Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Can I Recover DMG Files From Erased HD?

Can I Recover DMG Files From Erased HD?
phrenzy
Forum Regular
Jul 27, 2005, 08:03 AM

Hey all..

Well...

I was having problem w/ Tiger (installed on my 20gb HD) so I backed up all my important stuff to my 'backup' drive (120 gig) and proceeded to 'erase and install' Tiger.

Well, I didn't notice that the installer had defaulted to installing on my BACKUP drive - which of course erased it. I have many other backups of my previous computers which are important and they are all backed up as .dmg files. The problem is, it seems none of the data restoration apps (File Salvage / Data Rescue X) are able to 'recognize' .dmg files - as they are mostly geared toward media (jpgs, mp3s etc)

I'm sure I will not likely get back all of my stuff. Since I Installed OS X over the already erased HD, but I'm hoping that because it is such a large drive I might be able to find some stuff to salvage off of it.

Does anyone have any experience using these programs under similar circumstances? If so, what were you able to recover? Any .dmg files?

Thanks!

AnalystX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2005, 01:22 PM

Data Rescue X

Although just like any other missing file, you still may not be able to recover it. I just know from the standpoint of whether it's possible, it is. Out of dozens of DMG files on my erased hard drive, I was able to recover one.

Forum Links
Forum Rules