Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Is there a good keyboard?

Is there a good keyboard?
AlHib
Oct 12, 2000, 01:54 PM

Our place has tried 4 MicroConnector keyboards and 1 MacSense keyboard - all bad (either DOA, sticky keys, dead keys, bad USB ports, etc.). I have also
heard in Macintouch that Macally are not the best. What does one use? What USB keyboards are there that are responsive, work, and don't sound like clickety-clacks? I would like to use my old ADB keyboard again.

Thanks,

Al

Trapper
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2000, 12:26 PM

My Macally iMediaKey works very well. I have had no problems with it whatsoever. Other people have complained about Macally keyboards, but I can only speak from my experience, and I would not hesitate to recommend this keyboard.

------------------
Travis Hreno
Department of Philosophy
University of Western Ontario
London, Ontario
CANADA
[email protected]
Travis

exa
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 13, 2000, 07:36 PM

What about the apple pro keyboard?

Archangel
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2000, 05:00 PM

I also have a Macally keyboard (iKey). I have been very very impressed with it. I love the feel of the keys and its doesn't have that clickety-clack sound. It's very quiet. I haven't had any problems with it yet. Excellent keyboard.

hawiken
Forum Regular
Oct 18, 2000, 03:20 AM

I'm using a macally, and it seems to work just fine. The apple pro has a nice feel, but it's kinda pricey. I tried a microconnectors, but it's awfully loud, and one of the usb ports was doa. Hard to beat the adb's. Oh, well...

drfrank
Forum Regular
Oct 19, 2000, 07:45 AM

I have been using a Macally iKey (graphite color) since I got my G4/500 in March and it works just fine. Nice touch, full-size, and not very expensive.

Frank

Bockie
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2000, 09:31 AM

I enjoy my Nu Form extended wave keyboard. The two USB ports are a little strangely placed: in the middle of the qwerty keys which is actually left of the center of the keyboard. It's in bondi, too!
09.11.01 - UNITED WE STAND

bluesea
Oct 19, 2000, 11:03 AM

The others feel loose compared to the Apple Pro, which is what I got. My second choice is one of the Microsoft keyboards since the're cheap and seem of better quality than Macally/MicroConnectors.

BobCritch
Oct 31, 2000, 04:36 AM

I have recently started using a Macally "iKey" with my iMac DV SE, and it works just fine. I did encounter a problem in the beginning: if I awakened the computer from "Sleep" mode by clicking the mouse, the computer would awaken OK, but the cursor would be frozen. I found that I could get it to work by simply unplugging the mouse connection to the keyboard and immediately reconnecting it. I phoned Macally about this and they said they had encountered the problem, fixed it, and didn't hesitate to offer me a replacement keyboard at no cost. However, I've since discovered that the problem disappears entirely if I wake up the computer by pressing any key on the keyboard. It's a very nice keyboard--so far: nice sound and nice action--and the price is right!.

kaceygones
Senior User
Nov 1, 2000, 12:04 AM

I have a DV SE and bought a graphite macally ikey keyboard at the same time. I wanted the extended keyboard with the extra F keys and all the home, help, etc. keys but as far as typing goes, it's harder to push the keys (it makes my hands/fingers tired of typing sooner) so, I went back to the keyboard my iMac came with--the keys are much softer and easier to type with. I wish I had all the extra keys but, I spend more time typing than I do using those extra keys so, for me, the switch made sense.
I thought about buying the Apple Pro keyboard but, three keyboards for one computer isn't really necessary. When I get my next computer.....

kacey

Forum Links
Forum Rules