Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > two ethernet ports?

two ethernet ports?
edge.it
Forum Regular
May 15, 2007, 02:17 PM

why does the new mac pro have two ports. i know im a noob, but i cant think of many scenarios to why you would want two ports. besides hiding computers on networks, but in a home network envio. i cant think of many

macpro 2.66 | 4GB | 7 TB
macbook pro 2.4i5 | 4GB | 500GB 7200rpm
technic 1210 M5G

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2007, 02:22 PM

You might want to be connected to two networks, or you might want to use both of them at the same time to get mad bandwidth. You might want to be connected to a network and to a network connected printer, scanner etc. You can also do funky network things with them that I don't understand.

OreoCookie
May 15, 2007, 02:46 PM

You could use your Mac Pro as a router that connects two networks, for instance. There are a few uses for two NICs and for people who don't need two, where's the harm?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Sub
Dedicated MacNNer
May 15, 2007, 03:01 PM

It was standard on the final release of the G5 too.

edge.it  (op)
Forum Regular
May 15, 2007, 03:30 PM

i know i agree there is no harm. actually it just intrigued me alot so i was hoping people could give some uses so i can play around with em.

macpro 2.66 | 4GB | 7 TB
macbook pro 2.4i5 | 4GB | 500GB 7200rpm
technic 1210 M5G

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 15, 2007, 03:38 PM

it's not a feature many will use, but some will.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

King Chung Huang
Mac Enthusiast
May 15, 2007, 03:57 PM

It's also useful for Xsan, having a whole separate network for metadata.

Joe West
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2007, 06:26 PM

I run OSX server and actually use 4 ethernet ports... the two built in to my Mac Pro and two more on a pcie Greentree Communications card. One port runs my mail server, another my web server, a third ties to my work Intranet via tunneling VPN, and the fourth ties to my home intranet.

Joe

homgran
May 17, 2007, 06:34 AM

My office at work has two wired access points for the network. Both ethernet wall sockets are in use by the two office workstations (a Dell for my office mate and a Quad-core G5 for me).

The thing is, I like to keep all *all* of my data on my old 1GHz PowerBook - and I only use the G5 for running simulations (four executing at any given time, the rest queued). Since the IT admin insists that workstations remain connected to the network at all times, this leaves me with the little problem of accessing both the internet and the local area network from my PowerBook.

While internet sharing through wireless via the G5 is an option, it's not ideal since my PowerBook only has 802.11b and I need to shuffle around large data files on a regular basis. So instead I use the second ethernet port on the G5 - and it works a treat!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2007, 09:41 AM

If you have two ports, you can set the Pro up as a network gateway. Plug your modem into port one, then your network into port two. Allows you to use the Pro to run firewall, NAT, etc etc.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2007, 09:58 AM

It's a common feature of servers too for the purpose of pure redundancy, in case a NIC goes bad.

CIA
Mac Elite
May 21, 2007, 12:01 PM

Where I work has a internal network and internet connection for the office, and a free (rarely used) wireless network for the building. Our internal networks internet connection is always clogged, but I need access to the servers on that network.
So I hardwired into the "Wireless" network for my internet (I have access to the routers) and also hardwired into our internal network for server access. Boom, fast internet and still have access to work stuff.
Work: 2008 8x3.2 MacPro, 8800GT, 16GB ram, zillions of HDs. (video editing)
Home: 2008 24" 2.8 iMac, 2TB Int, 4GB ram.
Road: 2009 13" 2.26 Macbook Pro, 8GB ram & 640GB WD blue internal
Retired to BOINC only: My trusty never-gonna-die 12" iBook G4 1.25

rbennett5
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2007, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Joe West View Post
I run OSX server and actually use 4 ethernet ports... the two built in to my Mac Pro and two more on a pcie Greentree Communications card. One port runs my mail server, another my web server, a third ties to my work Intranet via tunneling VPN, and the fourth ties to my home intranet.

Joe
Where can I get one of those pcie Greentree Communications cards? The mac pro nic's are incompatible with my network.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2007, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by rbennett5 View Post
The mac pro nic's are incompatible with my network.
How? Why? What?!?

OreoCookie
Jun 1, 2007, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by rbennett5 View Post
Where can I get one of those pcie Greentree Communications cards? The mac pro nic's are incompatible with my network.
No, that's incorrect. They are standard Gigabit ethernet cards. If you can't connect to your network, something is wrong with the network.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

rbennett5
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 4, 2007, 01:51 PM

Ok. Full and complete story:

I'm the IT guy for a department of about 500 in a company over 50,000. Network infrastructure is controlled by the network department of which I'm not part of. I have the following machines allocated to me:

Mac Pro - Purchased 11/06 as my main desktop and primary workhorse (quad core)
MacBook Pro - 15" Purchased 5/07 as my main laptop
Mac Mini - 166ghz Purchased 5/07 as a test machine
Dell Inspiron 6400 - Purchased this year as a test machine for OS's (currently running XP)
Dell PowerEdge SC1420 - Purchase data unknown, primary test server
IBM Thinkpad R51 - Purchase date unknown, loaner laptop

I have two data ports at my desk both attached to the same network switch of which all I know is it's a 10/100 cisco. Every single one of the machines above will connect to this switch on either wall port at 100 full duplex except my mac pro. It only connects at half duplex using either nic. If I force it to 10 or 100, full or full with flow control, I do not get an IP address from the dhcp server. Obviously I thought there was something wrong with the mac pro so the first thing I did was put in a fresh drive and reinstall OSX. That didn't make any difference, so I called Apple. After ninety minutes on the phone with them and no luck, they had me plug my mac pro directly into my macbook pro using a straight through cable (which I didn't even know was possible, I would have thought I'd need a crossover cable) and it connects and communicates at 100 full and 1000 full (obviously gigabit doesn't do half). Thus they concluded that the problem is the switch and not my mac pro. Since I can connect full with five other machines using the same cable, networking insists it's a problem with the mac. There's only one switch in this department to connect to but I am considering taking it to another building to see what happens, I just haven't had time.

So here I am, needing to transfer large video files back and forth between the live server and my mac pro but I'm forced to use a firewire drive to do it.

Other than putting a new NIC in my mac pro, I'm out of ideas and open to trying anything.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2007, 01:57 PM

Try another switch?

Forum Links
Forum Rules