Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > 2 iPods, one iBook

2 iPods, one iBook
daves666
Aug 7, 2004, 03:22 PM

So, my music collection is outgrowing my 20G iPod and I'm considering getting a 40G model. My idea is to have the 20G iPod be "mobile" and the 40G to be an archive of all my music and remain connected to my home stereo.

Any ideas on the best way to set up my music library for this setup? I was thinking of having the 40G set to auto-sync with the archive in iTunes and then manually manage the smaller capacity 20G. But I'm envisioning problems...

Any other suggestions out there?

Thanks in advance!

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2004, 03:37 PM

IMO, you'd be better off just selling the 20GB and getting a 40. Or get a Mini and use that as your portable one.

But...
I have 3 iPods on my G4 iBook, my 40, my Mini and my old 10GB which my g/f uses. I keep all three iPods manually synced and I only keep the latest albums and iTMS purchases (and audible.com content) on my hard drive.
I have all of my music (about 24GB) on the 40 and on an external hard drive (in case the iPod is ever lost, stolen or goes fubar.
When I want to update the Mini, or my g/f wants to make wholesale changes, I just copy the music from the external back to iTunes, make whatever changes I want and then I can always delete the music from the library when I'm done with it.
It may not sound that elegant but it works pretty easy. When I got my Mini, I needed to copy over about 700 songs/audiobooks to fill it, but even that didn't very long.
Plus, I have a backup in case something ever happens and I don't have to have that 24GB of music eating up more than 1/3 of the iBook hard drive.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2004, 04:32 PM

Originally posted by daves666:
So, my music collection is outgrowing my 20G iPod and I'm considering getting a 40G model. My idea is to have the 20G iPod be "mobile" and the 40G to be an archive of all my music and remain connected to my home stereo.
It seems that an Airport Express might be the cheaper alternative?

MacmanX
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 7, 2004, 09:27 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
It seems that an Airport Express might be the cheaper alternative?
I agree. You could manually manage the music on your 20gig iPod, and play your entire collection on your stereo with Airport Express. This would also give you an extra base station for your WDS you were asking about in your "2 router" thread. All for less than a new iPod.

Cheers!
Satellite deployment by:
Ace Moving Co.

daves666  (op)
Aug 7, 2004, 10:55 PM

Thanks for the input - I hadn't really considered AE as an alternative [and I guess I'll have to come up with another rationale for the new iPod purchase!].

Nelsun
Aug 8, 2004, 02:33 PM

Randman-

I was curious about the issue of the first gen and latest iPod and compatibility issues. I have a first gen 10gb iPod that I've never really used for music. But now I want to. And to do so, I bought a new 4G 40gb iPod yesterday, so I can keep the 10gb iPod pristine at home. But the question is, the 10gb iPod is running OS 1.3, the 40GB is running OS 3. My iTunes library is building up now as I rip my CD's and for now I'm using an older G4 on OS 10.2.6 to do that in. I've been waiting to upgrade it to OS 10.3.4 after I back it up or get the new G5. The iTunes I use is version 4. I have a new Powerbook G4 17" that I use for work that I don't want to clog up with music files.

So with this current set up, are there issues with using the older iPod and new iPod with this version of iTunes 4? As I said, as soon as I back up the G4, I'll dump all vital files to my external HD, upgrade it to 10.3.4 and load the iTunes CD that came with the new iPod. But for now, I was just going see if I could keep going along as it is.

Thank!

Nelsun

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2004, 03:38 PM

[and I guess I'll have to come up with another rationale for the new iPod purchase!].
I so had to laugh at that.

I've been trying to do just that, too, but can't for now...

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2004, 02:39 AM

Originally posted by Nelsun:
I was curious about the issue of the first gen and latest iPod and compatibility issues. I have a first gen 10gb iPod that I've never really used for music. But now I want to. And to do so, I bought a new 4G 40gb iPod yesterday, so I can keep the 10gb iPod pristine at home. But the question is, the 10gb iPod is running OS 1.3, the 40GB is running OS 3. My iTunes library is building up now as I rip my CD's and for now I'm using an older G4 on OS 10.2.6 to do that in. I've been waiting to upgrade it to OS 10.3.4 after I back it up or get the new G5. The iTunes I use is version 4. I have a new Powerbook G4 17" that I use for work that I don't want to clog up with music files.

So with this current set up, are there issues with using the older iPod and new iPod with this version of iTunes 4? As I said, as soon as I back up the G4, I'll dump all vital files to my external HD, upgrade it to 10.3.4 and load the iTunes CD that came with the new iPod. But for now, I was just going see if I could keep going along as it is.
It works for me, but I have iTunes set to manually sync all three iPods. I can't think of a way that even having auto sync on would be a problem. The firmware version of the iPod won't matter when it's connected to your Mac(s).

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2004, 02:43 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
I've been trying to do just that, too, but can't for now...
Luckily, I did. I'm buying a new 4G 40 from a guy I know who bought one on the same day his wife did, so I'm getting about 10% of the purchase price (and no tax) for an unopened one.
The main reason for switching is the improved battery life (I travel often so that is a biggie), plus the extra controls when it comes to audiobooks (have pretty good stack of audible.com stuff still wading through).

mikeini
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2004, 05:05 AM

Wat do you do when you have 1 iPod between 2 Computers?

I have one comp at my moms, the other at my dad's. Both have pretty much the same music but if i want to , i want to be able to add an album or something from either computers.

Is there a way to do so? Btw - one is a mac and one is a pc if that helps. I have heard of SharePod , but it is an exe and unfortunately Mac OS X doesnt read exe's (im still somewhat new to mac).

Mike

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 9, 2004, 08:29 AM

Mike,
I'd pick one and go with that (I'd pick the Mac over the peecee). If your Mom's pc has a burner, just burn a cd with the music you want, then import it to iTunes on the Mac later on.

Nelsun
Aug 9, 2004, 11:06 AM

Thanks Randman! Appreciate the input.

mikeini
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2004, 03:48 PM

thanks randman. I GOTTA PICK THE MAC .. BUT OF COURSE

but i thought maybe there was a 3rd party prog or something that could do that.

Thanks again.

mike

MacmanX
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 10, 2004, 11:59 PM

Thanks for the input - I hadn't really considered AE as an alternative [and I guess I'll have to come up with another rationale for the new iPod purchase!].
It's funny, I was considering buying a new iPod (I have a 1st gen.), but after this thread, I've convinced myself that Airport Express is the way for me to go also. Though, I don't feel too bad since I wanted an Airport Express but couldn't rationalise it.

Cheers!
Satellite deployment by:
Ace Moving Co.

Forum Links
Forum Rules