Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Help-Airport Basestation stoppped transmitting.

Help-Airport Basestation stoppped transmitting.
Nelsun
Mar 26, 2006, 10:08 PM

I have an Airport Base Station from 2000 IIRC, the white conical one. The problem is that I get no signal on my Powerbooks from it. I can get a signal from a neighbor's Linksys and go on the web through that. But on my Powerbooks, I see the antenna strength meter on the top bar as greyed out. When I first connected to it this morning from a Pismo Powerbook, it started the connection, the antenna meter showed a few bars and the elapsed time of connection started to show up, and then it lost the connection. I then tried to reset the Airport first by un plugging the power. That didn't work, so I tried the reset from the AirPort Admin utility. That didn't work. Then a buddy suggested I try Macstumbler to look for Wi-Fi signals. I very briefly found my Airport, but then it quickly went away. The neighbors Linksys showed too. I then tried my 17" Powerbook and it only saw my neighbor's Linksys, but not my Airport.

I have used it successfully all this time till today. The current set up has a DSL modem wired to the Airport Base Station, then from the Basestation is connected to a G5 2.7 Dualie OS 10.4.3. As is, I can still access the internet since the Airport has a hard wire connection to the LAN port on the G5.

The only conclusion I have is that the Basestation's internal Airport card has stopped working.

Any ideas? Thanks!

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 26, 2006, 10:19 PM

Are the lights on the ABS doing anything interesting or odd? It really does sound like it's bit the dust.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Nelsun  (op)
Mar 26, 2006, 11:18 PM

The ABS center light is on all the time and whenever there's activity like loading a new webpage, the right light flashes faster and slows down when it's idle. The left side does not appear to be lighting up, now that you mention it. A quick look in the manual and it explains the left light indicates communication via Airport and the right light is via ethernet.

Looks like as you said, the airport has bit the dust. Pity.

Thanks for that clue to check the lights!

Forum Links
Forum Rules