Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Fast User Switching: Aqua / Console

Fast User Switching: Aqua / Console
beetle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2003, 01:27 PM

For several months I have been reading these forums and have found them a useful source for weighing up the pros and cons of moving to the Mac platform (I am currently a Windows / Linux user thinking of getting a Rev.B PB 12").

I am wondering whether it is possible to use Panther's Fast User Switching feature to alternate between a ">console" session of one user and an Aqua session of another. A recent submission on Mac OS X Hints (http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...31102031045417) explains how FUS can be used from the Terminal. I can imagine, however, that as the console does not sit on top of the Aqua environment the use of FUS is not an option. Therefore it is highly unlikely that this functionality is possible. But could someone confirm this is the case? Afterall, it would be a very nice feature if it were acheivable!

Also, to gain an insight into the processor speed of a Rev.B PB 12", can anyone tell me the encoding speed they acheive using Lame to encode an mp3 file (from a wav) with the "--alt-preset standard" switch?

Thanks in advance.

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2003, 01:31 PM

Fast user switching does not work with >console, unfortunately. >console just does nothing when you try to use it and somebody else is logged in.
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

beetle  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2003, 03:12 PM

...as expected :|

So, does anyone use Lame?

IamBob
Senior User
Nov 9, 2003, 03:17 PM

I am wondering whether it is possible to use Panther's Fast User Switching feature to alternate between a ">console" session of one user and an Aqua session of another.
I wonder if you couldn't hack Terminal into going full-screen. Not quite the same as a >console session but maybe it would be good enough?

You might ask in the Developer section (or on cocoadev). Maybe putting a $10 reward on it would catch someone's eye. If I had Panther (yes, I feel deprived) I know I'd give it a shot.

Also, to gain an insight into the processor speed of a Rev.B PB 12", can anyone tell me the encoding speed they acheive using Lame to encode an mp3 file (from a wav) with the "--alt-preset standard" switch?
You can't make an informed decision based on a benchmark like that - too many variables to consider. What you really want to do is use one first-hand so you can throw some of your work/play at it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules