Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Renaming a Preference Pane

Renaming a Preference Pane
clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2002, 04:12 AM

I've noticed that Preference Pane names sometimes are overly long. The Microsoft Keyboard pane and the Microsoft Mouse pane are examples of this, as is the Samba Pref Pane. The names are wide enough to overwrite things.
Is there a relatively easy way to rename them so they show up in the System Preferences with a shorter name?

Ibson
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 17, 2002, 04:34 AM

Locate the pref pane (in [~]/Library/PreferencePanes), control-click and choose "Show Package Contents". Launch TextEdit. Open the Contents folder, then drag the Info.plist file to the TextEdit icon on the dock. Press Command-F and search for "NSPrefPaneIconLabel" (without the quotes). Change the text within the <string> and </string> tags. If that wasn't found, search for "CFBundleName", and change that text. Or, look inside Contents � Resources � English.lproj � InfoPlist.strings and change the CFBundleName or NSPrefPaneIconLabel there (which is probably a better idea).

Hope this makes sense.

mogura
Sep 17, 2002, 10:57 AM

If im not mistaken, i think you also one more step to do:

"Now you have to go into your ~/Library/Caches/ and delete the "com.apple.preferencepanes.cache" file. Do this with the System Prefs app not running. Then start the System Prefs app and voila, you now have shortened MS PrefPane names."

This is taken from an anonymous post over at http://www.macosxhints/com

clarkgoble  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2002, 03:16 PM

I did that and now it shows up as MSMousePrefPane and then won't connect to the application properly. So presumably it corrupted things somewhat. (Not a big deal since I usually run the application directly anyway - but still)

mogura
Sep 17, 2002, 05:17 PM

i'm not sure if you've done so, but check out that link i posted above. the tip in question there was specifically posted because of the long names microsoft gave their prefpanes.

The sites search engine works quite well. Give it a try!

Forum Links
Forum Rules