Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod Touch new Maps App

iPod Touch new Maps App
magicbumone
Jan 22, 2008, 08:28 PM

So this new Map application for the Touch is really cool. Has anyone been able to use it much and can tell me if it works like advertised. Will it pin point my location even if im not connected to wifi? How fast does it work and are there any problems you experienced. Thanks

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2008, 09:40 PM

You must be connected to WiFi.

EmericanPatriot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2008, 02:34 AM

I've tried it several times on different locations and on about half a dozen different WiFi hotspots and only been able to get it to work once...

QueenOfSwords
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2008, 08:31 AM

Only useful somewhere with a lot of free wifi.

Google Maps - "You are at a Starbucks on the corner of Wabash and Lake"

/Me looks at counter, with barista and Starbucks logos. "Really?"

You really do need an iPhone to take advantage of it. If you can find wifi, you can probably work out where you are.

Kholinar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2008, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by QueenOfSwords View Post
Only useful somewhere with a lot of free wifi.

You really do need an iPhone to take advantage of it. If you can find wifi, you can probably work out where you are.
My experience has been that it generally works fine on my Touch while connected to one wifi hotspot with 2 to 3 others (free or non-free) around.

It also works sometimes when not connected, if I'm within 1 or 2 miles of where I last used the map app. I'm guessing that it loads a certain amount of location data and can still search that data to find location as a result. Again, you generally have to be within range of 2 to 3 locked access points.

So I'd agree that the iphone would be superior, but the Touch is certainly very apt if there are a reasonable amount of access points around. In the Kansas City area and it's suburbs it's worked great so far, and we're not exactly a huge metro...

PaperNotes
Jan 24, 2008, 12:28 PM

My location can't be found but no prob. I know where I am.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2008, 07:04 AM

It works very well in hong kong, I guess we have a few overlapping wifi networks here.

Forum Links
Forum Rules