tourist destination.

Tipping hairdressers? Getting a haircut is so $#%"#$ expensive already.

No one is paid on the basis the tipping is part of their income. Neither do I think it's fair to expect so, even in cultures where tipping is the norm.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 1, 2007, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
Again. That's just patently ridiculous. The price should be the price should be the price.

I can see the tip-culture being part of an incentive to improve service, but with it being expected at that level (15-25% ), there's no real incentive to it anyway is it?

I do tip if service have been above and beyond what's expected. And only then.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2007, 12:57 AM

I start at 20%. The server only gets deducted from that point onwards.
If the server does business with me, the tip usually goes up past the 20% if the service is good.
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2007, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by cjrivera View Post
I start at 20%. The server only gets deducted from that point onwards.
If the server does business with me, the tip usually goes up past the 20% if the service is good.
Same here. If I am genuinely impressed with my service (or lack thereof), it can swing from 10% to upwards of 30% (though these two extremes tend to be rare).

Like it or not, tipping is not optional in America. If we really wanted not to have to tip, then food prices would increase by about 15-20%. It's simply an implied part of the bill. If anything, I enjoy the tipping system because what I pay reflects the perceived value of my service.

(Sorry if this is mildly incoherent; I have been moving furniture all day and I'm about ready to pass out... in fact, I think I'll go do that now.)

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2007, 01:13 AM

The thing I hate about tipping is not knowing how much to tip other types of services...
valet parking
the baggage guy at the hotel
taxis
etc.

The one service that I hate tipping is the washroom attendant. WTF is that? Let me turn the water on for you and give you a towel for $1?
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

amazing
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2007, 01:22 AM

Why do Europeans come to the states and tip 5% and similar. [/b]
Tax and tip are included in the bill at many restaurants, at least in France. If you feel you received exceptional service, then you leave 5% above that.

Having the tip included is way more civilized.

Faust
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 1, 2007, 01:23 AM

Nope. The more I like someone's service and kindness, the more I'll tip. That person can be the ugliest being alive. I don't care one bit.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2007, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by Faust View Post
Nope. The more I like someone's service and kindness, the more I'll tip. That person can be the ugliest being alive. I don't care one bit.
Yup! Same here.

-Owl

red rocket
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2007, 03:21 AM

I don't give a rat's arse what the person looks like. If the service is average, they get an average tip, if it's above average, they get one at the higher end of the scale, and so on. If the service is really shıtty, they're not getting a tip, obviously.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2007, 03:39 AM

Don't go out to eat in America if you can't afford a 15% tip, it's PART of the bill. (I never ever tip less than 15%, often upwards of 25%)
Then why not include a certain percentage on the bill and pay your employees a decent wage ? People who don't tip don't need to tip in that case and people who want to tip can give something extra if they want.

Adding 25% to a bill is just nuts IMHO. When I go out eating with my gf the average bill is around €120 I guess. When you add 25% you pay €150. €30 extra is a lot of money. And I want to know what a certain restaurant costs. When I'm hungry and walk up to a restaurant to check out the menu I really don't feel like calculating percentages and whatnot to come to the real price. Just give me the damn cost. All in.

And either way, service should be reflected in the price of the food on the menu. Go to an expensive restaurant where you pay €25 or more for an entrée and you expect that the service is good. No need to dump some extra money just because the service is good since the service is supposed to be good. Go to a cheap restaurant and the service can, and most of the time will be, worse. For me the restaurant is a team. If one of the team players (your waiter/waitress) ****s up or does a really good job then it reflects on the restaurant in a whole. But they don't need to be tipped individually.
An quality restaurant* with some self respect isn't going to hire crappy people. There shouldn't be an incentive for good service. I expect good service. If you can't give me good service then go find another job. Really good waiters/waitresses take pride in the art of waiting. And they're a dying breed unfortunately.

*By quality restaurant I don't necesseraly mean expensive.

/rant

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 1, 2007, 04:02 AM

Who cares who they look (unless it's a stripper)? I want good service and I'll tip well for it. Bad service and + good looks = small tip.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Cipher13
Aug 1, 2007, 04:46 AM

Definitely.

I'm a superficial bastard.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2007, 05:02 AM

If you tip the waitress in my favourite restaurant, you'll get her fired.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2007, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
I take it all this tipping thing is the result of a marketing ploy to drive prices down on the advertising.

i.e. "Our meals aren't $10 - they're $8!". Except the $10 place is paying a decent wage and doesn't require tipping but at the $8 place the waitress is gonna be evicted by her landlord if she doesn't get a $2 tip.

This is inevitable when a culture puts price over quality (don't worry - not a US rant, it's happening here too).
It's also a great way of not paying your servers. They get paid less than minimum wage because they're expected to get tips.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2007, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
It's also a great way of not paying your servers. They get paid less than minimum wage because they're expected to get tips.
I think what Doofy is saying is that this should not be his problem - and I agree with him. Restaurants are the only business I know of where you can get away with not paying your staff, instead making their wages your customer's responsibility. Wtf?

Why should a waiter who works for a reasonably priced neighbourhood restaurant earn less than a waiter who works for an expensive place downtown? How does that work again? And why, and here it gets really silly, should a waiter who does work in an expensive place expect 20% of a, say, $2000.00 bill when a nurse, a fireman, a teacher make a fraction of that. I don't think so.

My personal answer to this is that a: I tip a higher percentage in cheap places, sometimes up to 40%*, but much lower in expensive places. I also cap my tip.

*There is a place in our Chinatown called Mother's Dumplings. Delicious, home made dumplings, friendly service, and two can eat well for $14.00. I routinely leave $20.00 and that's fine with me.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 1, 2007, 08:36 AM

Just visit a country where tipping is not the norm and see the difference in service between people who have an incentive to serve you well and those who don't. You'll become a big believer in the merits of tipping for good service.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2007, 08:38 AM

I think what Doofy is saying is that this should not be his problem - and I agree with him. Restaurants are the only business I know of where you can get away with not paying your staff, instead making their wages your customer's responsibility. Wtf?
I can't say I've ever agreed with it, but I wonder how much employment in the industry would suffer if they were paid just a straight wage.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 1, 2007, 08:41 AM

Why should that be my problem? They are in the employment of the restaurant, why should their wages all of a sudden become my responsibility? I run a business myself, I don't expect my customers to subsidize my staff - and if I would they'd declare me mad. So where is this restaurant insanity coming from?

The fact that a server may make a lot less money or a lot more money has the capacity to motivate servers. The ones that are motivated tend to give really good service no matter what, while the ones that say "whatever, I'm going to make a certain amount anyway" tend to give "whatever" kind of service. So knowing that THEY know their income depends on their performance gives me a way to recognize them for giving me better than average service.

And have you ever been a food server? It's a pretty lousy job at times. In many cases the customers are jerks and frequently customers behave as if they are "superior" to waitstaff workers. I take this into account too.

"Tipping' is actually based on an old English acronym: To Insure Promptness. It was intended as a gratuity (look that one up in OED) to encourage better than average service. Tipping in many parts of the world is a conundrum; in places where outright graft and wanton solicitation of bribery is rampant, tipping is rare... That just boggles me.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules