Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Manny gets a vacation!

Manny gets a vacation!
Dork.
Professional Poster
May 7, 2009, 03:18 PM

Manny Ramirez suspended 50 games for positive drug test - MLB - SI.com

So, Manny gets to take 50 games off before July 4th. Isn't that a normal season for him? Except this time, when he quits on the team, he won't be getting paid for it.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2009, 03:41 PM

I don't understand the pro-Manny perspective here. Is it hard for the players to give their doctors the list of banned substances and to make sure that they're cool with what they're using? It's smart regardless to have some idea of what you're putting in your body.

Of course, I do inject turpentine into my ass once a week, but that's only to give it its nice and glossy finish.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 7, 2009, 03:54 PM

I agree the doc should have the list. It changes so often that, at this rate, the league needs to start having their own doctors so players don't have to go to third parties for any type of treatment.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2009, 03:57 PM

Apparently the players are issued the list at the beginning of each season and it's pretty clear. It should be the responsibility of the players to be accountable for the substances they take, they are grown men.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2009, 04:19 PM

Give him a break. He only had 11 years to find out what banned substances were on the list.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 7, 2009, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Apparently the players are issued the list at the beginning of each season and it's pretty clear. It should be the responsibility of the players to be accountable for the substances they take, they are grown men.
Agreed, but we are talking about prescriptions in this case. His Doctor should have this information as well, being he is giving him prescription medication. This list changes every year, so they both should be in the loop. Over the counter stuff he should be responsible for, no doubt, but his doctor should also know before writing out prescriptions.

At this point it really doesn't matter though, damage done.

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
May 7, 2009, 06:15 PM

Goodbye Manny. You deserve it.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

sdilley14
Mac Elite
May 7, 2009, 06:23 PM

Karma for being a d-bag in the offseason and rejecting the first $25mil offer the Dodgers gave him.
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2009, 06:58 PM

Thank goodness, he deserved one:

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2009, 07:20 PM

Go Royals!

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2009, 07:43 PM

i think MR is a freakin' awesome hitter and always considered him too stupid for steroids but let's see how this goes. what was the substance? if it was steroid/hgh related - then he's with all the other guys we hate. if it was something like a flu medicine or something then i'm not going to blast him for it (since i'm not a LA fan).

Maflynn
Professional Poster
May 7, 2009, 07:55 PM

Ramirez said he did not take steroids and was given medication by a doctor that contained a banned substance. A person familiar with the details of the suspension said Ramirez used the female fertility drug HCG, or human chorionic gonadotropin. The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the banned substance wasn’t announced.
From what I've read this drug is used by those who take steroids to either mask it some how or compensate for the side affects of the stuff. I can't see how he can say he took female fertility drug for an undisclosed medical issue with a straight face.

While the players are given a list at the beginning of the season, they are also told (over and over) any questions about prescriptions should be brought to the attention of the players union before taking it. Claiming ignorance in the current environment just doesn't pass the sniff test.
~Mike

Dork.  (op)
Professional Poster
May 7, 2009, 08:42 PM

I long for those wide-eyed, innocent days before steroids, when all the ballplayers were either drunk or high on coke instead. The game seemed so much purer then.

No 'roid rage there!

Rumor
May 7, 2009, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by glideslope View Post
Goodbye Manny. You deserve it.
Originally Posted by sdilley14 View Post
Karma for being a d-bag in the offseason and rejecting the first $25mil offer the Dodgers gave him.
Agreed on both accounts.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2009, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Of course, I do inject turpentine into my ass once a week, but that's only to give it its nice and glossy finish.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Rumor
May 7, 2009, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
That has to be one of the least shocking things he has said around here.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

sdilley14
Mac Elite
May 7, 2009, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Maflynn View Post
From what I've read this drug is used by those who take steroids to either mask it some how or compensate for the side affects of the stuff. I can't see how he can say he took female fertility drug for an undisclosed medical issue with a straight face.

While the players are given a list at the beginning of the season, they are also told (over and over) any questions about prescriptions should be brought to the attention of the players union before taking it. Claiming ignorance in the current environment just doesn't pass the sniff test.
Its a PCT or post cycle therapy substance. Once people start taking a cycle of steroids the body's natural production of testosterone is decreased. This sort of substance is used after a steroid cycle to help the body start producing natural levels of testosterone. He tested positive for this in spring training, and most steroid cycles are 6-8 weeks, so I'm guessing he was on some sort of steroid cycle in the offseason and planned on being off it and having it out of his system by the time spring training came around.

Idiot.
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

Hg2491
Grizzled Veteran
May 7, 2009, 11:44 PM

Oh yes, a Dominican in baseball.

The problem with Dominican baseball players is that they used to be poor. When they become famous and rich they drift to the use of controlled substances and other illegal things.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
May 8, 2009, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Hg2491 View Post
The problem with Dominican baseball players is that they used to be poor. When they become famous and rich they drift to the use of controlled substances and other illegal things.
I don't think this is race/nationality related and saying stuff like that could easy become insulting to many people.

Take a look at McGwire, Bonds, Consceco, Clemons, Petite, Sheffield, etc. Just to name a few people implicated in the steroids.

The list goes on and on and crosses all lines, both race and nationality. Clearly the motivation is not related to where they were born but rather these guys egos are so huge that they get insulted if someone else surpasses them in some way. They wanted huge successes in the game and the only way to do that was to cheat. It doesn't matter if one was from the DR or the US
~Mike

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
May 8, 2009, 08:57 AM

Somebody should release a "tell all" book on Manny.....yeah, that would be a swell idea.

Dork.  (op)
Professional Poster
May 8, 2009, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by rickey939 View Post
Somebody should release a "tell all" book on Manny.....yeah, that would be a swell idea.
I think it will be out shortly before he gets back from his suspension, based largely on his Wikipedia page and posts about him on Deadspin....

Phileas
Mac Elite
May 8, 2009, 10:06 AM

Ooops.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 8, 2009, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Hg2491 View Post
Yeah! Barry Bonds and Mark McGwire should go back home!
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules