Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Signs of a coming jailbreak..

Signs of a coming jailbreak..
chriswithpepper  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2007, 10:10 AM

Chris McCorkle • Happy iPhone Owner!

chriswithpepper  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2007, 10:10 AM

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2007, 10:13 AM

This relies on the TIFF exploit. It will be broken in the next security update.

This may be an important step in finding a more permanent solution, but by itself isn't really praiseworthy.
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

chriswithpepper  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2007, 10:22 AM

Yep

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2007, 10:31 AM

Just about every "jailbreak" method will be broken by apple when they release updates to the device.. Getting an iphone (or an itouch) in the hopes that it can be modded so you can use it is a mistake imo.

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2007, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
Just about every "jailbreak" method will be broken by apple when they release updates to the device.. Getting an iphone (or an itouch) in the hopes that it can be modded so you can use it is a mistake imo.
Well, IIRC:

The original jailbreak worked by halting the restore process, thereby obtaining full r/w access to the filesystem. This doesn't work anymore because the file system is encrypted/signed. However, in concept, this method should still work. (iTunes has to update the phone somehow)

It follows that this method may become viable again, once the key is found. However, this is complicated by the iPhone's hardware crypto support, which this round of r/w access may enable a workaround for.
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

chriswithpepper  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2007, 10:54 AM

If it works, don't update it. That's the motto of many.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2007, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by chriswithpepper View Post
The problem could be though that at some point there may be bugs or enhancements, that apple publishes that some will want. Then there's the issue of bringing the phone in for service if its defective.

To each his own, but based on apple's decision to brick the phones and also not honoring the warranty, its a chance that I'm not willing to take. Good luck.

chriswithpepper  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2007, 12:04 PM

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2007, 12:13 PM

To each his own, but based on apple's decision to brick the phones and also not honoring the warranty, its a chance that I'm not willing to take. Good luck.
To be fair, there's been no evidence that Apple was intentionally bricking phones with the 1.1.1 update. If you're phone's been restored, it needs to be reactivated. That cannot happen without an AT&T SIM and contract or jailbreaking. We've only just got jailbreaking... and since it's based on a TIFF exploit, I don't even know if an unactivated phone can use it.
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

chriswithpepper  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2007, 12:25 PM

According to Niacin, activating is not included in this hack.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 10, 2007, 12:56 PM

Once Apple releases Leopard, the iPhone is going to need a stable OS as Apple is trying to integrate some cool features into the combination iPhone/Mac.

Once that stability is reached, I suspect the hacks will be more stable as well.

Apple's argument for locking down the iPhone is because 'you don't want hacks bringing down the entire AT&T phone network.' That of course is irrelevant on the touch.

As for Apple and iPhone bricking due to installing third party apps, that's absurd. If Apple would allow users to load their iPod flash memory like an external hard drive via iTunes, you could always wipe a bricked iPhone and start from scratch. None of the hacks does ANYTHING to the built-in OS from ROM memory. (I'm not about unlocking, which is a different story entirely and often includes a real hardware/software mod).

chriswithpepper  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2007, 05:35 PM

http://www.toc2rta.com/ - article
http://jailbreak.toc2rta.com - exploit

It's out!

Do not run the exploit if you don't already know what you're doing.

This is site may help as well: iPhone v1.1.1 Jailbreak & AppTapp Installation Guide | iPhone Alley

terryshaw09
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2007, 05:37 PM

i'm sorry but what does it mean if something is "jailbroken"?

Cold Warrior
Oct 10, 2007, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by terryshaw09 View Post
i'm sorry but what does it mean if something is "jailbroken"?
native 3rd-party apps able to be installed to and run from the iPhone. Jailbreaking it is different from unlocking.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 10, 2007, 06:28 PM

I think I'm going to wait a little bit until this has matured some more. This jailbreak deals with the itunes/iphone interface, something I'd like to keep functional for the time-being.

If you really want to run third party apps, just downgrade your OS and use the older jailbreak software.

I'm not convinced my iPhone is any easier to use as a 1.1.2 instead of a 1.0.2 phone - and it has a lot more limitations.

Update: There is a second jailbreak does NOT use the TIFF exploit.
Official iPhone 1.1.1 jailbreak released with easy-to-follow instructions; does not require TIFF exploit - iPhone Atlas

chriswithpepper  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2007, 06:36 PM

SEkker thanks for the link. trying that one.

AppleJockey
Forum Regular
Oct 10, 2007, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by chriswithpepper View Post
its realy quite simple
many 1.0.2 (sim unlocked or jailbroken)people are quite content with the awesome screen and having an ipod and a phone in one device
and can ride out for quite a while until a new version is broken
in addition to this not all features in 1.1.1 are unavailable
for example I got a plug in to enable the louder speaker on my jailbroken phone

Originally Posted by SEkker View Post
I think I'm going to wait a little bit until this has matured some more. This jailbreak deals with the itunes/iphone interface, something I'd like to keep functional for the time-being.

If you really want to run third party apps, just downgrade your OS and use the older jailbreak software.

I'm not convinced my iPhone is any easier to use as a 1.1.2 instead of a 1.0.2 phone - and it has a lot more limitations.

Update: There is a second jailbreak does NOT use the TIFF exploit.
Official iPhone 1.1.1 jailbreak released with easy-to-follow instructions; does not require TIFF exploit - iPhone Atlas
agreed
for some people the phone is perfect exactly how apple and at&t intends it to be
and for some the 3rd party apps outweigh the updates apple is cming with

it boils down to personal preference

Forum Links
Forum Rules