Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > macbook bought first week, dead logic board

macbook bought first week, dead logic board
tomasboudr
Jul 5, 2006, 06:25 PM

I bought a macbook the first week they came out. The superdrive equiped white one and upgraded the ram to 2gb. It ran hotter than most people's who have recently recieved theirs according to this forum but seemed ok. The other morning when I woke up it wouldn't do anything when you turned it on other than display a black screen and a solid power light (near the IR port). So to the apple store I went. The genius bar employee swaped back the original ram to no avail and sent it out for a logic board replacement.

Do you guys think I was a victim of the heat? I didn't even use the machine that much as I travel every week for work and have a PC laptop I have to use for that.

He said he has seen a few of these. Either way it will feel good to get back a Macbook not from the initial production run.
Old Skool ~ 3rd Gen iPod
New Skool ~ White MacBook 2Ghz

kev01
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2006, 04:42 PM

whoa tomas, i wished i had googled this earlier..

but i had the exact same symptom last weekend and brought it in for apple repair last night..
and today they called back and said it had to be sent for a logic board replacement

before that, i had trieed the power cylcing troubleshooting over the phone with an apple rep

i had a week 22 macbook

and mine ran hot i guess, but i didnt do anything out of the ordinary the night before it didn't start up again

HarriganC
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2006, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by kev01
whoa tomas, i wished i had googled this earlier..

but i had the exact same symptom last weekend and brought it in for apple repair last night..
and today they called back and said it had to be sent for a logic board replacement

before that, i had trieed the power cylcing troubleshooting over the phone with an apple rep

i had a week 22 macbook

and mine ran hot i guess, but i didnt do anything out of the ordinary the night before it didn't start up again
My week 20 blackbook that I purchased the week they were released went in last Wednesday for the random shutdown/ colored vertical line problem, since it was in, I also had them look into why the superdrive was scratching disks. Came back with a new logic board, and a new optical drive. Seems to be fixed.

foodog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 20, 2006, 04:21 PM

I brought mine in on July 4th.... it is listed as waiting for parts still. Did you get yours back already? IF so how long did it take for them to fix it?

Originally Posted by tomasboudr
I bought a macbook the first week they came out. The superdrive equiped white one and upgraded the ram to 2gb. It ran hotter than most people's who have recently recieved theirs according to this forum but seemed ok. The other morning when I woke up it wouldn't do anything when you turned it on other than display a black screen and a solid power light (near the IR port). So to the apple store I went. The genius bar employee swaped back the original ram to no avail and sent it out for a logic board replacement.

Do you guys think I was a victim of the heat? I didn't even use the machine that much as I travel every week for work and have a PC laptop I have to use for that.

He said he has seen a few of these. Either way it will feel good to get back a Macbook not from the initial production run.

kev01
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 25, 2006, 02:25 PM

just got mine back today (took a week to do)

they narowed it down to replacing the logic board earlier, and it took a week for apple to ship out the order of a new logic board, (apparently it was out of stock last week) , they said it arrived yesterday, installed it this morning and got it back to me..

i'm running through my machine again and holy cow!

there's NO more whining/moo'ing!!!!

and it doesnt get HOT! idling right now at 30-40deg C!

it used to idle at 60+ degC when just booting up!

does anyone know how to check the logic board # ?

w.jeffrey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2006, 09:55 PM

i was using my black macbook 2.0ghz, 2gigs of ram sunday night at a friend's house. i turned it off, brought it home and then it wouldn't boot back up. only the white power light was on :-\. i brought it into the apple store telling them i thought there was a logic board failure so they took it. before i gave it to them though, i switched my 2 gigs of 3rd party ram back with the original 2x256mb ram it came with.

they called me today saying they found a problem in the ram (wtf) and that it booted fine. they tested it a few more times and then said it just booted into a grey screen and there was a problem with the logic board, and they sent it back out for repairs. now i won't get it back until saturday at the earliest. :-\

macbook was a month old.

oh well

Forum Links
Forum Rules