Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Photo Critique Thread - [JPEG]

Photo Critique Thread - [JPEG] (Page 30)
mr. burns
Senior User
Jul 22, 2009, 03:08 AM

18-50mm f/2.8 EX
it's really an awesome lens for the price and i've gotten a ton of great shots with it, but can only be used with cropped sensors, unless you want some crazy obnoxious vignetting. i guess it does look a little like the 17-40 or 16-35mm L.

not all who wander are lost.

paul w
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2009, 04:34 PM

Last month, at the beach in France (scanned film shot with the Leica).

richwig83
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2009, 03:44 PM

Shortly before it blew up....
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2009, 04:15 PM

Any PP done on that richwig83 ?

richwig83
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2009, 05:28 PM

Minimal... just in Aperture. Bit of contrast and highlight adjustment. No sharpening!

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2009, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by richwig83 View Post
Minimal... just in Aperture. Bit of contrast and highlight adjustment. No sharpening!
This might be just me, but it feels weird with the car going up hill, and it would seem much more fitting if you had tilted the other way to emphasize the speed. My 2¢

richwig83
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2009, 06:21 PM

That is just the way it came out of the camera. Looking through my flickr 75% of my motorsport panning is angled!

This isnt my photo (one of my friends) but i presume that your comment would still stand?

Thanks for your comments!

Rich

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2009, 06:30 PM

For me, the angle is too harsh on that one, and the front tire being clipped bothers me too. The picture itself is quite active, I don't need the harsh angle to sell the motion. A slight dutch can accentuate the motion, but this is too much, for me.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 5, 2009, 08:00 PM

I'd prefer less of an angle on those as well. I've got enough to worry about when I'm panning racecars to also rake my camera at a crazy angle and fit everything in frame properly. Just sayin'

OH, and also y'all, I dunked my D40 in the ocean today. Solidly, 1/2 to 2/3 of the body, lens side(left), in the salt. It was momentary, and I immediately pulled the battery, toweled it off and sat it for a few hours. It's working fine right now. Kit lens was mounted, it's still sitting in a bag of rice. I think I'm subconsciously trying to kill this lens.

ice

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2009, 09:30 AM

I would have sworn that there was lots done. The clarity and the colour of the car may have something to do with it. Very nice shot, next time, get it exploding

EDIT : next purchase is a decent zoom. A deer walked through the garden yesterday.

Cropping needed maybe?

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Aug 6, 2009, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by paul w View Post

My critique may be harsh, are you sure you want a criticism of this picture?

Cute baby.
( Last edited by Railroader; Aug 7, 2009 at 12:19 PM. )

richwig83
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2009, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
I would have sworn that there was lots done. The clarity and the colour of the car may have something to do with it. Very nice shot, next time, get it exploding

EDIT : next purchase is a decent zoom. A deer walked through the garden yesterday.

Cropping needed maybe?
Yeah a good zoom is paramount!!

Heres the original... just cropped no PP!
http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/1...lecombe471.jpg

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 6, 2009, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
My critique may be harsh, are you sure you want a criticism of this picture?
I could sum up my own impression of the picture as "nice snapshot." There's nice color in the foreground, and the baby's as precious as can be. But I don't like the framing, the focus/depth, or the lighting of anything but the baby, and I can't see how to effectively crop the picture to make it work better than it does now.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Phileas
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2009, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I could sum up my own impression of the picture as "nice snapshot." There's nice color in the foreground, and the baby's as precious as can be. But I don't like the framing, the focus/depth, or the lighting of anything but the baby, and I can't see how to effectively crop the picture to make it work better than it does now.
I've got exactly the opposite expression. I love that shot. Why? Because it tells a story, it invites you to imagine the before and after. It makes you feel like you were there, on the beach with the family. ANd of course, it has that gorgeous film look.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 6, 2009, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
I've got exactly the opposite expression. I love that shot. Why? Because it tells a story, it invites you to imagine the before and after. It makes you feel like you were there, on the beach with the family. ANd of course, it has that gorgeous film look.
Yeah, but I loved my kitty picture too... This is simply a different point of view.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2009, 11:58 AM

Yeah, but I loved my kitty picture too... This is simply a different point of view.
For sure. We can't all love the same things. Life would be boring.

paul w
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2009, 02:19 PM

I'm sorry to create controversy, I threw it up in a spontaneous way.

A casual photo taken on the beach - with a film camera that I'm still learning to (re)master (things like focus, framing, exposure and such are bigger challenges when you have fewer shots, less control and see the result a couple weeks later) - should not be subject to the same scrutiny as something I'm getting paid to shoot.

And no offense, but I'm not really inclined to put my paid work here - though there are examples of it kicking around.

EDIT: and perusing the thread a bit, I'm not sure why I seemed to have been single out by the OP. You can critique all you want, but the cheeky comments make you look like a dick.
( Last edited by paul w; Aug 6, 2009 at 02:26 PM. )

ApertureValue
Forum Regular
Aug 6, 2009, 09:10 PM

Here is one of my newer HDR's. This meadow didn't look vibrant like this for very long.

MacBook Pro 2.66GHz | iPhone 3G | 
Canon EOS 7D | EF-S 18-135mm IS | 580EXII

Flickr
Tome Curator

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Aug 6, 2009, 10:11 PM

I'm sorry to create controversy, I threw it up in a spontaneous way.

A casual photo taken on the beach - with a film camera that I'm still learning to (re)master (things like focus, framing, exposure and such are bigger challenges when you have fewer shots, less control and see the result a couple weeks later) - should not be subject to the same scrutiny as something I'm getting paid to shoot.

And no offense, but I'm not really inclined to put my paid work here - though there are examples of it kicking around.

EDIT: and perusing the thread a bit, I'm not sure why I seemed to have been single out by the OP. You can critique all you want, but the cheeky comments make you look like a dick.
So is that a "yes"? I wasn't being "cheeky", I was being honest. Not singling you out, just thought I'd randomly pick a snapshot that wasn't critiques yet and critique it.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 6, 2009, 10:39 PM

So is that a "yes"? I wasn't being "cheeky", I was being honest. Not singling you out, just thought I'd randomly pick a snapshot that wasn't critiques yet and critique it.
No, you most certainly weren't singling him out. My own attempts have received somewhat harsh, but definitely accurate critiques from you and others here. That's what the thread is for. You can't use techniques you don't know about, and you can't develop good technical skills without learning them. Which means making mistakes and having them pointed out.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2009, 07:52 AM

I would have taken offense at RR's comment as well. Whether it was intentional or not, to me what was written came across as patronizing.

There are people out there where I would just suck this kind of thing up - because I respect their ability as an artist enough to put up with whatever is being said - but this isn't one of these occasions.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 7, 2009, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by ApertureValue View Post
Here is one of my newer HDR's. This meadow didn't look vibrant like this for very long.

In an effort to get back on track, I'll comment on this very lovely picture.

How much "enhancement" is in this picture? The saffron of the flowers and the green of the trees is so intense-it looks like there's a lot of post-processing in the picture. Is that what I'm seeing or is it just the HDR?

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 7, 2009, 08:28 AM

Well, that’s what HDR is: it’s post-processing that enhances the richness in colours (and has other side effects, but AV seems to have thankfully avoided those in this shot).

richwig83
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2009, 08:53 AM

ApertureValue... did you use a ND grad or is the graduated sky a HDR result??

Nice picture, i think it would benefit from a crop to remove the object in the right bottom corner!

Rich

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Aug 7, 2009, 09:56 AM

I would have taken offense at RR's comment as well. Whether it was intentional or not, to me what was written came across as patronizing.
I guess I should have just critiqued it and left it at that. But with previous discussions about people including snapshots, I wasn't sure everyone wanted critiques or were just showing pictures that they liked, which is NOT what this thread was about.

Speaking of patronizing...
There are people out there where I would just suck this kind of thing up - because I respect their ability as an artist enough to put up with whatever is being said - but this isn't one of these occasions.

ApertureValue
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2009, 10:22 AM

It was the HDR that did most of that. I had to clone out a couple of power poles in the treeline, but it was really just that beautiful a day and scene.

I've waffled back and forth on the clump of brown in that lower, right corner, but when I brought up the crop line, it seemed to take too much of the lazy Susan's lower area to me. I suppose that, too, could be cloned out.

Thank you for the comments!

Flickr
Tome Curator

hayesk
Aug 7, 2009, 10:23 AM

How much "enhancement" is in this picture? The saffron of the flowers and the green of the trees is so intense-it looks like there's a lot of post-processing in the picture. Is that what I'm seeing or is it just the HDR?
HDR is a composite of two or more images, so I suspect the flowers moved slightly between the two shots giving it a more post-processed look. Some of it can be compensated in software, but it's not perfect.

However, it's one of the better HDR images I've seen. To me, HDR is like movie special effects - the more transparent the effect, the better the result.

OreoCookie
Aug 7, 2009, 10:54 AM

I'm a bit late to the party.
I have to agree with Railroader: it seems like a random shot that wasn't taken very carefully. Of course you don't plan snapshots (otherwise it wouldn't be a snapshot anymore). There are people and things growing out of your baby's head, your wife's shoulder blade takes up a humongous part of the picture (which probably not many women would appreciate), etc. etc. Your kid's expression is cute, though.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Aug 7, 2009, 12:17 PM

C&C Welcome!!
The crop framing might be a bit too tight high in the shot. A bit more of the neck leading into the body of the bird wouldn't make it look as much like a disembodied head. But I like the colors and the sharpness of the shot. Perhaps boost the exposure a tiny bit. The expression on the bird is interesting as well. Depth of field is perfect. The bird POPS out of the image. Looking at the larger version you can see a lot of detail.

"Gap kids" shot:

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 7, 2009, 01:08 PM

^ Something about the lighting in that one strikes me as being off. I think it’s the change in hue from the rear (=right) part of the kids head (i.e., the skin around his ear and on the cheek), as opposed to the very bright whiteness of the skin on and around his nose. Looks like a flash was placed too close to his face or something.

I also think his eyelashes are too long (they cover his eyes so you can’t even tell what colour they are properly), but short of telling the kid to cut/pluck his eyelashes before the shot, I’m not sure how to avoid that.

It’s a nice photo, but it looks very much like a stock photo to me; there’s symbolism and abstractness in it, but not much story. The only thing that really gives it a story is the towel (did he just come out of the water? Was he rescued from a sunken boat? etc.).

ApertureValue
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2009, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
It’s a nice photo, but it looks very much like a stock photo to me; there’s symbolism and abstractness in it, but not much story. The only thing that really gives it a story is the towel (did he just come out of the water? Was he rescued from a sunken boat? etc.).
But, as with anything else in the world, it's all in the eye of the beholder. There really doesn't need to be a deep-seeded "message" or story in every photo we look at. To me, that goes way too overboard when every picture starts being overanalyzed.

I do like the photo's color, and the composition is pleasing. I agree, however, about the eyes, but again, how would you avoid that in the first place?

Flickr
Tome Curator

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 7, 2009, 02:43 PM

But, as with anything else in the world, it's all in the eye of the beholder. There really doesn't need to be a deep-seeded "message" or story in every photo we look at. To me, that goes way too overboard when every picture starts being overanalyzed.
I agree completely. A stock photo, in order to be a good stock photo, should not have or imply too much of a story, but it should still be able to give plenty of associations and ideas—and this shot fits both those criteria perfectly.

Stock photos are not easy to take by any means; but since they’re generally less open for interpretation and analysing, I think they’re poorer choices for this thread than ‘stronger’ photos (i.e., photos with more story, emotion, etc.).

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Aug 7, 2009, 03:25 PM

^ Something about the lighting in that one strikes me as being off. I think it’s the change in hue from the rear (=right) part of the kids head (i.e., the skin around his ear and on the cheek), as opposed to the very bright whiteness of the skin on and around his nose. Looks like a flash was placed too close to his face or something.

I also think his eyelashes are too long (they cover his eyes so you can’t even tell what colour they are properly), but short of telling the kid to cut/pluck his eyelashes before the shot, I’m not sure how to avoid that.

The shot was for a family that spends EVERY single leisure hour at the beach. They own a cottage on Lake Michigan* where the sand it exceptionally white and caused the lightness on the front of the face. He was facing the water and it was exceptionally bright that day. That caused him to be unable to open his eyes as much as I would have liked. The color of the towel was chosen by mom to highlight the boy's hair (dad wasn't happy with his boy wrapped in a pink towel).

My biggest grip about the shot is that there are no catch lights in the eyes. The eyes don't look "dead", they just don't have the life that a catch light would provide. I tried PSing in some, but it just did not work.

*They invite us every Memorial day (end of May) and Labor Day (beginning of Sept.) weekend to stay with them. As a way of giving back, I do their family portraits for free.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 7, 2009, 09:39 PM

I like the picture, RR. I think the boy's red towel is not the best color for his skin, and it makes the contrast between foreground and background a little extreme. But it has a lot of good stuff in it. Now, was he thinking about the upcoming ice cream cone, or about how to plaster his sister with a water balloon? That's about the only story I get out of it. Cute kid, well photographed.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 8, 2009, 01:26 AM

Basically, I dipped my kit lens in the ocean:

ice

richwig83
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2009, 04:12 AM

Very nice.. although id like to see both her arms!

Phileas
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2009, 09:38 AM

Allow me to elaborate. It's one of the main reasons I am not much participating in this thread. The right to critique needs to be backed up, by ability, by skill, by experience, otherwise a critique is little more than a glorified opinion.

And while I am all for people having opinions, not all opinions are created equal. The reason I picked on you a little, and I apologize for my snarkyness, is that you have a habit of being quite forthright in what you say, yet I have seen little in your images that makes me respect your opinions much. And before you think that I am being an ass again, please allow me to elaborate on this a little.

Were I to post some woodwork, or a bunch of home-brewed beer, for appraisal I know that your critique would be based on knowledge and experience. However harsh, I would take what I could out of it in terms of learning and thank you for sharing your knowledge. I work in an industry that's known for the severity and brutality of the criticism it dishes out - I've worked with creative directors who would make you look the gentlest of lambs - and I developed an extremely thick skin in these matters a long time ago.

Now you have every right to ask what makes me such an expert. I am now a Creative Director myself, working on a collection of some of the largest brands on the planet. I've worked with photography and photographers for 20 years now, at times with some of the very best, like David Bailey for example. As a result, I give more weight to my opinion than to yours, however force-right you might express it. To make the woodworking comparison again, were I to be as forthcoming with my opinions about the merits of a piece of cabinetry as you are about photography, you'd probably react in a similar manner, and rightly so.

What we have in this thread is often thoughtful discourse on why people like an image, or not, for that matter. What we rarely have is critique that actually furthers people ability to become a better photographer, simply because there are few people here who have the knowledge needed to actually teach.

This is not meant to take away from the enjoyment of sharing pictures and opinions, but if you want to learn how to be a better photographers there are other ways to get about it.

ApertureValue
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2009, 01:22 PM

What we have in this thread is often thoughtful discourse on why people like an image, or not, for that matter. What we rarely have is critique that actually furthers people ability to become a better photographer, simply because there are few people here who have the knowledge needed to actually teach.
MacNN is hardly the place people come for university-quality instruction. There are plenty of people here with a wide variety of expertise, so none should be discounted offhand. We applaud you for your current position within the creative world, we really do, but this thread was created for exactly the type of feedback you're criticizing.

I wonder if we can possibly get back to the reason for the thread, and view people's photos and give them constructive criticism or praise?

Flickr
Tome Curator

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 8, 2009, 01:30 PM

Thanks! For me though, I like her position in the frame. I would have liked to have her whole hip in the frame, but I like this shot for the big water up front and the big sky on the right. I have one where she's completely in the frame, slight left, but I like this one.

ice

ApertureValue
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2009, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
Thanks! For me though, I like her position in the frame. I would have liked to have her whole hip in the frame, but I like this shot for the big water up front and the big sky on the right. I have one where she's completely in the frame, slight left, but I like this one.

I, too, really like this shot. I've really dug the lighting you've used in the past few submissions, and this is no exception. I think the angle and the fact that she's not totally in the frame suggests motion, which is perfect for the location!

Flickr
Tome Curator

ApertureValue
Forum Regular
Aug 8, 2009, 02:54 PM

By the way, Ice, did you REALLY dip your lens in?

Flickr
Tome Curator

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 8, 2009, 04:18 PM

“Arms” … is that what the kids are callin’ ’em nowadays?

richwig83
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2009, 04:26 PM

“Arms” … is that what the kids are callin’ ’em nowadays?

Yup....

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 9, 2009, 02:51 PM

Psh, and the body. Nothing got submerged, just a small wave kind of came over it. Camera body is fine now, lens was not autofocusing for a couple of days, but now is working fine too!! Saltwater!

Thanks for the kind words!!
ice

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Aug 9, 2009, 03:26 PM

MacNN is hardly the place people come for university-quality instruction. There are plenty of people here with a wide variety of expertise, so none should be discounted offhand. We applaud you for your current position within the creative world, we really do, but this thread was created for exactly the type of feedback you're criticizing.

I wonder if we can possibly get back to the reason for the thread, and view people's photos and give them constructive criticism or praise?
Thanks.

Here's a link to the first post in the thread as a reminder of the intention of the thread.

Well, we derailed Jawbone's thread with some pictures and critique discussions. But I really enjoyed the posting of images and the critiquing.

Rules:
1. Post a picture. You don't post a picture, you don't get to critique someone else's picture.
2. If you write a critique, post a picture to be critiqued. Post your picture at the end of the critique.
3. Constructive criticism first. If you think a person could improve their picture, tell them how.
4. Keep personal comments and opinions cordial. Focus on the picture, not the person posting the picture.
5. ONLY post pictures you have taken.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 9, 2009, 03:30 PM

“Dipping your lens in” … is that what the kids are callin’ it nowadays?

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 9, 2009, 04:11 PM

haha
ice

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 9, 2009, 04:12 PM

ice

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2009, 05:39 PM

^ hawt

ApertureValue
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2009, 10:27 PM

VERY nice, Ice! Once again, your use of lighting, composition and color are beautiful!

Here's another HDR from the same farm park as before, just up the road further:

Flickr
Tome Curator

Forum Links
Forum Rules