Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone support LEAP Authentication?

iPhone support LEAP Authentication?
nickw311
Senior User
Oct 13, 2007, 08:41 PM

From what I have found, it appears that the iPhone does not support LEAP authentication.

Is this because of the software or hardware? Why wouldn't it support LEAP? The MacBook supports it. Any chance this will change with software or hardware updates?
27" iMac C2D

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2007, 10:20 PM

Correct, it doesn't support LEAP. It's a software limitation, since I don't think you need any special hardware (aside from WEP support) to use it.
I'm not sure what your MacBook's support of LEAP has to do with the iPhone. It could change in a future software upgrade to catch up with Windows Mobile, but in general Apple is disinterested in the enterprise.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 13, 2007, 11:03 PM

Apple is not very proactive on supporting some networking standards.

I am hoping this will change with Leopard (and thus come thru via updates to the iPhone).

iPond317
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 16, 2007, 07:43 PM

I agree, my university uses LEAP in some buildings and WPA Enterprise in others. I'd really like to see these come to the iPhone with Leopard or shortly after.
iPond317 | ODU Apple Campus Rep
"Ten years ago down by the lake I sunk my sweet love down to her watery grave." - Hello Again | DMB

Old: Apple IIc, PowerMac 7200/90, iMac Bondi Blue 233, Titanium PowerBook G4 400 - New: MacBook 2.0, iPhone 8GB, AirPort Extreme Gb, iPod 30GB 5th Gen

nickw311  (op)
Senior User
Oct 18, 2007, 09:58 AM

My university exclusively uses LEAP. Apparently it is not just for the corporate environment.
27" iMac C2D

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2007, 05:25 PM

LEAP would be nice, the iPhone is pretty much useless for wireless in my office.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

jamshid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2007, 12:32 PM

Yeah, it would be really nice if Apple supported LEAP on the iphone. I am thinking of setting up a standard wireless network at work that only allows connection to our VPN server, so it seems like that would be very secure. Actually maybe we should be complaining to our IT departments to drop LEAP for a newer, more standard wireless security protocol.

Wireless security - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
LEAP
Main article: Lightweight Extensible Authentication Protocol
This stands for the Lightweight Extensible Authentication Protocol. This protocol is based on 802.1X and helps minimize the original security flaws by using WEP and a sophisticated key management system. This also uses MAC address authentication. LEAP is not safe from crackers. THC-LeapCracker can be used to break Cisco’s version of LEAP and be used against computers connected to an access point in the form of a dictionary attack.

gnomexp
Forum Regular
Oct 19, 2007, 09:19 PM

My university uses 802.1X PEAP everywhere, so it's always fun to turn away the iPhone peeps. We do, however, have to setup Treos and Blackberries to work with Exchange server.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 21, 2007, 06:48 PM

LEAP is security by obscurity...

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2007, 10:10 PM

We use 802.1X at my school too, and no it is NOT fun to have iPhone peeps turned away. I want my internet working on my phone damnit!

Forum Links
Forum Rules