Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iOS Apps > Managing Photos on iPhone

Managing Photos on iPhone
ghporter
Administrator
Apr 28, 2019, 08:43 PM

I have a bazillion photos on my phone, some having been taken five phones ago, and just "restored" with each iteration of "back up old phone, restore new phone".

Thorzdad's thread about Camera Roll vs Photostream, etc. got me thinking about this - or rather got me thinking about it yet again.

Many of my photos are of subjects I want to keep handy and findable; family members, pets, impressive places I've visited, etc. I have these photos sorted into other folders ("Dad," "Pets," and so on).

If I plug into a desktop or laptop and let the Mac automatically download the pictures, there's an option to erase the pictures on the phone. But what about folders other than Camera Roll? Will that auto download/erase ONLY erase the Camera Roll folder?

If not, is there another option for backing up all the pictures and erasing just the Camera Roll?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2019, 09:48 PM

It will download and erase any picture not on already on the Mac. The photos in the dad and pets albums are in the camera roll. If you do download and delete, those will be deleted. The pain in the ass is if you want to delete photos already in photos. You have to manually delete from your phone. I may have made things worse by buying the 2TB iCloud backup. All my pics in Photos show on my phone in an album called all photos.
45/47

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Apr 29, 2019, 01:52 PM

So I’ll have to somehow put the pictures I want to keep handy in some other folder/album... Not ideal, but neither is having 2200 pictures on my phone.

Now I gotta figure out how to do that without buying some expensive app just to put my pictures in some nonvolatile spot on the phone.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2019, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
So I’ll have to somehow put the pictures I want to keep handy in some other folder/album... Not ideal, but neither is having 2200 pictures on my phone.

Now I gotta figure out how to do that without buying some expensive app just to put my pictures in some nonvolatile spot on the phone.
Once they are on your Mac you can always create an album for them and put them back on the phone.
45/47

demoai
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2019, 04:47 AM

Actually, it's not difficult to manage Photos on iPhone. You can use iOS Data Manager tool to help you export all photos from iPhone to computer for backup directly via usb cable. And you can also delete photos you don't want directly.

flapple18
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2019, 10:02 PM

Transferring photos via usb cable is the method I'm currently using. I don't use apps to organize my photos. I do it myself since I can monitor photos individually and decide which one to delete or transfer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules