Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Terra Nova

Terra Nova
design219
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2011, 08:26 AM

Does anyone give it a chance?

If I understand the premise, people in the future go back to the past to try and preserve mankind, or something along those lines. I'm going to watch the premier tonight, the previews look interesting. I hope it doesn't suck.

FOX Broadcasting Company - Terra Nova on FOX - Official Site

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Thorzdad
Sep 26, 2011, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
Does anyone give it a chance?

If I understand the premise, people in the future go back to the past to try and preserve mankind, or something along those lines...
I'm on the fence about it. I might watch. All I know about it is what you said...apparently, people go back in time to save mankind. From the previews, it looks like they return to the age where dinosaurs exist. Which means, of course, that they've gone back before the big extinction event hits Earth. I assume they've taken this into account and are prepared to survive through such a global cataclysm. An event which, I doubt the show will survive long enough to show.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2011, 09:17 AM

We're have it set to TiVo, but while I hope it will be good, I'm just not seeing how it will be. =/
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2011, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
I'm on the fence about it. I might watch. All I know about it is what you said...apparently, people go back in time to save mankind. From the previews, it looks like they return to the age where dinosaurs exist. Which means, of course, that they've gone back before the big extinction event hits Earth. I assume they've taken this into account and are prepared to survive through such a global cataclysm. An event which, I doubt the show will survive long enough to show.
Yeah, the very premise bugs me for that reason.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Thorzdad
Sep 26, 2011, 09:34 AM

That's sort of my gut feeling, too. Even in the previews, there's already hints of the sort of inter-personal soap-opera-ish contrived conflict that seems to be required in sci-fi shows these days. And a lot of running and yelling.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2011, 10:02 AM

Brannon Braga is the show runner. He destroyed Star Trek, so I don't have high hopes for this show. Now, if Robert Hewitt Wolfe or Ira Stephen Behr were running it, then it might have had a chance.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2011, 11:36 AM

There was a comic strip in 2000AD called Flesh where people in the future solved their food shortage by travelling back to the past and farming dinosaurs for meat.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 26, 2011, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Person Man View Post
Brannon Braga is the show runner. He destroyed Star Trek, so I don't have high hopes for this show.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2011, 12:32 PM

Apparently, they don't have any choice in how far back they go in time, as the portal is "discovered" rather than engineered.

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2011, 09:49 AM

I enjoyed it okay. Somewhat predictable, and nothing quirky like LOST, but I'll watch again.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2011, 10:30 AM

I didn't hate it, but my wife thought it was lame. She's not into this style of show. I give every new show 3 episodes before I decide whether or not I'll stick with it, so we'll see.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2011, 10:31 AM

Understanding that it's TV, the dinosaur effects still weren't very impressive. I was watching in standard def though.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2011, 11:25 AM

I watched for ~20 min, it was a lot of "bleh". It looked like one of those ScyFy "original" movies that are on at ~3am.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2011, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
There was a comic strip in 2000AD
I always wondered why more films/TV shows don't come from 2000AD.

hayesk
Sep 27, 2011, 12:42 PM

I missed the first 45 minutes of it, but my thought was meh. All of the arbitrary conflicts seemed cliché, subplot about missing son, etc. were just not interesting. On top of that, maybe I missed it, but were only attractive people allowed to go back?

I give it 6 episodes.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2011, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by hayesk View Post
On top of that, maybe I missed it, but were only attractive people allowed to go back?
Uh, are there normally a lot of ugly people on scripted television?

Thorzdad
Sep 27, 2011, 12:52 PM

I forgot it was on, and accidentally ran-across it about half-way through. What I saw wasn't impressive. I doubt I'll take another look.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2011, 01:00 PM

The predictable conflict and love sub stories turned me off. Father and Son conflict and then the teenagers and falling in love stories. Bleh....

The video effects bugged me a bit, but the camp site set is very nice. The rest of the sets used before they make it to Terra Nova almost made me change the channel.

The dialog between characters, and the acting are bleh.

Like all modern TV shows its all perfect pretty big tit woman. That makes it a bleh for me as well. Almost reminded me of Knight Rider 2008 in style which means running, sex, fighting, big special effects and just no substance. I will watch it again just to see how the show progresses from the pilot. I think they tossed to much into the pilot, some of the stuff could have been reveled in episodes instead. The show just feels really loaded now.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2011, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Athens View Post
The video effects bugged me a bit, but the camp site set is very nice. The rest of the sets used before they make it to Terra Nova almost made me change the channel.
Interesting. I missed the beginning, but the New York Times review complimented the pre-Terra Nova scenes (although they mentioned that the versions that had been previewed to critics were even better) and largely panned the rest, including the "hilariously clean" base camp and the "mildest, prettiest group of teenage rebels this side of a James Dean movie."

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2011, 02:09 PM

They had a very artificial element to them, looked all CGI, but "looked" it. I don't think they spent as much time and money on the pre Terra Nova scenes because they would only be used once in the first episode. I can see why they decided to do the entire series in one go vs just a pilot, they spent a lot of time and money on the camp.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2011, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
I always wondered why more films/TV shows don't come from 2000AD.
Well, there was Judge Dredd, obviously, which probably killed the idea of 2000AD based films for a long time. The new JD movie looks interesting however.

Before JD there was Hardware, based on a single issue "Future Shock" story.

Flesh would have made an awesome movie, RoBusters would have been cool as would a Strontium Dog movie. Also Zenith, Invasion, Robo Hunter....

God I loved 2000AD back then.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2011, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
Well, there was Judge Dredd, obviously, which probably killed the idea of 2000AD based films for a long time. The new JD movie looks interesting however.
Didn't even know this was happening. The Lawmaster looks shit though.

hayesk
Sep 28, 2011, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
Uh, are there normally a lot of ugly people on scripted television?
Yes, there is usually a mix. Keep in mind, I don't watch just American television.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2011, 10:27 AM

Yes, there is usually a mix. Keep in mind, I don't watch just American television.
I see. Well, whatever floats your boat.

andi*pandi
Sep 28, 2011, 10:31 AM

the premiere is free on itunes, I may check it out but judging from this thread this show is no Firefly.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2011, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post

Before JD there was Hardware, based on a single issue "Future Shock" story.

Flesh would have made an awesome movie, RoBusters would have been cool as would a Strontium Dog movie. Also Zenith, Invasion, Robo Hunter....

God I loved 2000AD back then.
I'm surprised there wasn't more TV or film from 2000AD since they actually founded a department/division of Fleetway for this purpose after the Dredd movie came out. (They must have already known how popular it was).

The one thing I'd love to see adapted from 2000AD: Armoured Gideon.
( Last edited by Waragainstsleep; Oct 11, 2011 at 07:34 AM. )
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

hayesk
Sep 29, 2011, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
I see. Well, whatever floats your boat.
I prefer acting ability to attractiveness, in that order. Canadian and UK TV seem to agree with my preference more than most American shows - well, the scripted shows, anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer both, especially when it makes sense for the role. It just seemed everyone in this show looked a bit too good given the circumstance.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2011, 11:42 AM

I prefer acting ability to attractiveness, in that order. Canadian and UK TV seem to agree with my preference more than most American shows - well, the scripted shows, anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer both, especially when it makes sense for the role. It just seemed everyone in this show looked a bit too good given the circumstance.
I agree entirely. It's striking when you compare, for example, the UK Office with the US version. It just seemed like a weird thing to comment on.
( Last edited by SpaceMonkey; Sep 29, 2011 at 12:24 PM. )

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2011, 12:35 PM

I've noticed the shows that last the longest and are the most watched tend to be those with good actors and normal looking people. Take Star Trek Voyager for example, they place one or two HOT babes in the crew, otherwise the rest are normal looking people. I really can't stand many American shows any more because its all perfect people and bad acting. Come to think of it all the shows I have lived have had normal to nasty looking people lol.

Salty
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2011, 02:18 PM

Modern Family has Cam and Jay Glee has a number of less than perfect lookers (Though they're also trying to pass Darren Criss as younger than the guy he's dating which is just silly)

I find they're often willing to have unhot men in various roles, but not so much with the ladies.

That said if you want a more intelligent not only hot people American show, check out Harry's Law by David E Kelly.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2011, 03:44 PM

Oxygen and carbon dioxide levels were too high during the middle cretaceous period for any modern human to live. That's mostly why the plants and animals were so large. They should all be dead from O2, O3, and Co2 poisoning.

If making a sci-fi, at least make an attempt to get the sci part right.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 2, 2011, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Real science in Sci-Fi is very much out of fashion these days. Some of them are throwing the odd bit of truth in here or there but most of the currently successful shows are using ridiculous fake science.

Fringe, Eureka, Warehouse 13, Alphas and Torchwood spring to mind, even non SF shows like Leverage, Nikita and Chuck are full of exaggerated tech or bad science. Don't get me wrong, I like all those shows but it would be nice if there was one on TV which at least made an effort to stick to real science. I guess you could count House.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2011, 08:26 PM

Oxygen and carbon dioxide levels were too high during the middle cretaceous period for any modern human to live. That's mostly why the plants and animals were so large. They should all be dead from O2, O3, and Co2 poisoning.

except its now our earth so its not our cretaceous period. Its not just time travel but a parallel universe.

hayesk
Oct 4, 2011, 12:01 PM

Real science in Sci-Fi is very much out of fashion these days.
Uhm... you do know what the Fi in Sci-Fi is short for, right?

Real science has never been in fashion for science fiction shows. Otherwise they would just be dramas.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2011, 12:11 PM

They synthesized a drug that fixed that, you get a single shot and the problem is fixed.

No, not really, but that's how they'd explain it.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2011, 12:50 PM

Still just so so for me, but the previews of future episodes look better than what I've seen so far.

Anyway, I predict that the metal stuff that the sixers were trying to barter with will become the real reason for Terra Nova. I bet that there really is a way to travel backwards. The teen son will join the sixers.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2011, 12:27 AM

It's like Avatar meets Jurassic Park.

It's an okay show. Seems to appeal to people under 25.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 5, 2011, 12:36 AM

It's on Fox. Even if it were any good, they'll likely cancel it just as it starts to ge interesting.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2011, 07:22 AM

Watched the first (double) episode.

Man, that royally sucked. Bad writing and dialogue, and it felt like spring break at Jurassic Park, with perfect makeup.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2011, 07:53 AM

Uhm... you do know what the Fi in Sci-Fi is short for, right?

Real science has never been in fashion for science fiction shows. Otherwise they would just be dramas.
What a silly thing to say. Traditionally, the fiction part is more of a 'not fact yet' than a 'never going to be fact'. Otherwise its more like Science Fantasy.

Star Trek tried to stick to real science as best it could. Lots of work was done to rectify a lot of it with real science. There was the odd 'fudge factor' like the Heisenberg Compensators, but thats to be expected.

I'm just looking for something which restricts itself to filling in the gaps (its really not that restrictive) rather than contradicting known truths.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2011, 08:36 AM

Star Trek tried to stick to real science as best it could. Lots of work was done to rectify a lot of it with real science. There was the odd 'fudge factor' like the Heisenberg Compensators, but thats to be expected.
Uh, no. It really depended upon which series and who the writers were. 1 to the 10th power, etc.

And before you say TNG had good science, just how would you explain the sudden morphologic change of the Klingons?

Thorzdad
Oct 11, 2011, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
And before you say TNG had good science, just how would you explain the sudden morphologic change of the Klingons?
Bashir: "Those are Klingons?"
Odo: "Mister Worf?"
Worf: "They are Klingons, and it is a long story."
O'Brien: "What happened? Some kind genetic engineering?"
Bashir: "A viral mutation?"
Worf: "We do not discuss it with outsiders."

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2011, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Bashir: "Those are Klingons?"
Odo: "Mister Worf?"
Worf: "They are Klingons, and it is a long story."
O'Brien: "What happened? Some kind genetic engineering?"
Bashir: "A viral mutation?"
Worf: "We do not discuss it with outsiders."
Exactly. No explanation. The change in look was purely because they wanted a new look for the series, but had to come back with a workaround when they decided later to do a nostalgia episode.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 11, 2011, 08:47 AM

Talk about cherry picking. I'm sure there's got to be issues with their portrayals of astrological or technological science that are far more worthwhile than a change in prosthetics that was likely a production decision.

Also, obviously no one here watched Enterprise (and I don't blame them).

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 11, 2011, 08:49 AM

Exactly. No explanation. The change in look was purely because they wanted a new look for the series, but had to come back with a workaround when they decided later to do a nostalgia episode.
Klingon - Memory Alpha, the Star Trek Wiki
In the year 2154, the Klingons gained access to the genetic material of Human Augments and tried to adapt this genetic engineering to improve themselves. The test subjects did gain increased strength and intelligence, but then their neural pathways started to degrade and they died in agony. One of the subjects suffered from the Levodian flu, which was modified by the Augment DNA to become a fatal, airborne, mutagenic plague that spread rampantly among the Empire, from world to world. In the first stage of this plague, Klingons lost the ridges on their foreheads and began to look more Human. With the help of a Klingon scientist named Antaak, Dr. Phlox of the Earth starship Enterprise was able to formulate a cure that halted the genetic effects of the virus in the first stage. This retained the changes in appearance along with some minor neural re-ordering. The neural ordering caused changes in the emotional make up of the Klingons. For example, the infected started to feel fear. Even though the infected did not develop any stage-two characteristics, such as enhanced strength, speed, or endurance they did not die from it. This left millions of Klingons changed. These alterations were even passed on to their children.

Klingons were apparently so embarrassed by the fallout from their failed attempt at genetic enhancement that they refused to discuss the incident with outsiders. Due to the secrecy of the Klingon Empire, knowledge of the change became lost over time to the general population of the Federation. By the 24th century, the reason for smooth forehead Klingons was not widely known outside the Empire, and questions were generally met with a brusque answer along the lines of "we don't discuss it with outsiders."

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2011, 08:54 AM

Enterprise? Now, how long after TNG did Enterprise air?

This is precisely the stuff I was talking about. It's SciFi, so there are often big leaps, because it's SciFi, and Star Trek is just as guilty of it as so many other shows... but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

The point about the prosthetics was just to illustrate my point. The change in costuming was done just because they wanted to, not because there was any real scientific reason to do it. They made up the reason decades later, in a completely different series. As for other issues, that's why I mentioned the 1 to the 10th power comment first, which is just one example.
( Last edited by Eug; Oct 11, 2011 at 09:01 AM. )

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 11, 2011, 09:03 AM

Is this based off the Enterprise episodes? Cuz if so, that doesn't really count.
C'mon Eug, how about a semblance of intellectual honesty here. Prosthesis were picked for visual effect. You could just as easily rail on the transporter as it was a production vehicle to avoid the cost of having to depict shuttlecraft use. Considering at the end of the day its still entertainment, compromises have to be made and disbelief suspended. I've got to think if Star Trek was depicted realistically, it would be a pretty boring, tedious show (Conversely, Transporter plots were also the depiction of tedium). You have to find a happy medium (Which is why, as Star Trek, Voyager was a giant steaming pile. Speaking of stuff that doesn't count).

Person Man
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2011, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
(Which is why, as Star Trek, Voyager was a giant steaming pile. Speaking of stuff that doesn't count).
Voyager had promise in the beginning, but once Brannon Braga became the show runner it went downhill quickly. Similarly, Enterprise had a lot of potential, as the fourth season showed, but by the time the fourth season came out, the show was already doomed.

Again, Brannon Braga is the reason I don't think this show will survive. I have no interest in watching it, and reading the initial reactions here doesn't give me any hope either. Also... time travel. Not surprised. Mr. Braga seems to LOVE time travel. Bleh.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 11, 2011, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Person Man View Post
Voyager had promise in the beginning,
Vehemently disagree. The show plot was Lost in Space and they had Janeway flagrantly violating the Prime Directive at the end of the pilot in order to achieve it. That's the writing equivalent of pulling down your pants and shitting on my face.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2011, 09:31 AM

C'mon Eug, how about a semblance of intellectual honesty here. Prosthesis were picked for visual effect. You could just as easily rail on the transporter as it was a production vehicle to avoid the cost of having to depict shuttlecraft use.
Of course I could, but I don't. That was my entire point. I chose to ignore those factors because I didn't care much, because it's SciFi. Sometimes things are just idiotic, but sometimes they're OK if otherwise well written.

To put it another way, I'm not sure why Heisenberg Compensators on Star Trek are OK to someone who complains about suspect science on other SciFi shows... unless he agrees with me that sometimes disbelief needs to be suspended.

Considering at the end of the day its still entertainment, compromises have to be made and disbelief suspended. I've got to think if Star Trek was depicted realistically, it would be a pretty boring, tedious show
Bingo.

If you look up a few posts, I was responding to Waragainstsleep who was saying SciFi must be scientifically accurate. My point was to suggest was that Star Trek was not always scientifically accurate either, but was still enjoyable despite that.
This is precisely the stuff I was talking about. It's SciFi, so there are often big leaps, because it's SciFi, and Star Trek is just as guilty of it as so many other shows... but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

With regards to Terra Nova, I didn't like it, but it wasn't because of the SciFi. I didn't like it because I didn't enjoy the 80s Spring Break Jurassic Park tone of the show with bad writing and a few mean dinos thrown in. I mean I hated that stupid whiney girl who ran away so much I was actually rooting for the dinosaurs.
( Last edited by Eug; Oct 11, 2011 at 09:39 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules