Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Fonts, table border colors, performance?

Fonts, table border colors, performance?
goldengoose7
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 27, 2000, 12:31 PM

Has anyone else noticed that some fonts are displaying differently in IE 5.0 than in 4.5? My stock portfolio at Moneynet.com for example use to diaplay in a NON-SERIF, now it is displayed in a FAR LESS READABLE SAN SERIF??? It appears that the VARIABLE FONT parameters are being interpreted a bit differently. This must be an attempt to become more compatable with HTML 4.0 specs, although I much preferred the way my moneynet portfolio looked before in IE 4.5! ;o)

TABLE BORDER COLORS WHERE NONE ARE ASSIGNED?

Also, it appears that if a page has a table border that has not been assigned a color, the color will be taken from the text that is contained within that table?

Found a few pages on our own web site that were diaplaying GREEN table borders even though no color for this feature had been specified. The text within the table WAS green.

PERFORMANCE:

In terms of performance, I am seeing a dramatic improvement in speed between 4.5 and 5.0 on my G4 500 running OS 9.02, but slightly slower speeds on a B&W G3 400 running 8.6? Go figure.

Golden Goose
Records

giantmike
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 27, 2000, 12:58 PM

Most table oddities that I have found were due to poorly written code, mainly due to WYSIWIG editors. Try running your pages through an HTML validator to see any problems that should be fixed.

On my page (which is done entirly by hand), I have tables nested within tables nested within tables. The page has no problems whatsoever with IE5. I attribute this to very well written code.

------------------
My Home Page:
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Hills/6629/

Giantmike's Website - Version 5.0

Kon-El
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 28, 2000, 01:07 AM

Also IE5, depending on the set-up can highlight a table. click on tab to see if it moves to others, but yes, most problems you will see are bad coding problems.

Lets hope IE for Windoze does this so people start coding right!

Pax Christi,
-Nik!
In Christ,
Deacon Nikolai
http://nstanosheck.wordpress.com

Kon-El
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 28, 2000, 01:10 AM

Also IE5 changes your font selections to prefered selections, You can always change this where you change your defaukt size back from 16 to 12 if you like.

Personally I like what they changed on my settings (save for the size of the font from 12 to 16. Boy was that a shocker!) I love the 96dpi, which solves the microprint fonts on some sites, while mostly there is no difference on my regular sites! Go IE team!

Pax Christi,
-Nik!
In Christ,
Deacon Nikolai
http://nstanosheck.wordpress.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules