Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > New iBook: Can't install updates, can't run Software update.

New iBook: Can't install updates, can't run Software update.
Chet Ript
Forum Regular
Jun 13, 2001, 11:43 PM

I have a 2001 iBook and just installed OS X on it. I set up 4k78 and got online to begin updating the software but I CAN'T!!!

When I run the Software Update control panel it just sits there and eventually tells me "Software Update has not been used yet" OK, I said, and just downloaded the 10.0.3 update from version tracker. (Couldn't get 10.0.1 or .2 so I figured this was the only update I needed.) When I ran the installer it just tells me "This software can not be installed on this computer" WTF is this CRAP!!
This is a brand new machine with 384mb of RAM and you'd better F...ing believe this software can be installed on this maching STEVE J.

Obviously I know this has nothing to do with my hardware but still....Is this a permisions/user/admin/root type thing or what. I have succesfully installed OS X on my G4 with NO problems updating. Please, if you have any suggestions or know what the problem may be, fill me in. Thanks.

PS - can't run the installer while logged is as root either. SWU, same thing.

lexicon5
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2001, 12:28 AM

Make sure that the SWU version is 1.31. If not, you HAVE to update that first.......then you can update to 10.0.3. I do not believe that 10.0.2 is mandatory.
But, it appears as though SWU is broken anyway..........My SWU does nothing for about a minute and then comes back without updating the last time I ran it. Someone else posted the same question/remark.
'A computer without a Microsoft operating system is like a dog without bricks tied to its head.'- attributed to Bruce Lundberg

Chet Ript  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 14, 2001, 02:04 AM

I did update SWU before trying to update to 10.0.3 but it still does the same thing. Weird thing is I was able to run the installer for SWU 1.3.1 and it did not give me the "This software can not be installed on this computer" message, but when I try to run the 10.0.3 updater I get that message. Could this be a result of trying to upgrade to 10.0.3 directly from 10.0.0? If so, can I still get the previous updaters and run them first. But, why does SWU still not work and give me "Software Update has not been used yet." message every time. I can't believe I'm stuck using 4k78 until I can fix this.

Chet Ript  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 14, 2001, 03:24 AM

Figured most of it out. Had to install 10.0.1 first then apply the 10.0.3 update. Strange, I'm sure all of this would be easier if my stinking SWU would just work but it's still giving me the same problems. "Software Update has not been used yet." CRAP!! This means no IE update for me. Why can't Apple just put the freakin update on the site for d/ling! GRRRRRR

Forum Links
Forum Rules