Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Is there a half-decent launcher app?

Is there a half-decent launcher app?
Trapper
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2006, 04:58 AM

I’m trying to find a particular application - a launcher for files, folders, and applications, but I’m having a lot of trouble finding one that is even close to having the features I want. I’ve tried Spotlight, LaunchBar, even QuickSilver, which, I thought might be good due to its hype, but they all sort of suck. I’m especially underwhelmed by QuickSilver. Here’s what I want: First, I particularly DON’T want an icon in the dock or menu bar. I’m trying to cut down on clutter – that’s the whole point of the launcher for me. Instead, I want to be able to access the launcher through a hot-key combo. QuickSilver is fine for that. But the next feature is where all of the programs that I have tried so far have failed: I want the program to let me assign files, folders or applications to certain key combinations. For instance, I want to be able to launch LimeWire by typing in “li”. So far, so good. All of the programs mentioned so far will do this. However, I occasionally want to access my LimeWire folder, so I’d like to be able to type ‘lf” and have my LimeWire folder open up. None of these programs seem to be able to allow me to do this. Are there any launcher programs out there that will both i) let me assign whatever action I want to whatever key-combo I want, and ii) will not display an icon in the menu bar or dock. It seems odd to me that QuickSilver won’t let me assign whatever action I want to whatever key-combo I want, as this seems like an obvious and desirable feature. Perhaps it does allow for this, but I’ll be damned if I can figure out how. I’d rtfm, but there really is very little documentation to speak of. And what’s available is poorly written and cursory at best. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

jmgriff
Feb 26, 2006, 08:25 AM

Quicksilver has a "make default" command. You use it to assign a specific letter combination to a specific object in the catalog. Enter your chosen abbreviation, then in the search results list, right-click on the dot next to the entry you want, and choose "make default".

This doesn't do what you want?

If you don't want the MenuExtra or dock icon, you can turn them off via preferences.

[Edit: besides, most of these launcher apps are adaptive - with use they should learn the combinations you use for specific files, folders, apps]

Franz
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2006, 08:33 AM

In the QuickSilver preferences, change "Enable Advanced features" to Beta (you might need to also change the updates to Development versions - this has all the features). This will give you a "Triggers" menu where you can assign stuff to certain key combinations.

And check the "Hide menu bar and dock icon" button to disable that too.

RevEvs
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2006, 09:35 AM

Yep Quicksilver does what you want - it just has to be configured.

oh and for future reference - paragraphs please
I free'd my mind... now it won't come back.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2006, 12:59 PM

LaunchBar will also do what you want. How long did you try out these programs?

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

bbales
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2006, 01:02 PM

I use both Launchbar and QuicKeys. QuicKeys is pretty expensive, but it might have what you want/need. It does put an icon in the menubar, but I BELIEVE there's an opt-out of that. Wouldn't swear to it, though.

Trapper  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 26, 2006, 05:14 PM

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I did try to figure out the triggers option in Quicksilver. I type in LF for limewire folder, and it doesn't even give me th option of choosing the limewire folder as a default. To lavar78: I guess I didn't try out LaunchBar long enough; can you tell me how to use it without having the icon in the dock? Thanks.

philm
Mac Elite
Feb 26, 2006, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I did try to figure out the triggers option in Quicksilver. I type in LF for limewire folder, and it doesn't even give me th option of choosing the limewire folder as a default. To lavar78: I guess I didn't try out LaunchBar long enough; can you tell me how to use it without having the icon in the dock? Thanks.
You can read how to do this in the 'Tips and Tricks' section of Launchbar's help. There are a bunch of notes and caveats, so it's too long to post here.

Of course, if you are using a launcher then you have little need to access your dock anyway presumably, so why not just hide the dock.

Forum Links
Forum Rules