Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Vector Graphics

Vector Graphics
Aluminum
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2004, 12:04 AM

probably is my favorite type of artwork, I have personally never done one before, for example, if I get a picture of myself and I want to vectorize it, it is not one simple plugin or filter that can do this correct, its to ability to draw it into illustrator and then vectorize it correct? Or is photoshop what I should be working with. Once again, any comment or thoughts are welcome.
15.2" Al/1.25ghz/1gig/Superdrive/80(5400)

ntt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2004, 01:15 AM

There's a lot of people who do "vector-style" art by running some filters over an image in photoshop.

There's also a lot of people out there who draw things in illustrator and can either do photo-realistic art, or something more stylized. This method is true vector art and takes much longer than photoshop filters.

In my opinion, real vectoring, using Illustrator or similar, is the way to go. It just takes a lot longer.

Aluminum  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2004, 06:05 AM

ntt, are you familiar with the process in illustrator? or have any sights with some illustrator tutorials?

art_director
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2004, 08:26 AM

check out adobe streamline.

ntt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2004, 09:39 AM

Streamline will do it for you. I'm not familiar with its abilities though.

I do vector stuff using Macromedia Fireworks. Some samples of my stuff at http://bestbits.ii.net/graphics_ntt/

Basically, I start with a photo or similar, trace things out using the Pen tool, creating larger shapes first, adding a layer and doing detail lines, adding a layer and doing shadows and shines. My method is quite painstaking, often taking 12hrs a pic.

Others use Illustrator's gradient meshes, a very cool tool.

There are tutorials out there. I just sorta tinkered till I found something that worked.

Hope that helps.

art_director
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2004, 09:41 AM

ntt: nice illustrations. they must have taken you an eternity.

Thorzdad
Oct 26, 2004, 11:05 AM

Here's the all-vector work of a true Adobe Illustrator GOD.

It's mind-boggling.

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2004, 04:25 PM

wow. [severly understated]

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2004, 04:26 PM

Originally posted by ntt:
Basically, I start with a photo or similar, trace things out using the Pen tool, creating larger shapes first, adding a layer and doing detail lines, adding a layer and doing shadows and shines. My method is quite painstaking, often taking 12hrs a pic.
nice work ntt. clean handling of the tools.

art_director
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2004, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by Thorzdad:
Here's the all-vector work of a true Adobe Illustrator GOD.

It's mind-boggling.

Oh my freaking gwaaaaaaaaad! That's baaaad azzzzzzzzz,,,,

Aluminum  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2004, 07:28 PM

so illustrator or streamline? Why would you go with illustrator over streamline if streamline does it quicker? I might just be misinterpreting here however.

art_director
Professional Poster
Oct 26, 2004, 10:27 PM

Originally posted by Aluminum:
so illustrator or streamline? Why would you go with illustrator over streamline if streamline does it quicker? I might just be misinterpreting here however.

it's not an either or situation. it's more a matter of the project at hand and the desired outcome. ill / streamline � both have pros and cons.

Aluminum  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2004, 05:18 AM

and what would those be from your personal account? Have any links to some good tutorials by chance?

Thorzdad
Oct 27, 2004, 09:12 AM

You need to look at the Illustrator/Streamline relationship this way...Illustrator is the vector workhorse. You use it to create/manipulate any vector art as well as text. Streamline is best thought of as a utility that converts bitmapped images into vectors that you then take to Illustrator for manipulation.

You can absolutely work your entire career as a vector artist using just Illustrator and never once need to use Streamline.

Illustrator, in fact, has a vectorization tool already built-in. It's not anywhere near as powerful (or accurate) as the stand-alone Streamline application, but it's handy in a pinch.

art_director
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 09:58 AM

Originally posted by Thorzdad:
You need to look at the Illustrator/Streamline relationship this way...Illustrator is the vector workhorse. You use it to create/manipulate any vector art as well as text. Streamline is best thought of as a utility that converts bitmapped images into vectors that you then take to Illustrator for manipulation.

You can absolutely work your entire career as a vector artist using just Illustrator and never once need to use Streamline.

Illustrator, in fact, has a vectorization tool already built-in. It's not anywhere near as powerful (or accurate) as the stand-alone Streamline application, but it's handy in a pinch.

That sums it up.

For tutorials I'd have a gander at Adobe.com.

Forum Links
Forum Rules