Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Nintendo Revolution: The hype machine kicks into gear with Revolution postcards (pix)

Nintendo Revolution: The hype machine kicks into gear with Revolution postcards (pix) (Page 3)
Dakar
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2006, 10:24 AM

Of course, we can thank the fact that wireless controllers will be standard this generation thanks to the well made success that is the WaveBird.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2006, 11:04 AM

Roumours abound that the NRS hardware has gone gold and is headed for the production lines. hmmmmm....tasty. It was some russian site quoting a japaneeses magazine, so i dont know how reliable they are...but it would be nice to see a release at E3.

Here's hoping...

Cheers

Ham Sandwich
Jan 5, 2006, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by starman
There are a "staggering amount" of NDSs in my local store. So f-----g what?
Just saying, that locally, people buy the PSP and turn it in for trade. At just ONE local Ebgames, they have 40 used PSPs currently whereas they've had one used NDS in the past 4 months. Other stores in the area show similar numbers.

Just bringing this up that at my local level, the PSP was a massive flop - as far as people keeping the machines. Buying them isn't a problem, it's actually keeping them. I'm sure this is mimicked all across the country. It would be interesting to see sales numbers for both machines, factoring in the number of people that still own them.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2006, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
Wow, never even heard of those guys. but seeing as you know a lot about that stuff.... how about...
-2 handed controllers
-shoulder buttons
-rumble
-wireless console controllers
-portable gaming consoles

And since we're discussing franchizes. FF is really popular i guess...beleive it or not, ive never played a FF game, and never actually seen a FF game being played (sans screenshots on the web). but anyway....how would Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong stack up against FF, seeing as how they have movd from pre-NES systems to the current GameCube ? not including franchize sales of course.

If i remember correctly Nintendo claims, it has sold 2.0x BILLION units of software titles it developed inhouse since it started making consoles. At last year's E3, Sony claimed 2 billion software sales total on it's PlayStation branded products.....that including every second and third party game sold as i understand it. Kinda funny for Sony to throw that number (2 billion) around eh ? seeing as how Nintendo itself has sold over 2 billion units of software not including third parties.

<yyaawwwnnn>.... spin it as much as you want. Nintendo is doing just fine, both in terms of hardware unit sales and software sales. i'd be more concerned about PSP's dismal performance globally and XB360s craptastic performance in Japan(seeing as how it is the world's second largest video game market in the world).

But anyway, lets forget about all that jazz since this thread is about the true Next Generation Gaming Console, as opposed to a console with JUST a CPU and GPU upgrade.

Viva la Revolution.

Cheers

2-Handed controllers. Explain. Atari 2600 had a 2-controller requirement for "Raiders of the Lost Ark". Every controller is "two handed". Try playing any game for any console pre-Nintendo with one hand .

Seriously, you're stretching. You think that Nintendo invented the two-handed controller? Let's see...if I hold my Atari 2600 controller in one hand, how do I press the fire button at the same time? WITH MY OTHER HAND.

Oh, and on the topic of strictly "analog", remember that Atari had analog paddles.

Portable gaming consoles? Try Mattell....or didn't you ever hear of them either? Or Coleco? Or any other gazillion PRE-NINTENDO consoles.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 5, 2006, 12:03 PM

Let's get things straight, Nintendo DID NOT invent the analog stick for gaming. That was the Odyssey 2 in 1976.
I had an Odyssey<superscript>2</superscript>. That was a joystick. So you're right, technically it was an analog stick, but it worked nothing like how Nintendo's analog stick worked.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2006, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by ort888
http://www.axess.com/twilight/console/

Just found this. Pretty cool page.

I don't think anyone bothered to look at this page. It should clear up who started what and when. It has every controller on it.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2006, 12:05 PM

I don't think anyone bothered to look at this page. It should clear up who started what and when. It has every controller on it.
No, it does not.

The Atari 2600 wireless controllers aren't listed on it.

http://www.vidgame.net/ATARI/peripherals.htm

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2006, 12:09 PM

Are those 1st party? It has every (most) first party controllers. At any rate, it's a cool link.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2006, 12:17 PM

No, there were two popular ones, and I think some lesser-known ones, but none were made by Atari themselves.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2006, 01:37 PM

I did. Cool stuff.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2006, 07:32 PM

I did, seen it ages ago as well. Good info, and chart. Thats when i developed the opiion that M$/$ony have onl managed to copy Nintendo and add nothing new. Both M$&$ony's controllers seem to be a generation behind Nintendo's and of course they dont add much to the mix except for more buttons and sticks.

But oh well.... like ive said before, the two fanboys who keep dissing Nintendo can stuff it for all i care. Nintedo's doing fine, and Sony(PSP) and Microsoft(XB360) arent. of the three consoles released last year, only one has seen success across the board and brought in new gamers (as opposed to just selling more hardware to technophiles). And id wager that that success will be mimicked with the home console seeing as how the strategy appears to be the same. Adequate horsepower, lower price, innovative control and wifi gaming.

So when do you guys reckon the NRS will make its market debut ? E3, soon after or thanksgiving ?

Cheers

jjlannoo
Forum Regular
Jan 5, 2006, 08:17 PM

DS is a fun system. innovative and different
iMac G5 20" 2.1 GHz Power Mac G4 Cube 450 MHz
my .mac

jjlannoo
Forum Regular
Jan 5, 2006, 08:17 PM

DS is a fun system. innovative and different
my .mac

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jan 5, 2006, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus
And "According to Some Canadian Fanboy" is supposed to be better? I think not.

I don't see why so many people are having such a hard time coming to grips with the fact that the PSP is a failure.
The PSP most definitely is not a failure. It's just not as much of a success as L'sLB makes it out to be.

Anyways, I wonder why Nintendo is so damn tight-lipped about the Revolution. Are they trying to get that pre-release hype going like Apple? If they are, then they're failing, because my impression is that people think they're tight-lipped because the hardware is so much lower end than the Xbox 360 or PS3.

P.S. I like the look of the PS3 controller, but I wonder if it's going to be comfortable.

Ham Sandwich
Jan 6, 2006, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
P.S. I like the look of the PS3 controller, but I wonder if it's going to be comfortable.

I am really, really, really hoping that they are not planning on releasing that painful looking controller. Trying to imagine using it, I can't see how you can stretch your fingers comfortably to the shoulder buttons as it would seem your hands wouldn't be able to reach them due to the shape of the controller. And what is it with the shape of the controller? I don't understand it at all - but, they may be taking the horrible ergonomics cue from their rectangle controller (the PSP).

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2006, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by screamingFit
I am really, really, really hoping that they are not planning on releasing that painful looking controller. Trying to imagine using it, I can't see how you can stretch your fingers comfortably to the shoulder buttons as it would seem your hands wouldn't be able to reach them due to the shape of the controller. And what is it with the shape of the controller? I don't understand it at all - but, they may be taking the horrible ergonomics cue from their rectangle controller (the PSP).
It COULD be sen as "innovative" by those who plan on using it to catch kangaroos ...oh just picture it....hundreds of proud PS3 owners flinging that thing towards their HDTVs lol...

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2006, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a
But oh well.... like ive said before, the two fanboys who keep dissing Nintendo can stuff it for all i care. Nintedo's doing fine, and Sony(PSP) and Microsoft(XB360) arent.
Nobody's "dissing Nintendo", we're trying to keep YOUR fanboys' reality in check. I love Nintendo just as much as anyone else, but I'm sick and tired of the bullsh*t lies you people spread. They did NOT invent the analog stick, they did NOT invent wireless controllers, they did NOT invent "two handed controllers" (whatever that means). The PSP is NOT a failure, you're just comparing it to the DS, being the rabid fanboy you are.

By the way, I got bored of Animal Crossing on the DS REAL fast. It's not the same game as the GC version, and I can't squint at the screen for more than 30 minutes at a time, and my hands cramp up, and what's the purpose of the second screen? Constellations at night? BFD.

It's funny how you say the PSP and 360 aren't doing fine, yet you completely neglect to mention that both Sony and MS bitchslapped the GC. You always seem to leave that part out.

Mike

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2006, 10:45 AM

lol...here we go. keeping us in check ? what are you talking about ?.....compare us Nintendo fans to the idiot to fabricates numbers to back his claim about the PSP. Now look at the big 3, and ask yourself, which one of them is the biggest videogame developer hardware and software combined ? both in unit hardware and software sales since it's entry into the industry.

As far as the Xbox "bitch slapping" the GCN....lets see...roughly a million lead over the GCN over a 5 year persio while sustaining a loss on EVERY UNIT EVER SOLD. seems like Microsoft took it up the arse to be able to compete inorder to gain an advantage of 1-2 million lol.

And if a 1-2 million lead is "bitch slapped" the PSPs must be in a coma when compared to the NDS seeing as how the NDS has well over a 3 million lead over PSP (assuming SONY managed to sell every PSP its manufactured), within a single year and while turning a profit in both hardware and software. lol. so yeah reality check..... Sony's latest console is lagging behing both it's competitors in the portable gaming arena.....the GBA and NDS and it's lagging well behind the iPod in the portable entertainment arena.

As far as the XBox...meh....... its performed worse than the original XBox while selling at a loss in the second biggest video game market. hows that for a reality check ?

So yeah....reality check. Microsoft gets shafted for a shitty consoles, Sony goes into a coma cause it got beat by much inferior hardware specs in the portable gaming arena and the iPod in the portable entertainment arena.

The GCN.....Nintendo crippled it from the start with bad marketing. it's still a great console with tonns of great games, and it still costs less than the XBox and turns a profit. thats efficient design.

So yeah....take ur reality checks and shove it. cause no one wants to know your polygon counts and teraflops when most of us just want to play video games at a reasonable price.

Back on topic now.....the Nintendo Revolution......

Ive been thinking, Nintendo should bundle in Mario128 with the NRS. it would be awesome. i mean Mario appeals to everyone, core gamers and newbies(such as myself). it would definately be a lot better than having just a demo on there, u know ? i reckon it would sell a lot more consoles to non gamers than just selling just the hardware imo.

Cheers

Dakar
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2006, 10:59 AM

I'm not a Ninetendo fanboy, but let's face it, they're much more profitable than Microsoft which only survived it foray into the market thanks to its deep pockets.

Since this generation, I've considered Nintendo the equivelent of the Apple of the gaming industry. They turn a profit off hardware sales, have a loyal fanbase, and are well-known for their first-party software/games.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2006, 11:58 AM

paul w
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2006, 12:06 PM

would it be inappropriate to mention how much I totally love my new psp I got for xmas? Grand Theft Auto baby, my goodness crack in handheld form.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2006, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by paul w

would it be inappropriate to mention how much I totally love my new psp I got for xmas? Grand Theft Auto baby, my goodness crack in handheld form.
omfgfanboylamepspsux

I've been rockin' out Mario Kart DS likes it's nobody's bidness. Good times. You owning a PSP, though? Yeah, we can't be friend anymore, sorry.

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 6, 2006, 01:46 PM

First, just like I said would happen, the revolution controller has already been copied for the PS2.
http://www.cnet.com/4831-11405_1-6412914.html?tag=ltst

Second. DS sales vs PSP has a new report on sales:
http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?op...=1960&Itemid=2

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 6, 2006, 01:54 PM

First, just like I said would happen, the revolution controller has already been copied for the PS2.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 6, 2006, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Leia's Left Bun

1: Did you read the article? It looks like the Rev controller, that's about it. It uses a laser pointer to track movement, and as the article said, it worked erratically at best. They can't use gyros because Nintendo has a patent on that.

2: The article misquotes it's own source. It's 10 million shipped compared to Nintendo's 13 million sold. Get it right. Look at the article it links to for 10 million "sold".
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2006, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by goMac
1: Did you read the article? It looks like the Rev controller, that's about it. It uses a laser pointer to track movement, and as the article said, it worked erratically at best. They can't use gyros because Nintendo has a patent on that.

2: The article misquotes it's own source. It's 10 million shipped compared to Nintendo's 13 million sold. Get it right. Look at the article it links to for 10 million "sold".
1. he also conveniently forgot to mention that the PS3 hack is a 2D pointer, while the NRS is a true 3D pointing device. (It's kinda like saying Windows3.1 is the same as MacOSX)

2. he still cant comprehend the difference between "shipped" and "sold". the article i linked above to gameindustry.biz clarifies the discrepency on some "news" sites regarding PSP numbers. Seeing as how Sony ALWAYS states numbers SHIPPED not SOLD.

dontb e fooled people, the PSP is nowhere near the NDS or GBA or iPod in market share, it's lagging well behind all it's competitors and thats just in the first year..... imagine the difference in 5.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Jan 7, 2006 at 12:08 PM. )

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2006, 12:06 PM

Ohfancy that an article on gameindustry.biz about 2005 and how the DS was the gaming industry's shining light despite what the fanboys and analysts said.

So shut your yapps about Nintendo fading into obscurity, they're doing just fine. Worry about Sony or the XBox unit if you have to worry about anything.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=13926

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2006, 06:56 PM

Just reading this is tiring.

I think that both the DS and the PSP have a lack of great games. There are some really good ones, but both systems are struggling to come up with 5 or more great games.

I've played both, but own neither. I love the PSP's screen, but I wish it had Castlevania games. The dual screens for DS seem somewhat gimmicky, but also kind of cool. I'm not so crazy about the "analog stick" for PSP, but the d-button for DS is getting old.

Too many complaints from me. This is why I haven't spent the money on them.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2006, 09:45 PM

So lets talk Revolution eh ? i mean the topic is about the NRS to begin with, that was until a couple of nutcases hijacked it to promote their fanboyism.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2006, 10:08 PM

Products that were quickly discontinued after release.

Like:
Rob the robot
Virtual Boy
PowerGlove
Light Gun
Non-backlite GBA
Dance pad

"Revolutionary" Products that nobody touched:
GameCube Network adapter (One game used it)
GBA to GameCube link
N64's DD Drive (that zip drive thing that had ONE game)
The "Expansion port" on the bottom of the SNES that promised an upcoming CD-ROM drive (became playstation)
All but one of those are peripherals, not main systems.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2006, 10:12 PM

For the record, I think I might get a GameCube, sure the current generation of systems might not have had enough great games, but this system plus every other Nintendo System certainly has had enough good games.

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2006, 01:22 PM

Here is a good look at the new controller. In the end it seems like it is for your little sister who when playing any game waves it around to jump.

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?op...=1980&Itemid=2

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2006, 02:35 PM

Leia's Left Bun...

Thank you for showing me that article. This thread had already gotten me very interested in the Revolution controller, and I've been reading many articles over the past few days (almost all of them praising the willingness of Nintendo to try this concept out). I think that this one is the best.

The Revolution idea is starting to grow on me. The ability to buy old NES/SNES/N64 games as well as play Gamecube games is VERY appealing to me. Maybe they'll include a way to download GBA and DS games onto the Rev (wishful thinking)?

But one of the biggest draws to me is Nintendo's promise that this is going to be the most affordable Next Gen system. I'm getting married in April, and I don't want to spend $400 on an XBox 360. I don't even want to spend $300 for the basic configuration. I'd rather play beloved classic games and fun, innovative (if not somewhat cutesy) games like Animal Crossing and Zelda than to spend $400 for primarily one game (Halo 3).

Mulling...

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2006, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54
The Revolution idea is starting to grow on me. The ability to buy old NES/SNES/N64 games as well as play Gamecube games is VERY appealing to me. Maybe they'll include a way to download GBA and DS games onto the Rev (wishful thinking)?
Mulling...
You can do that now by the way. Get an N64 or SNES off ebay for $20.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2006, 03:20 PM

True, but I'd rather not have several systems laying around my living room. I'd much rather have it all encased in a pretty little Revolution. Also, not having to bother with eBay or a resale shop is a big plus. Just download the stupid things and forget searching for them.

tomasboudr
Jan 9, 2006, 04:07 PM

you guys are missing the human interface design choice that was made for the NGC controller, the Z button is on the right side because a majroity of people are right handed, and only in their right hand do they initially have enough dexterity to use both fingers for independant buttons. You hard core gamer guys are not their target market, its a more casual gamer. This is why their machines don't ever have the highest specs etc. I won't directly compare them to Apple but I think there is a fairly prominent parallel in their appeal to smaller more creative and less typical markets and the general continentment that both conmpanies have with that.
Old Skool ~ 3rd Gen iPod
New Skool ~ White MacBook 2Ghz

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2006, 04:23 PM

Does anyone else find it funny that in SWG's attempt to diss on the Revolution he managed to convince someone else that it is a good idea?

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2006, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by goMac
Does anyone else find it funny that in SWG's attempt to diss on the Revolution he managed to convince someone else that it is a good idea?
I'm still trying to decipher what you're saying here.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2006, 05:10 PM

I'm still trying to decipher what you're saying here.
SWG posted a link to try and discredit the Revolution's controller.

The only thing it did was convince someone else the Revolution's controller was a good idea.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2006, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by tomasboudr
you guys are missing the human interface design choice that was made for the NGC controller, the Z button is on the right side because a majroity of people are right handed, and only in their right hand do they initially have enough dexterity to use both fingers for independant buttons. You hard core gamer guys are not their target market, its a more casual gamer. This is why their machines don't ever have the highest specs etc. I won't directly compare them to Apple but I think there is a fairly prominent parallel in their appeal to smaller more creative and less typical markets and the general continentment that both conmpanies have with that.
Thats my opinion as well.

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 13, 2006, 02:37 AM

"The day that DS fanboys have dreaded is finally here. The PSP has trumped Nintendo's dual-screen portable in total units sold over the past week in Japan (Jan 2 - 8). This marks the first time since April of '05 that the PSP has outsold the DS. However, Nintendo reported that the DS sold out in Japan on the 5th, thereby halting its sales during the rest of the reported cycle."

http://joystiq.com/2006/01/13/psp-tops-ds-in-japan/

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2006, 04:14 AM

"The day that DS fanboys have dreaded is finally here. The PSP has trumped Nintendo's dual-screen portable in total units sold over the past week in Japan (Jan 2 - 8). This marks the first time since April of '05 that the PSP has outsold the DS. However, Nintendo reported that the DS sold out in Japan on the 5th, thereby halting its sales during the rest of the reported cycle."

How is this related to the Revolution?

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2006, 10:04 AM

Wait for it....

Wait for it....

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jan 13, 2006, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Jim Paradise
How is this related to the Revolution?
It is the grownup equivalent to a "your momma's so fat" joke from our elementary school days, back when those jokes were serious business and we thought we cared.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2006, 11:12 AM

Wait for it....

Wait for it....

lol i agree, it's kinda funny that someone points out that a competing product is selling 'better' when the competition has actually completely sold out...... across the second largest video game market. I guess he didnt stop to think that it actually credits the NDS as opposed to his beloved, but failing PSP. lol
I guess having 8/10 top titles in that market on Nintendo consoles means nothing. And 6/10 being on the NDS. oh well..... poor poor sony fanboy....no one cares what you think.

Oh well... i didnt want to respond to it, but seeing as how ppl take notice of this fanboy i figured i might as well respond.

Back to the most anticipated Nintendo console.....

Anyone hear anything about the NRS hitting production lines ?

Cheers

babble
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2006, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54
Just reading this is tiring.

I think that both the DS and the PSP have a lack of great games. There are some really good ones, but both systems are struggling to come up with 5 or more great games.

I've played both, but own neither. I love the PSP's screen, but I wish it had Castlevania games. The dual screens for DS seem somewhat gimmicky, but also kind of cool. I'm not so crazy about the "analog stick" for PSP, but the d-button for DS is getting old.

Too many complaints from me. This is why I haven't spent the money on them.

Hum, I don't want to add fuel to the PSP vs DS war going on, but you're not able to find 5 great games per unit? I could name 5 must have titles right on the DS, I don't have the PSP so I don't know exacly what's out...

I'm waiting for FPS to come out on the DS... The little Metroid Hunter demo got me hooked from the start.

jjlannoo
Forum Regular
Jan 13, 2006, 10:24 PM

Portable gaming consoles? Try Mattell....or didn't you ever hear of them either? Or Coleco? Or any other gazillion PRE-NINTENDO consoles.

Mike
Agreed the vectrex was very portable and had analog controllers. Here's me enjoying mine or looking crazy...you pick

my .mac

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2006, 10:47 PM

I think some of the biggest potential the ds has is voice over ip its truly the thing missing from any game console with the exception of the xbox.

Ham Sandwich
Jan 14, 2006, 01:57 AM

[QUOTE=jjlannoo]Agreed the vectrex was very portable and had analog controllers. Here's me enjoying mine or looking crazy...you pick

Dude, I am so jealous of that rig! Really!!

jjlannoo
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2006, 02:12 AM

[QUOTE=screamingFit]
Originally Posted by jjlannoo
Agreed the vectrex was very portable and had analog controllers. Here's me enjoying mine or looking crazy...you pick

Dude, I am so jealous of that rig! Really!!

Buy one off ebay, They are listed often
my .mac

Forum Links
Forum Rules