Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Question regarding partitions.

Question regarding partitions.
Trapper
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2004, 10:47 PM

Hi there:

I had a major computer crash this weekend. Long story short - I had to completely erase my hard drive and I lost everything on it. I was lucky that I had the important files backed up. But still, I did lose a lot of important files nonetheless. Everything seems to be back to normal for now. However, since the hard drive is essentially wiped clean, I thought this might be a good time to do some changes. I have a 40GB hard drive, and what I was thinking of doing was partitioning the drive in the following way: a small partition with just the basic OS X and disk utility on it (maybe Norton as well, if I buy it). I'm not sure what size it should be, so any help would be great; next, a partition with OS 9 and some of my favourite games on it - maybe 5 - 10 GB or so. Finally, the rest will be my main partition. Can anyone talk me through how to do this? I have the install disk for OS 9 that came with my iMac, but everytime I have tried in the past to actually install it, I haven't been able to.

Thanks
Travis

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2004, 11:33 PM

It's actually fairly simple to do this with Disk Utility. If you have everything you want off that disk, fire up the OS X installer and select Disk Utility from the File Menu after you get to the first install screen. From there you can select your disk, and set-up the partitions and format the disk without too much hassle.

A 40GB drive is kind of small to be carving up into 3 slices, but I guess if it gives you want you want who cares. You will probably want your home directory to reside on the third and largest partition, right? There's probably better info on this elsewhere but perhaps this will help...

http://forums.osxfaq.com/viewtopic.p...750&forum=14&7

I know it's not step by step, but I'm not sure I could reproduce the steps without actually wiping a disk. Good luck to you!

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2004, 11:39 PM

I think 10 gigs for osx 10 for classic and 20 for files.

Forum Links
Forum Rules