Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > How do I multi boot a b/w G3....

How do I multi boot a b/w G3....
Mal495
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2004, 02:22 PM

I have a blue/white PowerMac G3 with OS9 on the 12G HD it came with. I added a second 40G HD and installed OSX on it to duel boot with OS9, but it does not duel boot. It only boots into OSX. When im in OSX, I have two HD icon's on the desktop, a HD0 HD(which is the 12G OS9 HD) and a / HD which is where I installed OSX. How do I get it to boot into either. Also I want to add Yellow Dog Linux to the 40G HD but OSX took up the whole HD. Will Yellow Dog resize the 40G drive during install?

-Rob

reader50
Administrator
Jan 27, 2004, 03:50 PM

Go to System Preferences -> Startup Disk, and select the OS9 drive to boot from. In OS9, go to the Apple Menu -> Control Panels -> Startup Disk, and select the OSX drive to get back.

I've no experience with Yellow Dog, but you most likely need one of the drives to be partitioned so Yellow Dog can have it's own partition. Alternatively, another HD can often be fitted into the Zip bay if your system didn't come with a Zip.

Another shortcut: hold down the option key during bootup. You will get a selection of available systems to boot from.

Mal495  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2004, 09:57 PM

ok, tried it. pressing the option key does nothing. I was able to boot back into 9 using system preferences but I ifound out that although the OSX sees the OS9 HD, the OS9 does not see the OSX and now I cant boot back into OSX ;-(

PRessing the OPTION key didnot work when I was trying to switch from OSX or OS9.

HELP!

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2004, 12:25 AM

how did you format the drive with os x on it?

try holding the X key at power-up...that is supposed to force a boot into os x (and always worked for me back when I was switching back and forth a lot)
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

reader50
Administrator
Jan 28, 2004, 01:50 AM

Your OSX drive got formatted without OS9 drivers. During the format setup, there is a checkbox to install OS9 drivers, so the disk will be seen by OS9. If possible, I'd suggest copying off any data and reformatting the drive with those drivers.

Holding down the option key during bootup should bring up a graphical system select screen with all available systems. Beige systems do not have this feature, but the B&W should.

Hold down apple-x (not just x) during startup to force the system into OSX.

Hold down Shift-option-apple-delete to bypass the first startup volume and go to the second.

If worst comes to worst, disconnect the power connector from the OS9 drive while your system is off. Then boot, the system will give up on the first drive and go to the next option. Once you're in X, reset the startup volume to the X volume in System Preferences. After that, you can shut down, reconnect power to the OS9 disk, and still reboot into X.

asidrane
Jan 28, 2004, 02:07 AM

The dual boot option isn't available on the B&W. Apple didn't put the ability to choose the OS at the computer's startup until recently.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 28, 2004, 06:21 AM

As I recently reminded readers of this thread, the option key boot selector, known officially as the Startup Manager, was introduced with AGP Macs -- if the Mac has AGP graphics, then it will have Startup Manager, FireWire target disk mode, and the ability to boot from USB and FireWire. If it has PCI graphics, none of those features are available.

tooki

Mal495  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2004, 07:41 PM

Can the option to choose OS at startup be added?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 1, 2004, 07:49 PM

Not in firmware.

Yellow Dog includes a utility (yaboot) which might be able to do it, but seriously, don't get your hopes up.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules