Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > HOw good is the iPod mic?

HOw good is the iPod mic?
SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2003, 03:07 PM

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...More=T7419LL/A
they say its good for memos and lectures and stuff. I wonder if the quality is as good as miniDisc? This would be great for recording live music (my own of couse!)

Or do you think this will sound like those crappy mini casset recorders?

llvaporll
Oct 16, 2003, 03:20 PM

i am wondering about its quality as well...seems like a disappointing feature if you cant use your own mic...is this adapter the only thing that will work to record sounds...?
_know

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 16, 2003, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by SeSawaya:
I wonder if the quality is as good as miniDisc? This would be great for recording live music (my own of couse!)

I doubt it. It records as a mono WAV file. Go figure. But kind of makes sense. I didn't think they would offer stereo.

Would have been cool if this also acted like an adapter to allow other recording devices.

SeSawaya  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2003, 03:34 PM

probably like using the remote. Plugs into the firewire conector too. So, no you cant use any other mic.

$50 is a little steep considering the quality is probably not good.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2003, 03:42 PM

Now it can record sound, I am planning on buying a new iPod and Mic imminently, however, I am wondering at what distance it will work effectively...

Will I have to leave it at the front of a class, obviously not ideal, or may I be able to record a lecture from my seat about 15 meters back?

There is only so much of a 3 hour Marine Litigation lecture I can take in in one go... the mic could save me so much time and effort in note taking!

Anyone any ideas...

Cheers,

Marc

fado
Oct 16, 2003, 03:42 PM

Honestly, this is just the first phase. I am sure other parties will begin working on alternative mic's and give or take six months for stereo recording capablities. Remember, a long time ago... the iPod showed capabilities of recording from the firewire port too.

djjava
Senior User
Oct 16, 2003, 03:44 PM

Originally posted by fado:
Honestly, this is just the first phase. I am sure other parties will begin working on alternative mic's and give or take six months for stereo recording capablities. Remember, a long time ago... the iPod showed capabilities of recording from the firewire port too.
there is no real need for stereo since you aren't recording with stereo setup. you might as well just edit the wav in a wav editor, and duplicate the channel to get stereo. sure, if the ipod did it itself it would save effort, but then we'd only be able to record 2weeks worth of audio instead of 4.
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 16, 2003, 04:03 PM

Originally posted by djjava:
there is no real need for stereo since you aren't recording with stereo setup. you might as well just edit the wav in a wav editor, and duplicate the channel to get stereo.
Duplicating a mono audio source only gives you 2-channel mono, not stereo. You're first part was correct, but the last part was wrong.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 16, 2003, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by djjava:
there is no real need for stereo since you aren't recording with stereo setup. you might as well just edit the wav in a wav editor, and duplicate the channel to get stereo. sure, if the ipod did it itself it would save effort, but then we'd only be able to record 2weeks worth of audio instead of 4.
You can get decent stereo sound from a mic the size of the iPod mic. It's too bad that there's no input to use your own mic.

hempcamp
Forum Regular
Oct 16, 2003, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by Icruise:
You can get decent stereo sound from a mic the size of the iPod mic. It's too bad that there's no input to use your own mic.
No you can't. Two mikes placed closer together than human ears won't produce enough soundstage or stereo resolution/imaging to make it worthwhile.

Good two-channel audio depends on mic placement, not simply on having two channels available.

--Chris

adamberti
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2003, 05:57 PM

There must be a way to use other mic's. The original 2.0 software on the 3G iPod allowed you to test the recording feature - you could use the headphones to record your voice. From the pics, it simply plugs in like headphones, so it must send a signal to the iPod. It's also a 3rd party accessory, so other companys will be able to build there own. Belkin probably just arranged to have their own out first before anyone else.

I'd like to see an accessory that plugs into the headphone jack and is about the size of a grape and attaches a 'line in' You can put a mic into it or a line in.

Don't forget, there was sussposedly stereo recording through the dock connector at the bottom of the iPod.

I think we just need to wait for a few more products to appear and we'll have all the choice in the world.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 16, 2003, 07:28 PM

Originally posted by SeSawaya:
probably like using the remote. Plugs into the firewire conector too. So, no you cant use any other mic.
No it doesn't... did you see the pix of it attached to the iPod? It attaches to the headphone and remote jacks.

Audio input (as shown long ago in the test mode) occurrs through the headphone jack. But it's mono only, and don't expect good quality, it doesn't use a high bitrate.

tooki

phrenzy
Forum Regular
Oct 16, 2003, 07:50 PM

Can anyone confirm whether the line-IN on the DOCK allowed for STEREO recording at 44.1 ?

In any case whether it's a dock connector or an option on the ipod we need to be able to use THIS:

And, YES - stereo imaging DOES matter and CAN be done on a 'ipod sized' mic such as this.

hempcamp
Forum Regular
Oct 16, 2003, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by phrenzy:
And, YES - stereo imaging DOES matter and CAN be done on a 'ipod sized' mic such as this.
Stereo microphones are sometimes used for film work because they capture background noises accurately while keeping the "image" of the dialogue focused in the same direction as the camera. This is the only good use of a stereo mic that I know of (directional stereo boom mikes).

For recording live music or voices, capturing all of these background noises is not ideal. All-in-one stereo mics do a great job imaging things happening all around the mic, but a horrible job with gradiations between those things.

For example, with a mic like you showed, you would be able to tell that the guy sitting on your right is clapping with the music while the guy on your left is snapping his fingers. But assuming you are sitting in an audience separated from the band, you would not be able to tell that the bassist is slightly to the right and behind the lead vocal, with the drums to the left of both. This can only be done with well-positioned mono mics, which are later mixed or sampled into stereo recordings.

Granted no one is trying to use the iPod for professional recording, which is why mono is just fine for any reasonable conceivable use of iPod recording. So this whole argument is really moot.

Stereo does not equal quality, just like multichannel does not equal quality. *Clarity* of a recording equals quality. And as I do not yet have a mic for my iPod, I cannot comment on how clear its recordings are.

--Chris

phrenzy
Forum Regular
Oct 16, 2003, 09:57 PM

Originally posted by hempcamp:
Stereo microphones are sometimes used for film work because they capture background noises accurately while keeping the "image" of the dialogue focused in the same direction as the camera. This is the only good use of a stereo mic that I know of (directional stereo boom mikes).

For recording live music or voices, capturing all of these background noises is not ideal. All-in-one stereo mics do a great job imaging things happening all around the mic, but a horrible job with gradiations between those things.

For example, with a mic like you showed, you would be able to tell that the guy sitting on your right is clapping with the music while the guy on your left is snapping his fingers. But assuming you are sitting in an audience separated from the band, you would not be able to tell that the bassist is slightly to the right and behind the lead vocal, with the drums to the left of both. This can only be done with well-positioned mono mics, which are later mixed or sampled into stereo recordings.

Granted no one is trying to use the iPod for professional recording, which is why mono is just fine for any reasonable conceivable use of iPod recording. So this whole argument is really moot.

Stereo does not equal quality, just like multichannel does not equal quality. *Clarity* of a recording equals quality. And as I do not yet have a mic for my iPod, I cannot comment on how clear its recordings are.

--Chris
Agreed - in a concert "bootlegging" situation - a stereo mic would not buy you anything. Even just being in the audience - you don't really get a sense of space - you just get the loud PA mix - not a studio mix.

That said - that is not even what I was talking about. Foley and SFX artists could use such a device to no end. Also, a line in recording option would allow DJs to record their sets with ease.

So, again, I don't know the specs on this mic - but if it is at least 44.1 - it will do for concert recording and lectures.

But, the fact that this Belkin mic costs as much as the sony I had pictured is pathetic.

hempcamp
Forum Regular
Oct 16, 2003, 11:02 PM

A line in recording option would allow DJs to record their sets with ease.
I do agree there. A true line-in would make the iPod more extensible, much more so than a stereo mic would. But I think the iPod market is aimed at consumers, so the pro market that does highly portable quality recording will probably stick with MiniDisc.

--Chris

phrenzy
Forum Regular
Oct 17, 2003, 12:34 AM

Originally posted by hempcamp:
I do agree there. A true line-in would make the iPod more extensible, much more so than a stereo mic would. But I think the iPod market is aimed at consumers, so the pro market that does highly portable quality recording will probably stick with MiniDisc.

--Chris
Umm. No. If the iPod had line in, why would anybody use MiniDisc? MiniDisc uses compression and degrades the audio quality. Recording in to an iPod at possilbly 48k would be superior to mini disc quality and far more convenient and infinitly more recording time.

WJMoore
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 17, 2003, 12:36 AM

Originally posted by fado:
Remember, a long time ago... the iPod showed capabilities of recording from the firewire port too.
No I don't remember, do you have any references?

benb
Oct 17, 2003, 01:47 AM

Geez some people are never satisfied. You got recording, what you wanted. Now you complain it isn't good enough for you.

Did you ever think that maybe what you would use it for is not what most people wanted it for?

What kind of concert do you bring an iPod to? One with seats? Or do you just stand in the back?

Did you even look at the product name? Belkin VOICE RECORDER. Not DJ mix recorder. Not bootleg recorder. Not me playing my guitar recorder.

This is intended for voice only. Meetings, lectures, quick notes, memos and the like.

Just because every Apple product doesn't fit your every need does not mean that Apple is out to screw you or doesn't know what the market needs. Face it, if the most of the market segment needed stereo or line in at 44.1KHz 24 bit audio on the iPod, then the iPod would have it. But it doesn't.

Wet Jimmy
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 17, 2003, 02:11 AM

Let's hear it for the voice of reason!

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 17, 2003, 02:48 AM

I don't remember anyone asking for a "voice recorder". All of the requests seemed to be for people wanting to record music of some kind, so it's not too hard to understand why people might be disappointed with this offering. I would buy the add-on if it had a line-in, but my PDA does voice recording just fine.

phrenzy
Forum Regular
Oct 17, 2003, 10:28 AM

Originally posted by Wet Jimmy:
Let's hear it for the voice of reason!
Let's hear it for the sniveling apologist!

Give me a break - how many other mp3 players ALREADY support line-in recording?

The iPod is supposed to be the best. Line in recording is an incredibly useful feature that many many people could put to use.

It could instantly replace casette and MD recorders with that connection.

The iPod clearly has this ability as was demonstrated in the first gen 3 firmware.

I swear this is like those people who told people to shut up about getting tabs in safari.

YOU shut up! If you don't want line in recording - don't use it - but leave those who DO want it alone!

benb
Oct 17, 2003, 11:36 AM

Let's hear it for the sniveling apologist!

Give me a break - how many other mp3 players ALREADY support line-in recording?

The iPod is supposed to be the best. Line in recording is an incredibly useful feature that many many people could put to use.

It could instantly replace casette and MD recorders with that connection.

The iPod clearly has this ability as was demonstrated in the first gen 3 firmware.

I swear this is like those people who told people to shut up about getting tabs in safari.

YOU shut up! If you don't want line in recording - don't use it - but leave those who DO want it alone!
Oh shut up. You give me a list of MP3 players that do everything you want please. Then choose one off that list. Sometimes you can't get everything you want (imagine that) and have to weigh the pros and cons of a product. Doesn't fit your needs? Then buy someting elsem don't come here and complain, because nobody here can change it.

How many people do you really think would use line in or SPDIF? 75%? 95%? How many people do you think will actually use recording at all? You, my good fellow, are the minority within a minority.

What if it came down to this: Apple could do line in os SPDIF but would have to raise the price of the iPod by $50. Do you think they would do it? Probably not, because more than 95% would not want to pay for a feature that at most 5% would use.

cowicide
Forum Regular
Oct 17, 2003, 12:58 PM

-------------

Look, it's only a matter of time before there is some kind of line in to an iPod. There is NO legal reason not to do this. For instance, you "could" use an iPod to listen to illegal mp3's, but they still sell it. You "could" use an iPod to bootleg concerts... but that is NO grounds to ban the damn things for legit use.

If for some retarded reason someone doesn't make a line in, I will solder one to this Belkin joke. So, whether you like it or not... I will have an iPod with a line in. Hahaha...

I don't know why people get so afraid of good progress... sheesh... I'll use it to LEGALLY record my own shows and when we play in the 140 foot long underground tunnel we use. I could give a rat's ass about using it to make cruddy sounding, bootlegs of Barry Manilo or whatever you guys are crying about...

---------

sorkinesque
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2003, 12:59 PM

currently i record lectures using quicktime broadcaster, an isight, and my 12 inch Albook.

i'd buy an ipod solution that would allow me to record decent quality audio from a fair distance and perhaps transcribe what's captured..something like what the sony digital recorders do.

anyone know if the apple retail stores have a demo ipod w/ the belkin mic out?

hempcamp
Forum Regular
Oct 17, 2003, 01:02 PM

Originally posted by benb:
Just because every Apple product doesn't fit your every need does not mean that Apple is out to screw you or doesn't know what the market needs. Face it, if the most of the market segment needed stereo or line in at 44.1KHz 24 bit audio on the iPod, then the iPod would have it. But it doesn't.
Amen to that!

benb
Oct 17, 2003, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by sorkinesque:
anyone know if the apple retail stores have a demo ipod w/ the belkin mic out?
No idea. But when mine comes I'll take it to class, sit in the back and record the lecture. I'll report in and put some samples up. I'm confident it will be more than adaquate for this task.

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2003, 07:07 PM

Apple is thinking too narrowly in assuming that the iPod market is limited to consumers only. If you aren't aware, Apple currently holds a large percentage of the pro audio market. There are thousands of Mac users out there who do pro recording on their Macs and want the iPod to enhance that functionality. Since day 1 of the first iPod I have waited for iPod line-in recording for the live audio recording that I do. People want this "pro" feature and are willing to pay a premium to get it. A DAT recorder is $400 and comes with mic input. An iPod is $300-$500 and doesn't, yet people like us would gladly pay more than that for the functionality we're talking about.

Forum Links
Forum Rules