Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > ** The Wait's Over - ShapeShifter 2.0 **

** The Wait's Over - ShapeShifter 2.0 ** (Page 2)
Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 26, 2004, 04:29 PM

I only use one theme. So I really don't need a theme changer like this.

But what a GREAT JOB they did.

Congratulations.

ambush
Banned
Oct 26, 2004, 04:45 PM

great

SalsaShark
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2004, 04:46 PM

Well I did what the iTunes thread said and I cleared my cache and everything seemed to be working again, but as soon as I tried opening a window in the finder, it crashed and reverted to Aqua icons.

Twister
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2004, 04:49 PM

SalsaShark try a restart, or repair disk permissions. It all works for me with itunes 4.7 and all. LOVE the iTunes skin for sof-o-matic or whatever it's called!!

smeger  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 04:51 PM

Now that SS 2.0 is out, I'd like to publicly thank all of the people who helped create it. BBX did the rocking graphics, and the cool "reveal" poster. Our wonderful beta team basically made this release - they were instrumental in designing the new features, specifying how they'd work, forcing me to implement stuff I thought was stupid but turned out not to be, and, of course, testing. They also did the various teaser posters you guys have been seeing over the past week. Our localizers did insane amounts of tedious translation and had to put up with me emailing them constantly ("just one more translation, I promise"). The Unsanity guys have been supportive as hell, and have worked hard to keep my nose to the grindstone. And, of course, our users, without whom none of this would have been worth anything.

Thanks to all of you, and enjoy the new release! ThemePark 2.0 will probably be out today, tomorrow at the latest.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2004, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by SalsaShark:
Well I did what the iTunes thread said and I cleared my cache and everything seemed to be working again, but as soon as I tried opening a window in the finder, it crashed and reverted to Aqua icons.
hello fellow ithacan.

but how the crap do you remember that you have an account nearly 4 years after you registered?

SalsaShark
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2004, 05:05 PM

I restarted and reapplied the theme. So far so good.

As for the 4 year old dormant account, well, umm, I actually tried to create a new one and it pointed out the user name was in use. Turned out to be mine. And just cause I lurk, doesn't mean I'm a newbie around here.

SilentEchoes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2004, 05:17 PM

So far so good. I just updated my Radeon firmware ( just came out this month incase any Radeon users are not aware ) and its like running a whole new system. Everything is visibly sharper and ShapeShifter is working great. Thanks for a hell of an update guys. Even if you did cause me a horrid case of insomnia last night. Worth the wait. Thanks again Unsanity and the ShapeShifter team.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 05:34 PM

Yay looks like we'll be having a 1.0.1 update after all! lol
For one I think you mean 2.0.1 and for two, I hate to say "I told you so" but, I told you so...

ambush
Banned
Oct 26, 2004, 05:52 PM

where is omega tho ;P

Ishan Bhattacharya
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2004, 06:29 PM

Originally posted by Rosyna:
Silk can change the fonts.
Yes, I know. But for whatever reason, Silk is the only haxie (and I run almost all) that causes system instability, and the interface is not intuitive. So I have given up on it. Also, finding the single right font which fits properly everywhere, not just in the menubar but also in dialog boxes, i.e., doesn't have parts of words truncated, etc. is not so easy.

ishan

cube3
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2004, 06:57 PM

Ambush, all the beta testers got a copy of omega, but BBX couldn't finish it in time because of the baby etc, he said he'll get around to it when he has time...it's a pity though, by my estimate we're only waiting on one or two buttons...

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 06:59 PM

Originally posted by cube3:
Ambush, all the beta testers got a copy of omega, but BBX couldn't finish it in time because of the baby etc, he said he'll get around to it when he has time...it's a pity though, by my estimate we're only waiting on one or two buttons...
Yup I'm using it right now..

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=233254
click one

FB Eye
Senior User
Oct 26, 2004, 07:16 PM

As a proud registered owner of Xounds, I think the obvious next step is to incorporate soundset support for themes...

So smeger, is this in the pipeline? I think that sounds are a natural add-on to themes, as it would kick up the overall experience another notch...

mugget
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2004, 08:02 PM

nice work.

as i knew, released while i was sleeping. i haven't even had a chance to look at this yet... but it looks awesome. great work.

Acrimonium
Oct 26, 2004, 08:17 PM

Did I say Thanks ?
Nice evolution from 1.2...
Lets play now...

midwinter
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 08:53 PM

dumb question: where can I download icon packs for SS?

Holigen
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 09:05 PM

Awesome smeger. Thanks!

Just one thing though. Adium does not like to play well with SS. When SS changes its icon, it will keep returning back to the dock icon chose in preferences. Anyway around this.

.: 15" PowerBook G4 - 1.5 GHz - 512 MB RAM - ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 MB VRAM - 80 GB HD @ 5400 rpm :.

idle
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2004, 09:23 PM

Originally posted by Lacke:
I bought SS 1.2 6 weeks ago. Can I upgrade to 2.0 or do I have to pay $20 again?
its free.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2004, 11:51 PM

Ack! I was cleaning up some themes and I accidently deleted Exec. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling to no avail. Anyway I can get a copy of it, or can I get a walkthrough on the process of completely uninstalling SS and installing so I can get Exec back? Thanks.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Rosyna
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2004, 11:57 PM

Originally posted by Randman:
Ack! I was cleaning up some themes and I accidently deleted Exec. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling to no avail. Anyway I can get a copy of it, or can I get a walkthrough on the process of completely uninstalling SS and installing so I can get Exec back? Thanks.
Click the downloads tab, and keep clicking next until Exec appears...

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2004, 12:25 AM

Ah, thanks. Baseball and it's morning here and I'm on a night shift, so not a good combination for coherent thought.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

slava
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2004, 12:49 AM

Originally posted by midwinter:
dumb question: where can I download icon packs for SS?
You can use any CandyBar iContainers (also known as 'red' iContainers) -- various icon sites offer that, you can start at http://www.iconfactory.com/ -- just drag the iContainer to the ShapeShifter themes/icons table and it'll be magically added.
// slava@unsanity

midwinter
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 12:54 AM

Originally posted by slava:
You can use any CandyBar iContainers (also known as 'red' iContainers) -- various icon sites offer that, you can start at http://www.iconfactory.com/ -- just drag the iContainer to the ShapeShifter themes/icons table and it'll be magically added.
Thanks! Btw, if you're down at Unsanity in St. George, I hope the flooding isn't too bad. I'm at the other end of the state.

slava
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2004, 01:08 AM

Originally posted by midwinter:
Thanks! Btw, if you're down at Unsanity in St. George, I hope the flooding isn't too bad. I'm at the other end of the state.
I hope the flooding isn't too bad for Brian and Andrew. Personally I am is in Russia. But thanks =)
// slava@unsanity

valdur
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2004, 04:20 AM

now that it's out....i better see a hell of a lot of updated themes or this is pretty pointless. now get to work people...especially you xanthic! ( )if you're out there somewhere....in fact i'm looking forward to an updated tiskin more than i am with the release of omega--a fictitious theme conjured by the hype most of you have produced over something you have not even come close to using--unlike other great themes that actually already exist and is available...

now....back to the paper......

Banghazi
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2004, 05:09 AM

Originally posted by badidea:
...and the first bug report!

Downloading themes does work but the installation failes!

That's how it looks like:
<snip>

I changed the Azure theme from .dms to .guiKit and then it was possible to add it to the themes but that created the copy of it...?!?

What's wrong?

That ".dms" thing looks like a Safari bug that also replaces contextual message text with "Localized String Not Found". You either need to run Software Update and/or repair permissions.

If that doesn't work, then you need to follow the instructions here---> http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]

iamnotmad
Senior User
Oct 27, 2004, 08:12 AM

Maybe I missed it, but what's the deal with sweet slumber? still no workie. Why is the link still there if it does not work?

badidea
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 08:14 AM

Originally posted by Banghazi:
That ".dms" thing looks like a Safari bug that also replaces contextual message text with "Localized String Not Found". You either need to run Software Update and/or repair permissions.

If that doesn't work, then you need to follow the instructions here---> http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]
Thanks for your answer!
On page 1 someone mentioned SpeedDownload - well, I do have SpeedDownload but how can this or Safari be related to my problem when ShapeShifter is the downloading application?!?

While I don't have any other problems with downloads i will still try what is explained in your link when I get home from work - let's see if it will help....

Thanks!

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2004, 08:25 AM

When I had SpeedDownload installed it would sometimes download .dmg files as .dms

After I removed SpeedDownload this phenomenon vanished...

I would imagine the themes are packed in .dmg files

badidea
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 08:32 AM

Originally posted by cybergoober:
When I had SpeedDownload installed it would sometimes download .dmg files as .dms

After I removed SpeedDownload this phenomenon vanished...

I would imagine the themes are packed in .dmg files
Well, I never had this problem with SD and the themes have been downloaded by SS and not SD!

servo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2004, 08:34 AM

In my Finder sidebar my iDisk icon is not sticking. Last night it took on the System Preferences icon and this morning it is the original Preview icon. I've reverted to defaults and reapplied the different icon themes multiple times.

Anyone else have this problem?

slava
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2004, 08:57 AM

Originally posted by servo:
In my Finder sidebar my iDisk icon is not sticking. Last night it took on the System Preferences icon and this morning it is the original Preview icon. I've reverted to defaults and reapplied the different icon themes multiple times.
Servo, unfortunately this is a known bug we have noticed very close to shipping of ShapeShifter 2.0 so it is slated for the next update. In case you'll ever want to inquiry about the status of the bug, mention it's ID (#SS-49). Either way, the only workaround for this for now is to disable iDisk icon from the sidebar altogether.
// slava@unsanity

Lee33
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2004, 08:57 AM

The best just got better. Thanks guys for all the hard work. Two thumbs up.

servo
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2004, 09:03 AM

Originally posted by slava:
Servo, unfortunately this is a known bug we have noticed very close to shipping of ShapeShifter 2.0 so it is slated for the next update. In case you'll ever want to inquiry about the status of the bug, mention it's ID (#SS-49). Either way, the only workaround for this for now is to disable iDisk icon from the sidebar altogether.
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm glad you know about the issue and it's not just me.

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2004, 09:18 AM

Originally posted by servo:
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm glad you know about the issue and it's not just me.
Same thing here, servo, although I mentioned it in the CandyBar/Shapeshifter thread.
It's just so hard to determine what goes wrong where, when you try to combine SS2 with icon mod and CB2. I'll sit and wait for bug fixes.

Banghazi
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2004, 09:22 AM

Originally posted by badidea:

Thanks for your answer!
On page 1 someone mentioned SpeedDownload - well, I do have SpeedDownload but how can this or Safari be related to my problem when ShapeShifter is the downloading application?!?

While I don't have any other problems with downloads i will still try what is explained in your link when I get home from work - let's see if it will help....

Thanks!

Good question.

I guess it might be a system-wide problem..

but just out of curiousity, where exactly did SS download these ".dms" file to? ie., what path? (~/Home/Desktop, etc.)

badidea
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 09:35 AM

Good question.

I guess it might be a system-wide problem..

but just out of curiousity, where exactly did SS download these ".dms" file to? ie., what path? (~/Home/Desktop, etc.)
It downloaded these ".dms" files to the theme folder as seen in my screenshot on the first page!

and to make things a bit more clear what happened:
1. I clicked on the download link in the theme window in ShapeShifter
2. ShapeShifter downloaded the themes (to the themes folder but that was nowhere to be seen)
3. ShapeShifter automatically tried to install the themes but failed and brought up some error message (that I don't remember right now)
4. I searched for the themes and found what can be seen in my screenshot

Banghazi
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2004, 09:45 AM

Me be unsmart. I don't know why I asked where it d/l's the guikits to.. I have that folder in my sidebar.

What I would like to know is, where does it download the cursor sets, desktop pics, and icons to? Is that all packed into the guikit? If so, how do I get the goodies out manually?

ntt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2004, 10:46 AM

SS2 is great overall. Love it. BUT it is acting inconsistently.
I change Icon sets and the dock icons don't change, or, when applying the Somatic icons, all but Mail change.

Otherwise it is great. Good job guys.

Raphael
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2004, 10:58 AM

to ntt:
It all depends on the icons included by the author in the iContainer, if an application is not included in a set, ShapeShifter will not replace it.

to SalsaShark:
Think I've left this account dormant a long time too ;-)

Raf

MetalSnake
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2004, 01:02 PM

Found two "bugs" in ShapeShifter 2.0 or Fear Platinium 3 (I don�t know)

1:

2:

aManDrinksMilk
Oct 27, 2004, 01:05 PM

hey where can I get that UnRar???
"If believe that you are a man then you should be drinking milk."
-Me

MetalSnake
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2004, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by aManDrinksMilk:
hey where can I get that UnRar???
It�s called Gumby and has some more features than UnRar

http://gumby.misplacedmac.com/

badidea
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2004, 02:13 PM

I tried what is suggested when you click that link but it didn't help!
Here's what happens after SS has downloaded a theme...

Banghazi
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2004, 05:14 AM

I guess it's still downloading the files as ".dms"s..

I don't know what to tell you except keep trying that procedure I linked you to.

You wouldn't happen to have AppleCare, would you? (1-800-MY-APPLE) because I don't think this is a problem specifically with SS, but that's just speculation i guess.

badidea
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2004, 07:33 AM

I guess it's still downloading the files as ".dms"s..
Yep, sure!

I don't know what to tell you except keep trying that procedure I linked you to.
Keep trying?
It didn't work the first time - I don't think it will get any better if I try it more often!?!

You wouldn't happen to have AppleCare, would you? (1-800-MY-APPLE) because I don't think this is a problem specifically with SS, but that's just speculation i guess.
No, no AppleCare and if it is not a problem specifically with SS then I haven't seen it anywhere else yet!
I never had downloading problems with any other application so far!

Is anybody here who uses SpeedDownload and has no problems with SS downloads?

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2004, 08:04 AM

Why not remove SpeedDownload and see if that solves your problem?

You can always re-install it. Perhaps an update to SD in is order...

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2004, 09:57 PM

[FEATURE REQUEST FOR SMEGER]

Please make it so that if one loads a newly downloaded theme and ShapeShifter already has a theme of the same name in it's library, it will ask you whether you would like to replace the original rather than just adding "Theme X copy 1."

Just a minor annoyance, and shouldn't be too hard to fix. Thanks.

badidea
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2004, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by cybergoober:
Why not remove SpeedDownload and see if that solves your problem?
Yep, that helps - SS and SD do not play well together

Forum Links
Forum Rules