Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > anyone in chicago have the free x.1 update cds?

anyone in chicago have the free x.1 update cds?
mike one
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 8, 2001, 05:24 PM

I can't get a free copy of the update anywhere in this gosh darn one apple store town.

comp usa: nope, apple store in schaumberg: nope.

anyone know if these stores will be getting more. i called and it didn't sound too prominsing. if that is the case, then apple sure meant "while supplies last." bah!!!

anyone got the update cds willing to share them with a complete stranger, so that i can dupe 'em?
pretty please.

if anyone knows the lowdown on how to get these things (and not for 19.95 ) reply or drop me an email, i've got a car, i'm desperate, anyone? anyone? someone please help

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2001, 05:27 PM

If you want to drive down to Champaign, I've got one

Wait a minute.. I thought u were suppose to be able to burn your own copies in the Apple Stores. Is this not the case? U'd think they'd keep one upgrade CD around for duplication. Oh well.

F-bacher[/LIST]

mike one  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 8, 2001, 06:42 PM

Originally posted by Ghoser777:
<STRONG>If you want to drive down to Champaign, I've got one

Wait a minute.. I thought u were suppose to be able to burn your own copies in the Apple Stores. Is this not the case? U'd think they'd keep one upgrade CD around for duplication. Oh well.

F-bacher[/LIST]</STRONG>

thanks for the offer! someone emailed me who is closer, so i'm gonna get the copies from them.

those apple bastards free updates until 10.31.01 or while supplies last. HAHAHHAHAHAHA the jokes on me!

i thought they'd let you dupe them in store too, but the guy on the phone wasn't too helpful.

man after shelling out 30 for the beta and however much for X.0 i don't feel much like paying an extra $20, you know? maybe i'm just cheap, no i remember now, i'm a poor grad student.

thanks again.

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2001, 06:52 PM

I went to the Apple Store last Friday and asked for a copy. The guy at the register reached into the drawer and threw a CD into my hands. Took thirty seconds. And I've been a happier guy ever since.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

Danoir
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2001, 06:54 PM

If you don't mind coming up to Evanston, there is a small reseller in the downtown area that still has some CDs. The place is called Nabih's and it is on Davis, in between Hinman and Chicago. You can get directions off of any map website, but really, all you need to know is head north on either Chicago or Sheridan, look for Davis. If you get to the point where Chicago and Sheridan meet, you' ve gone too far, but only by a half a mile.

Hope that helps

D

Singrfreak
Oct 8, 2001, 07:25 PM

funny thing, it is...I e-mailed him saying I'd duplicate the copy, and Nabih's is actually where I got my update the day it came out! 'tis a smal world.
TiBook 500
384 mb RAM
OS X/OS 9 (sep. partitions)

MDiddy
Oct 8, 2001, 08:03 PM

Got mine at Micro Center in Westmont like 3 days ago. There's two in also one on the north side of Chicago too. 10.1 is sweet!
"Litter is my most treacherous foe. I would like to eat its children."
-Drederick Tatum

Chet Ript
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2001, 08:06 PM

I was at the Micro Centre on Elston and Logan Blvd. 2 days ago and they had a ton.

+ spiral +
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2001, 09:30 PM

Originally posted by Chet Ript:
<STRONG>I was at the Micro Centre on Elston and Logan Blvd. 2 days ago and they had a ton. </STRONG>
nice. the story was that FedEx lost them... hmmm sure. same with comp usa. so here i am if anyone wants a copy.

no driving to other exotic illinois locations necessary unless you want to take me to walker bros. pancake house. yummm.

[email protected]

Singrfreak
Oct 8, 2001, 11:26 PM

Walker Bros.....yumm...I haven't been there in entirely too long. Just a side note, sorry
TiBook 500
384 mb RAM
OS X/OS 9 (sep. partitions)

techweenie1
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2001, 12:46 AM

I went out to schaumberg and got mine last Friday. If they ran out you should try sometime later this week. I don't know about other Microcenter's but the one in Westmont told me that I needed to bring a receipt and a blank CD. Apple Store said just bring yourself. Although it was a 15 min drive up 355 & 290-West it was well worth it.

zos
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2001, 01:04 AM

So many Chicago-area mac enthusiasts! Add me to the list...way out in the boonies (DeKalb, I'm going to NIU). I've been waiting for my student developer mailing which should have it but until then I've been screwing around in one of the early builds.

Keep the mac spirit alive with me Illinois people.

mike one  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 9, 2001, 09:33 AM

Thanks to all for the responses.

I didn't know about microcenter. i'm gonna check these places in the phone book today and see if anyone has em.

the guy at the apple store said they didn't have anymore, that's all.
plus it is about 50 minutes from where i live.

my masterplan to get osx.1 for free hasn't been foiled yet!
HaHa!

Chet Ript
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2001, 11:22 AM

So many Chicago-area mac enthusiasts! Add me to the list...way out in the boonies (DeKalb, I'm going to NIU). I've been waiting for my student developer mailing which should have it but until then I've been screwing around in one of the early builds.

Keep the mac spirit alive with me Illinois people.
NICE! I went to NIU too. Ahhh....Dekalb. I miss it sometimes. Otto's $2 big ass Shlitz. Molly's/Amnesia's wasted hottie fest. Never once road the rail. Say hi to all the locals at Andy's for me. Ok, I'll stop now.

tonewheel
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2001, 11:48 AM

Got mine the morning they came out. Went to CompUSA in Lombard, on Butterfield Road at I-355. They had boxes of them, but kept them in a back room. You had to ask for one. They had people who thought that the upgrade would install 10.0 if it wasn't already installed on your computer. They were playing it safe.

Hey, you miss DeKalb???! Where the heck do you live??

Forum Links
Forum Rules