Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Did iDVD come installed on OSX 10.2.7?

Did iDVD come installed on OSX 10.2.7?
Nelsun
Jan 10, 2004, 03:20 PM

I was hoping someone might be ble to confirm something for me. I bought a new 17" PowerBook with the 1.33 ghz procoessor back in late October that came loaded with OSX 10.2.7. I have not upgraded to 10.2.8 or 10.3 yet, but very soon.

What I am confused about is whether it came loaded with iDVD? I have iTunes, iMovie and iPhoto. I had to reinstall the system from the restore disc some time ago, maybe I didn;t install it. Was it ever installed at all? A friend who is an IT says he sees G4 towers loaded with iDVD.

Thanks. Nelson

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2004, 03:23 PM

iDVD does not come as part of the operating system, but it is bundled with all Macs that have a Superdrive. If your PowerBook has a Superdrive and you reinstalled the OS you also need to reinstall iDVD from the restore DVD.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

solitere
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2004, 06:46 PM

Originally posted by Developer:
iDVD does not come as part of the operating system, but it is bundled with all Macs that have a Superdrive. If your PowerBook has a Superdrive and you reinstalled the OS you also need to reinstall iDVD from the restore DVD.

iDVD program comes bundled in every DVD installer.(atleast versions 10.2.3 (5, 7) and 10.3. It�s just that if the machine you are installing iDVD on, does�nt have a superdrive it won�t install iDVD either.

But if you can do some tricks in the terminal or via a thirdparty app you will find the installer package for iDVD. On the installer disc.

Nelson Au
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2004, 07:23 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys. Well, as far as I can tell, this PowerBook has a superdrive. The box says it does.

I checked the system profiler and it says DVD-R.

When I tried to install iDVD with the restore disc just now, there is an icon that looks like a box. When I click it, it shows a box that gives contradictory information. It says it restores Mac OSX and software, but then says it will not install iTunes, iMovie, or iPhoto. No mention of iDVD. Then when I proceed with the install, after the license stuff, it goes to the install and usually at this point, you can see the customize button for the install. It was greyed out. So I stopped at this point.

There was another installer on the restore disc that required I restart the machine to do that one. I wasn't sure if that was the one to go with so I stopped it there.

I guess I can wait till I buy the OS 10.3 install and hope its there.

Thanks again-Nelson

dtriska
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2004, 08:00 PM

10.3 won't have iDVD. As said above, iDVD comes with Macs that have SuperDrives. I believe there's a separate reinstall DVD for iDVD. You can also purchase iLife to get the latest version of iDVD.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2004, 10:45 PM

Originally posted by Nelson Au:
Thanks for the feedback guys. Well, as far as I can tell, this PowerBook has a superdrive. The box says it does.

I checked the system profiler and it says DVD-R.

When I tried to install iDVD with the restore disc just now, there is an icon that looks like a box. When I click it, it shows a box that gives contradictory information. It says it restores Mac OSX and software, but then says it will not install iTunes, iMovie, or iPhoto. No mention of iDVD. Then when I proceed with the install, after the license stuff, it goes to the install and usually at this point, you can see the customize button for the install. It was greyed out. So I stopped at this point.

There was another installer on the restore disc that required I restart the machine to do that one. I wasn't sure if that was the one to go with so I stopped it there.

I guess I can wait till I buy the OS 10.3 install and hope its there.

Thanks again-Nelson
That's the installer for the Software Restore app. Go ahead and install it. Once it's installed, run the Software Restore app and then you will be able to install iDVD from your restore DVD.
Vandelay Industries

fiskone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2004, 11:51 PM

try pacifist you can basically install only the apps you want from the dvd ...
let me know if this helps?

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/12743

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jan 12, 2004, 12:37 AM

Originally posted by fiskone:
try pacifist you can basically install only the apps you want from the dvd ...
let me know if this helps?

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/12743
Pacifist only works with package installers. iDVD and the other third party apps on the restore DVD are not packages. They are in hidden disk images. You can either use the Software Restore app or manually extract the images.
Vandelay Industries

Nelsun  (op)
Jan 12, 2004, 11:48 PM

Originally posted by Art Vandelay:
Pacifist only works with package installers. iDVD and the other third party apps on the restore DVD are not packages. They are in hidden disk images. You can either use the Software Restore app or manually extract the images.
Really? How does one go about finding the hidden disc images for extraction?

I tried the restore App and again, I stopped as it wouldn't do it as my OS was higher then the restore's OS, which surprised me. When this machine was at Apple, they must have done something to it that I don't see.

Thanks, Nelson

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 13, 2004, 12:32 AM

Originally posted by Nelsun:
Really? How does one go about finding the hidden disc images for extraction?

I tried the restore App and again, I stopped as it wouldn't do it as my OS was higher then the restore's OS, which surprised me. When this machine was at Apple, they must have done something to it that I don't see.

Thanks, Nelson
You use tinkertool )search versiontracker).
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

Nelsun  (op)
Jan 13, 2004, 12:44 AM

Thanks for the tip!

Nelson

Forum Links
Forum Rules