Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > If you lose it, you must buy it again!!

If you lose it, you must buy it again!!
Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2003, 07:50 AM

If you lose your purhcased music, you have to do buy it again, there is not list of purchased music that you can download to your own computer again? this is mega flucked up!

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2003, 07:56 AM

No, the downloads resume. See the front page.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2003, 07:57 AM

Bull. See the menu item Advanced -> Check for purchased music.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

willed
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2003, 08:09 AM

Well, if you lose a CD, you must buy it again. So the moral of the story is, don't lose it.

spaced
Forum Regular
Apr 29, 2003, 08:34 AM

Originally posted by Nebagakid:
If you lose your purhcased music, you have to do buy it again, there is not list of purchased music that you can download to your own computer again? this is mega flucked up!
Seriously dude... do some research before you come here screaming about how much Apple sucks because you're too stupid to spend 5 seconds finding Advanced > Check for Purchased Music.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2003, 08:41 AM

More like...

Before posting a rant that makes you look foolish:

1) Do some personal research (2 mins should do)

2) Post a questions that is more constructive. If you would have said "So what happens when my HD crashes and I loose my Apple Music? Can I access it multiple times?

FYI, I think this is one of the major advantages of this system. I wish I didn't have to reencode my CDs for every computer. I could just copy them over, but that tends to be messy.

Oh well...

DaedalusDX
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2003, 09:08 AM

i did a little poking around on Apple's customer support page... i'm not sure if the Checked for Purchased Music feature is meant for you to retrieve music that you've accidentally deleted...

Its meant for situations where you are billed, but for some reason the download is interrupted...

http://www.info.apple.com/usen/music...usic_downloads

Just like all the other data on your computer... if you don't want to lose it in some catastrophic hard disk failure, you must be responsible and back it up.

And with iTunes 4, Apple even encourages you to do that by allowing data CDs and data DVDs to be burned straight from iTunes for backup purposes.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2003, 10:19 AM

Tell me about it! I lost a few store bought CDs last week and Best Buy laughed at me! Bastards!!

All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Nebagakid  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2003, 06:49 PM

this is a different system, it would make sense that you could have a catalog of your purhcased music that you could re-download!

Also, what happens if you need to reinstall your system ? Do you have to re-insatll your system>

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2003, 07:27 PM

this is a different system, it would make sense that you could have a catalog of your purhcased music that you could re-download!

Also, what happens if you need to reinstall your system ? Do you have to re-insatll your system>
Usually you do something called a back up.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2003, 07:28 PM

From Apple's site :

Be sure to make regular backups of your music files (in your iTunes Music folder) by copying them to an external hard disk or other media. If your hard disk becomes damaged or you lose any of the music you've purchased, you'll have to reimport all your songs and buy any purchased music again to rebuild your library.

This says it all. Burn your music direct to a cd or hope your disk will be alright...

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2003, 07:52 PM

Personally if I did buy a song and then later my HD crashed andI didn't still have a backup I'd just go get it off a file sharing network and download it, not like I didn't already pay for it.

neilxu
Apr 29, 2003, 07:57 PM

Originally posted by Appleman:
From Apple's site :

Be sure to make regular backups of your music files (in your iTunes Music folder) by copying them to an external hard disk or other media. If your hard disk becomes damaged or you lose any of the music you've purchased, you'll have to reimport all your songs and buy any purchased music again to rebuild your library.

This says it all. Burn your music direct to a cd or hope your disk will be alright...
So I backup all of my songs onto my external disk and next time, if I reinstall OSX, import them and everything should be fine. Right?

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2003, 07:59 PM

Originally posted by neilxu:
So I backup all of my songs onto my external disk and next time, if I reinstall OSX, import them and everything should be fine. Right?
yup, just deauthorize your computer in iTunes before reinstalling then re-authorize it when opening up the re-imported tunes.

For more info: http://www.info.apple.com/usen/music..._authorization

[EDIT: added URL]
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

theory
Dedicated MacNNer

Well I think that losing your cds is a bit
harder than losing a computer file. So I think that apple should keep track of what
each person has bought so they can download it when ever they want.

Of course what could happen then is one
person would bye the track and then give
is account details to every one to download it.

The easisest thing todo is to make regular
backups of the music you bought.

Mac Elite

I wonder if insurance companies would cover someone who lost all their dl'd songs in a fire.. I mean, they will cover CDs lost in a fire right?

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2003, 08:03 PM

Originally posted by 11011001:
I wonder if insurance companies would cover someone who lost all their dl'd songs in a fire.. I mean, they will cover CDs lost in a fire right?
it probably depends on the type of coverage you have and how much of a premium you're willing to pay.
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2003, 08:15 PM

Originally posted by Earth Mk. II:
it probably depends on the type of coverage you have and how much of a premium you're willing to pay.
yeah, no kidding, I looked into insurance for a loss i had recently. No thanks, I'll risk it again

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2003, 08:33 PM

Well, one of the songs I downloaded last night has a skip in it that makes my iPod screech and crashes iTunes ("Liquid Sunshine" f/ Parliament's _Motor Booty Affair_, fyi). I wrote Apple to see if I could get a new copy, and offered to send them the munged one. I'll post when I get a reply...

--Josh

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2003, 08:51 PM

<morpheus>"Welcome, to the real world..."</morpheus>

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2003, 09:14 PM

Well, that was fast:

Thank you for contacting Apple. I regranted "Liquid Sunshine" for download. Please find the original track in your library, delete, and download again by selecting "check for purchased music" from the advanced menu in iTunes. If this new download continues to have the screech, please reply to this email and we will investigate further.
Worked fine. The new track is flawless. Thanks Apple! Nice to know they are on top of things, even only a day after launch.

--J

Guy Incognito 2
Banned
Apr 29, 2003, 09:28 PM

There's no excuse not to backup anymore. CD-Rs, DVD-Rs, iPods, Firewire HDs, .mac, networks.

Apple makes CD and DVD burning a breeze via iTunes and makes syncing to iPods an effortless job.

OS X is more robust than OS 9 ever was. In very rare circumstances will OS X get a fatal kernel panic that wipes out your drive.

Disk Warrior is available too in those very rare circumstances.

That said...I hope Apple does keep note of purchased music inside people's accounts. But then again, this could get abused...someone could say they've lost their songs in a crash just to circumvent the DRM and get themselves new copies of their songs and the DRM reset.

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2003, 10:38 PM

Originally posted by Guy Incognito 2:
<snip good advice about backing up>

That said...I hope Apple does keep note of purchased music inside people's accounts. But then again, this could get abused...someone could say they've lost their songs in a crash just to circumvent the DRM and get themselves new copies of their songs and the DRM reset.
I don't think people can do that. The way the model works, you get songs from the store and they are noted to be owned by you, and linked to your Apple ID. The way I interpret the rules, you can have three computers on which you may play content owned by you. I didn't need to authenticate every song off the album I bought to play them on my laptop over the network, I just needed to say that the Powerbook would be authorized to play music owned by me. So getting another copy of a song wouldn't allow you to play it on more computers, it's still one of your songs and still only playable on your authorized computers.

--Josh

imago dei
Apr 29, 2003, 10:49 PM

One thing I haven't seen anyone mention in response to Apple's policy with these files: their bandwith costs. When I buy a 99� track from the iTunes Store, it is costing them some money to send it my way. If every time I deleted a song I wanted to download another copy, they'd have to keep paying for that bandwith, even though I'd made only ONE purchase.

I agree with them. I purchased the song, and now it is my responsibility to safeguard it from data loss.

-imago dei

Gametes
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2003, 12:49 AM

It's true it's your responsibility, but bandwidth costs are minimal and I think it would be good business for them to please customers' insecurity by using the potential of this new non-material medium and insuring against loss.
you are not your signature

rmendis
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2003, 03:40 AM

True.
It wouldn't have been difficult for Apple to store a lits of purchased iTunes music for each user in it's database.

Less secure is some sort of encrypted file that stores it in each users .mac account that could be iSynced in the event of reinstall/harddrive failure, etc.
But this could be hackable i guess.
"Trust. Betrayal. Deception.
In the CIA nothing is what it seems"

- from the film "The Recruit"

phrenzy
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2003, 03:58 AM

What crap.

We are buying a LICENSE to the music - we are not buying the MATERIAL.

Because we are buying a LICENSE, we should be able to re-download it NO PROBLEM. This is how copyrights work.

If you download a piece of shareware and accidentally delete it - the developer doesn't just say 'tough ****'

Whatever, it doesn't really matter, because every little thing that is done under this system to undermine customer convenience and satisfaction is going to drive 10 otherwise willing customers to Kazaa.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2003, 04:20 AM

Originally posted by Earth Mk. II:
yup, just deauthorize your computer in iTunes before reinstalling then re-authorize it when opening up the re-imported tunes.
Are you sure about that one? I mean if the computer's serial number is being used to identify the machine why should I de-authorize and then re-authorize just because I installed a new system? That doesn't make sense to me.

tritonus
Senior User
Apr 30, 2003, 04:50 AM

Originally posted by phrenzy:
is going to drive 10 otherwise willing customers to Kazaa.
... especially that beautiful Kazaa for OS X
SwitCHerland, Europe
17" PowerBook 1GHz | WaterField SleeveCase | LaCie d2 250GB | AirPort Extreme BS, AirPort Express | iPod photo 60GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules