Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Dammit, where to get to get CHEAP used SCSI drives in Toronto?

Dammit, where to get to get CHEAP used SCSI drives in Toronto?
Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2001, 05:18 PM

I need to run this 8500 to run ONE piece of 10 year old equipment, but alas, the hard drive is toast. I can't find any cheap SCSI drive. Where can I get a good used cheap one?

kpttripp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2001, 08:24 PM

http://www.hummingbirdservices.ca/dealers.html

I don't know if you know this link but I use it all the time.
MacDoc and Clickon are my favourite.
I don't live in Toronto but my son does, he might get you booted if that is al you need. Contact me for more info.

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 20, 2001, 10:29 PM

http://www.acard.com/eng/product/sp/aec-7720uw.html

This adapts any IDE drive to a SCSI connector.

So, for about $80 U.S. and a small inexpensive (maybe already ownded) IDE drive, you would be back in business.

Or, you can get an IDE PCI Card for about $100 U.S. for the Mac that looks to the computer like it is a SCSI card. It is bootable.

Also, could you make up a bootable CD-ROM to run your particular piece of equipment. If it needed temp storage, you could create a RAM disk as well.

My .02

drewman

<Mad_Hatter>
Nov 25, 2001, 11:49 AM

Avoid SCA drives with adapters. What's cheap when 100MB drives use to cost $1000? ebay? Not. www.hypermicro.com and a true 50-pin.

If you said "I need a 3GB 50-pin drive" that would help. Shreve, Sun Remarketing and others sell used older equipment. OWC has a 9GB ~ $109 and you're best off with 50-pin or at worst 68-pin and adapter, just not SCA 80pin.

Sometimes you can pick up an old 7500 w/ drive for price of drive...

sine -''-..-
Grizzled Veteran
Location: meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meo
Nov 28, 2001, 09:41 PM

pfff.

A1 electronics
718 kipling ave
416-255-0343

i used to work there... ask for a scsi 1 50-pin drive. theyre pretty cheap, dont be afraid to haggle a little bit. just dont be cocky.

tell them afro boy sent you, if you want to make glen mad.
sine -''-..-

now known as pillowcase

Forum Links
Forum Rules