Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" rev b hinge question

12" rev b hinge question
ryanhugh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 25, 2004, 12:48 PM

Hey everyone, I've had my powerbook for around 8 or 9 months now, the hinge is now starting to stutter (if that makes any sense)and make a popping sound when I adjust or close it after having it open for a few minutes. I am just wondering if this is normal, or should I call apple? Its not real bad but I'm worried it will get worse over time...thanx!

ryanhugh  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2004, 04:35 PM

...so does anyone elses powerbook do this?

iREZ
Professional Poster
May 26, 2004, 05:19 PM

I've had my PB since late Jan of this year, and I haven't noticed any hinge issues that your getting. I'd check out a local Apple store and talk to a "genius" about it.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

eatinwokout
Mac Enthusiast
May 26, 2004, 05:26 PM

I don't have a popping noise when opening and closing the lid. However, I can feel a small clicking when opening and closing. I was planning on taking it in to get looked at this weekend.

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
May 27, 2004, 07:55 AM

Mine does this occasionally. I'm not going to take it in anywhere until it actually falls apart, though. I don't think it sounds all that serious. Back it up, regularly though!

tomasboudr
May 27, 2004, 10:49 AM

Mine (rev A 12") does this but it doesn't hurt anything... I wouldn;t worry about it. mine has been doing this for quite a while.
Old Skool ~ 3rd Gen iPod
New Skool ~ White MacBook 2Ghz

tomasboudr
May 27, 2004, 10:51 AM

and to answer your other fear...

Mine has actaully gotten ebtter over time. Meanning that the noise has gotten softer and softer.

I have noticed that it is louder when moving the screen in the direction you move it when you open it, then the other direction though.
Old Skool ~ 3rd Gen iPod
New Skool ~ White MacBook 2Ghz

physman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2004, 01:31 PM

I have a 15" Al rev A and I have the hinge creak pretty badly. It is starting to take quite a lot of force to "break" the screen free. It has been getting worse, not better, and I am starting to get concerned that the strain will damage my screen. I am just finishing up college and I am going to contact applecare as soon as I can bear to part with it.

im_noahselby
Senior User
Mar 12, 2005, 03:12 AM

Originally posted by tomasboudr:
and to answer your other fear...

Mine has actaully gotten ebtter over time. Meanning that the noise has gotten softer and softer.

I have noticed that it is louder when moving the screen in the direction you move it when you open it, then the other direction though.
I've had my PowerBook for over a year now I think, and I hear a creaking noise when I pull my PowerBook screen back. However, I don't hear it when I pull the screen down to put it to sleep.

I'm undecided about how serious this issue is. The creaking sound sounds like I could be stripping something and that it may make it loose over time. I thought that it would just go away, but I've noticed its been doing this for awhile now.

If I brought my PowerBook into an Apple authorized reseller could they do something to fix it on the spot? I don't think this problem warrants my PowerBook being shipped to Apple somewhere to be pulled apart. It's just a minor annoyance that I am hoping doesn't escalate into greater issues over time.

Anyone else notice this problem with their PB hinge?

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

Dr.Michael
Mar 12, 2005, 08:14 AM

Anyone else notice this problem with their PB hinge?

Noah
If your hinges don't move smoothly or even make creaking noise, apply some drops of oil. Any oil will do it fine. No need to buy expensive special powerbook kits. Most of the time I use olive oil.

Best is to pour some drops of oil into the slits between the case and the hinge base. With an injection needle you can exactly place the oil so that the case will not be oily afterwards. This works perfectly. You will feel afterwards how well the lid opens again.

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 12, 2005, 07:02 PM

I wouldn't worry about it. Mine creaks and cracks all the time. It's just friction. Personally I'd prefer that than the thing flopping fully open and not staying where I put it.

The changes could be due to ambient temperature changes. Winter > Summer, etc?

hldan
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2005, 08:32 PM

My 17" Powerbook had that clicking sound in the right corner hinge and the hinge was loose when the lid was standing straight up. I took it to the Apple retail store and they sent it out. I made sure they noted everything was intact and no dents or scratches were on my computer. It came back perfect and the hinge was replaced.
Now the slight clicking noise is back when I open and close the lid but it's not loose anymore so I decided to let it go. Desktop computers never have asthetic problems because we never move them. This sort of thing will happen on any notebook computer.
Sony's Vaio notebooks have the strongest hinges I have ever seen but I have noticed them loosen and creak as well at the retail stores. Don't worry about it unless the screen gets loose then get it fixed.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

NYGEO18
Forum Regular
Mar 12, 2005, 11:26 PM

I dont think its a problem. As a previous poster noted, its better to have it stick a little than be flopping around. Mine does the same thing. Ive learned to open it in a fluid motion so that it doesnt make the sticking sound/movement. Its just friction, the friction of a tightly connected screen, what you want out of the connection anyway!
"Drinking and driving is wrong, but hey, the kids gotta get to school right?"
-Dave Attell

Forum Links
Forum Rules