Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbooks in movies and in the hands of the famous

Powerbooks in movies and in the hands of the famous (Page 3)
cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 9, 2004, 09:20 AM

Originally posted by cold aspiration:
they both did. oddly enough, it was the same.

hey guys in "40 days and 40 nights" the main character works at a dot com company.. a dot company that uses nothing BUT macs! the whole movie just screams out macintosh. everywhere you look

oh and also the net flix commercial. the guy orders a movie from a pbook.

I saw dr. phil using isights, a 20inch flat monitor with G5 for his interview people and a 17inch pbook witth isight for his office.

in freaky friday, the teachers in the teachers lounge uses pbooks.

its kind of sad that its one of the main things I notice in movies now....
Don't feel bad, everytime I see one in a movie or show, I have to pause the tivo just to tell my wife "Look Mac!" I've got her hooked now. Powerbook for me, and one for her on the way. Oh, BTW a post above said that both Meg and Tom used powerbooks, they unfortunately did not. Meg did, however Tom did use a Thinkpad. Oh well, not everyone can be perfect

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Aug 9, 2004, 09:21 AM

I'm a huge fan of "Alias", the TV series. Sydney uses a 12" Al PB at her house and the tech guy, Marshall, sometimes uses an iBook.

lucas3735
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2004, 02:24 PM

Originally posted by drg:
Just saw some pictures of John Kerry on CNN, one had him using a 17 inch powerbook in his personal library. The photographer said it was the first thing he did after getting dressed in the morning.
drg
Look at the pic you tool. Port door on back, round power adapter, infrared port. Yeah, nice 17inch powerbook. Don't you mean 1st gen tibook probably running OS 9. Pitiful, just like he is.

http://joi.ito.com/images/kerryapple.jpg
12" PowerBook 1.33Ghz

LORL
Aug 18, 2004, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by lucas3735:
Look at the pic you tool. Port door on back, infrared port. Yeah, nice 17inch powerbook. Don't you mean 1st gen tibook probably running OS 9. Pitiful, just like he is.

Rrrright...maybe you should work on anger management?

skelotar
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2004, 10:39 PM

The eccentric fitness guy had a mac in the movie Dodgeball.. not sure if this was already posted, but i'm not gonna read through all this
::: r00t ::: - 15" PBook / 1.25 GB/ 1.33Ghz

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2004, 07:05 AM

Originally posted by TheIceMan:
I'm a huge fan of "Alias", the TV series. Sydney uses a 12" Al PB at her house and the tech guy, Marshall, sometimes uses an iBook.
Oh, I miss Alias, no more Alias show on my country, but I can remember one localization on Las Vegas maybe?, where a Mac OS X terminal app was shown

fiveyearwinter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2004, 09:29 AM

In Barbershop 2 (shut up! ) there's a PB 17", and in Saved! the main character (Mary) uses an iBook to accidentally look at...a questionable website.
Statement 1: Statement 2 is false.
Statement 2: Statement 1 is true.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 19, 2004, 10:11 AM

Look at the pic you tool. Port door on back, round power adapter, infrared port. Yeah, nice 17inch powerbook. Don't you mean 1st gen tibook probably running OS 9. Pitiful, just like he is.

whats pitiful about a TiBook or os 9?

lucas3735
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2004, 11:22 AM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
whats pitiful about a TiBook or os 9?
Nothing with a TiBook, but OS 9 is seriously the WORST OS I have ever seen. But simply because its Kerry it makes it a POS, like him. Hes a traitor to his country.
12" PowerBook 1.33Ghz

STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 19, 2004, 11:25 AM

HAHA! I'm with ya, Lucas!
Apple user since 1987

lucas3735
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2004, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by STAT:
HAHA! I'm with ya, Lucas!
Good. Hard to find an anti-liberal mac user nowadays...
Bush 2004
12" PowerBook 1.33Ghz

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2004, 01:34 PM

I went to a crosby, stills, and nash show last night (awesome show) and during the concert, I noticed a 15 inch powerbook on stage.

Fabiano007
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2004, 01:48 PM

Nothing with a TiBook, but OS 9 is seriously the WORST OS I have ever seen.

Try to use some windows
specially windows 3.0, 3.1, 3.11 ...
FABIANO

iREZ
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2004, 02:35 PM

Lucas stop spraying your garbage here and go somewhere where the likes of you and STAT can appreciate your love for the guy who got us where we are today.

Political Lounge
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

lucas3735
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2004, 02:42 PM

Originally posted by iREZ:
Lucas stop spraying your garbage here and go somewhere where the likes of you and STAT can appreciate your love for the guy who got us where we are today.

Political Lounge
Its only garbage to you because you are sadly a liberal. Maybe one day you'll come around, until then, can it.
12" PowerBook 1.33Ghz

fiveyearwinter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2004, 02:54 PM

Stop giving conservatives a bad name (of which I am one).

There's a difference between having convictions and being a jerkhole.
Statement 1: Statement 2 is false.
Statement 2: Statement 1 is true.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 20, 2004, 08:20 AM

welcome folks, one and all, to the show that never ends!

It is asinine to speak of how great a person is or is not based on whether or not they happen to have an Apple product sitting in front of them.

Having purchased an Apple product bestows no particular wisdom or insight upon the owner, it simply means they had cash enough to buy the item.

That's the barrier of entry: money.

Given that particular knowledge, there's no real reason to get excited about how cool a celebrity ( and let's face it, some pols are just celebrities with faces for radio ) is simply because there's a glowing Apple seated in front of them.

Knowing that money is the barrier to entry, I prefer politicians who pledge to not take my money. In lieu of that, I'll take thieves who promise to take less rather than more. This leaves me with more money to give to Apple, feed my family, and contribute to my community and charity instead of feeding bureaucracy.

More than that, political discussion belongs in the political lounge.

Thank you, and thank you very kindly!
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

plasticmoz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2004, 04:38 PM

Its only garbage to you because you are sadly a liberal. Maybe one day you'll come around, until then, can it.
Maybe you should keep your opinions to yourself or express them on a more appropriate forum. I think you've done a good job proving what an idiot you already are during the course of the last few posts.

RonnieoftheRose  (op)
Aug 20, 2004, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by Fabiano007:

Try to use some windows
specially windows 3.0, 3.1, 3.11 ...
Not a fair comparison as they weren't contemporary. OS9 was contempory with Windows 2000 and was miles behind technologically. But the table's been reversed now. Times have changed.

Hopeful_Monster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2004, 05:45 PM

The box looks a little big to be a PB, but there's no thread for "PowerMac's in the hands of the famous", so I'll put it here.

Anyways, Rob of Get Fuzzy picked up a Mac in today's strip.

Also, hello from a hopefully-soon-to-be-a-Powerbook-owner (with fame to follow)

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Sep 16, 2004, 12:30 PM

Just watching the third Season of Alias - Mac`s are everywhere!!
The are using Alu PB�s (12,17) and Sydney has an iMac at home.
Way to go!!
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

s0litude
Forum Regular
Sep 16, 2004, 04:00 PM

Jack Johnson, Blink 182, and Puff Daddy use Macs. You can see the 23" displays they use when doing music.
Hi!

Dougmc
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2004, 10:24 PM

The latest AI PowerBook sighting that I've noticed was in a vacuum cleaner commercial. I do believe that it was a 15" PB that was resting nicely with some scientific-looking data on the screen.

Network television�Dyson Vacuum cleaners commercial.

Enjoy.

D
17" PowerBook (delivered 4/2/2003) | www.mcschooler.com

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Sep 30, 2004, 02:14 AM

Originally posted by Dougmc:
The latest AI PowerBook sighting that I've noticed was in a vacuum cleaner commercial. I do believe that it was a 15" PB that was resting nicely with some scientific-looking data on the screen.

Enjoy.

D
PB`s are in a lot of commercials.
I think they are more "pleasing to the eye".
The Alu PB�s are very photogenic.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2004, 05:14 AM

They have a few in the labs on CSI, LV at least. Logos covered of course.
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2004, 06:22 AM

Originally posted by Dougmc:

Enjoy.

D
hey, I have a Dyson vacuum cleaner, really nice, where could I get that commercial?

Thanks.

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2004, 08:01 AM

They also use PowerBooks in the tv show "Friends", though they have taped over the Apple logo with duct tape.

Xisiqomelir
Sep 30, 2004, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by RonnieoftheRose:
OS9 was contempory with Windows 2000 and was miles behind technologically. But the table's been reversed now. Times have changed.
(OS9 is STILL more secure than 2000 will EVER be)

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Sep 30, 2004, 03:01 PM

The second season of Spooks (BBC) features everything a Mac fan could ask for: Cinema Displays (look like 20`s) and a Ti book.
I bet we will see some Alu books in the third series.

Me on Flickr.

V12
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2004, 03:11 PM

on the HBO series SIX FEET UNDER the character Brenda uses a PB (i believe she is using it to write her book)

azdude
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2004, 06:29 PM

I'm surprised not everyone is completely exhausted by this thread.

For years and years, Apple products have been in damn near every movie I see. (Ask my girlfriend, whose shoulder I tap at least once every weekly movie date when I see one of the Cinema Displays, G5s, iMacs, or Powerbooks that are sure to be there).

Is it really worth listing each one in a thread?

Not that I care... I just ignore this thread for the most part... I just think its funny whenever I see it up on the list.

But, not to be a total party pooper, I saw a few Apple products in "The Forgotten" last weekend:

G5 + 17" ASD (In the guy's office/daughter's room)
12" Powerbook (VERY briefly)
17" 2.33GHz C2D MacBook Pro / 320GB / 2GB

ChillieMac
Oct 2, 2004, 01:39 AM

Lucas,

1)

I'm getting sick of people like you using the word liberal as if it were an insult or bad word. Here's how the Dictionary defines liberal:

Not limited to or by established, traditional, orthodox, or authoritarian attitudes, views, or dogmas; free from bigotry.

Favoring proposals for reform, open to new ideas for progress, and tolerant of the ideas and behavior of others; broad-minded.

Yeah, I can see where Republicans hate liberarels...it means they can't run the lives of others! Looking at most 20th century Republicans views (closely knit bond between Church and State, low taxes...for the rich, no government programs for the poor, non pro-choice, no stem cell research, spend tax dollars abroad on "giving" freedom to countries that don't CLEARLY want it, anti-free speach, anti Gay) are authoritarian, dogmatic and NOT free of bigotry. The reson I say 20th century Republicans is because before World War 1, Republicans really represented the concept of smaller, less costly, less involved Government (fewer responsibilties and fewer taxes paid). They were not tight with the over zealous "Moral Majority" or a Corporate America. Those 2 sources are why I can't take the Republican Party as it is today seriously...there are Republicans who stand out from these two failings and are Old School, but many serve the rich and overly vocal religious right instead of the true majority of constituents. And after debating with a coworker of mine(very Republican), the only thing we agreed on was that we would vote for a ham sandwhich over the other candidate (I'd prefer a ham sandwhich over Bush as President and she would prefer the sandwhich versus Kerry). Bottom line...the country (this country AND Iraq) is worse off since Bush and with a "Stay the course" plan...means more unemployment, higher oil prices, more invasions that serve corporate interests at the cost of American lives, less privacy and more censorship.

2) Most people on this board mention Mac sightings that are years old...has anyone here watched tv or seen a movie this year?
24 on Fox counts as current, CSI/CSI Miami, Angel, recent Old Navy ads featuring feel good fabric and an office full of Mac users showing OS X Desktops! Steve Dahl, a radio personality of 20+ years uses and praises Macs and iPods on his show often, Rush Limbaugh (not all Republicans are bad).

Sorry I got counter-political on this board! Just hate the use of the word liberal in that way.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2004, 02:02 PM

Originally posted by hillcrest:
Seinfeld had a mac and upgraded as the series progressed.

I was watching the other night and noticed a TAM on Jerry's table!

jstein
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 3, 2004, 12:33 AM

In the new movie The Forgotten starring Julianne Moore a powerbook makes a few cameos. Also I have noticed when in more than a few TV shows/ movies the Apple Logo that lights up on the front lid always seems to be a aqua blue or turquoise color. Is that special effects or something else? Does anyone know?

Though I am not a big fan of reality shows the 12,15 and 17 inch model Alpb made an appearance on America's Next Top Model. Iphoto really comes in hand in the fashion world I see......

junebug630
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2004, 08:00 PM

Isn't the creator and writer of the Alias franchise the guy that is in the Apple Panther video that shows off all of the new Panther features. He calls the OS and the hardware brilliant.

King Chung Huang
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 3, 2004, 10:36 PM

Originally posted by jstein:
Also I have noticed when in more than a few TV shows/ movies the Apple Logo that lights up on the front lid always seems to be a aqua blue or turquoise color. Is that special effects or something else? Does anyone know?
That's most likely due to a difference in color temperatures. If the color temperature of the PowerBook's backlight is higher than what the film/sensor is rated/set at for the scene, then it'll appear 'bluish'.

Leo the 3rd
Oct 4, 2004, 07:56 PM

Well in the new Chanel commercial, Nicole Kidman stars, and Baz Lurhman does all the approval of the shooting remotely via PowerBook Ti's using iChat AV.

PER3
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 7, 2004, 04:01 AM

Nothing with a TiBook, but OS 9 is seriously the WORST OS I have ever seen. But simply because its Kerry it makes it a POS, like him. Hes a traitor to his country.
Comedy gold!!!

I think it's great that an American is trying to make use of irony as a humouristic device, I really do, so please don't take this as criticism.

The thing is, with irony, you have to make it a little more tongue-in-cheek, a little wry, if you will. The way you have been using it, people could actually get the impression that you were being serious! I mean there's no way that an intelligent man like yourself could really be a fully blown right-wing fruitcake, is there? And a Mac user at that!!! Ha, ha, ha!!

maxx9photo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 7, 2004, 10:54 AM

Steve Martin & Queen Latifah in Bringing down the house, also seems Apple product like PB seems to be used kinna like Leica camera in hollywood movies. They symbolize sexiness of both world! yeah baby and I have both!.

thetman
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2004, 09:48 AM

in the show Joey, his nephew, has a powerbook with the apple covered and Joey's agent has white headphones and i think i saw a mini in there too

Nibi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2004, 09:38 PM

Christina Ricci snorts coke off of a Powerbook in the Woody Allen Comedy Anything Else (2003) It was really friggin funny. I almost choked on my yoo-hoo.
Well man, sometimes you just gotta race.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2004, 10:01 PM

Mr 3000 with bernie mac. powerbooks galore

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

jstein
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2004, 09:29 PM

Do not know if anyone caught 60 minutes tonights. The story on SNL and what goes on behind the scenes behind the week was great. There was an Apple product in every shot almost. iMacs, iBooks and of course Powerbooks......

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2004, 11:28 PM

How is this guy supposed to run the country?

Oh yeah, Macs were everywhere in "School of Rock" starring Jack Black.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2004, 01:35 AM

Originally posted by jamil5454:

the genius kid used a TiBook I think
iamwhor3hay

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2004, 05:03 AM

Originally posted by jamil5454:

politics goes into the political lounge

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

8minute
Nov 1, 2004, 07:35 PM

[
Originally posted by jstein:
Also I have noticed when in more than a few TV shows/ movies the Apple Logo that lights up on the front lid always seems to be a aqua blue or turquoise color. Is that special effects or something else? Does anyone know?
There's a mod that I have seen online that tells you how to change the colour of the apple logo on the lid. If I can recall, there's a piece of white paper covering the clear opening where the logo is. Change the paper colour and hey presto, you have a different colour apple logo.

As for more famous Powerbook users ... it seems Jenna Jameson is a Ti Book user (discretion recommended when viewing )

http://wiredblogs.tripod.com/cultofm...art=1092172377

| 12"Al.PB:1.33GHz:1.25GB:100GB:SD |

STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2004, 07:57 PM

Originally posted by 8minute:
There's a mod that I have seen online that tells you how to change the colour of the apple logo on the lid. If I can recall, there's a piece of white paper covering the clear opening where the logo is. Change the paper colour and hey presto, you have a different colour apple logo.
I did that on my iBook back in the day, but wouldn't recommend it. I wound up stripping some of the screws taking the lid apart (VERY easy to do) and then had problems with the backlight (possibly due to what I'd done). So then when I went to send it in for repair, I had to "re-do" the logo color and make up some story about the two missing lid screws. Not worth it if you ask me.
Apple user since 1987

STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 16, 2004, 09:28 AM

Here is a picture of Justin Furstenfeld, lead singer of Blue October, using a 15" TiBook. This was taken over the summer at a solo show of his (5591 show).

( Last edited by STAT; Nov 16, 2004 at 02:19 PM. )
Apple user since 1987

junebug630
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 19, 2004, 12:43 AM

Am I right in thinking the guy that plays Michael, the nephew on the TV series Joey has a Al 15" ? They cover the logo with some sticker, but I am pretty sure he does.

Forum Links
Forum Rules