Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Quicksilver G4 VGA adapter?

Quicksilver G4 VGA adapter?
SeaKayaker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2008, 11:56 PM

I have an old Quicksilver G4 that I want to re-purpose.

It's been in storage for a year or so.

When I connect the video card to a VGA monitor using the VGA port, I don't get any image. When I researched this I found that I need a VGA adapter (presumably the video card VGA pinout was unique to Apple and one needed to have an adapter to connect to a non-Apple VGA monitor ).

According to the Apple knowledgebase, there is a 922-3764 adapter that is needed to connect the Quicksilver video card VGA port to a non-Apple VGA monitor. I presumable had that when the system was previously operational. But I must have misplaced it when I put the machine is storage.

Apple does not sell the adapter at this point. Anybody have a suggestion on where I can get one?

The only other port on the video card is an Apple ADC port which also appears to be obsolete (I thought there might be a ADCtoVGA adapter but no luck there.).

--SeaKayaker

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 2, 2008, 01:30 PM

No, that adapter is to connect old Apple monitors (with their DB15 connector) to the standard VGA port on the back of your Power Mac. No adapter is needed to connect a VGA display, as your Power Mac uses a plain vanilla VGA port.

If you're not getting an image, it's probably because of a dead PRAM battery in the system.

SeaKayaker  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2008, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by tooki View Post
No, that adapter is to connect old Apple monitors (with their DB15 connector) to the standard VGA port on the back of your Power Mac. No adapter is needed to connect a VGA display, as your Power Mac uses a plain vanilla VGA port.

If you're not getting an image, it's probably because of a dead PRAM battery in the system.
Thank you... That makes sense.

Since the unit was in storage and unplugged the PRAM battery may well have run down. (Is that a rechargeable battery?)

(Also, it explains why I couldn't find the adapter... I do lose things but not, usually, something like that.)

I'll try replacing the battery and see if that makes things better.

Thanks again... --SeaKayaker

Northeastern292
Forum Regular
Dec 2, 2008, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by SeaKayaker View Post
Thank you... That makes sense.

Since the unit was in storage and unplugged the PRAM battery may well have run down. (Is that a rechargeable battery?)

(Also, it explains why I couldn't find the adapter... I do lose things but not, usually, something like that.)

I'll try replacing the battery and see if that makes things better.

Thanks again... --SeaKayaker
The PRAM battery is not rechargeable (and I doubt that it's set up to be, or if there is even a 3.6v battery like the Power Mac batteries that are rechargeable.
The Mac Collection:

Power Mac G4 Sawtooth at 450MHz, Power Mac G4 Gigabit Ethernet at 400MHz, three Power Mac FW800's at 1.0GHz, MacBook Pro at 2.0GHz, my late father's G3 iMac at 350MHz, an iMac at 500MHz, a PowerBook G4 (12-inch VGA) and a PowerBook 170

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2008, 10:57 PM

If you can't find an ADC-VGA adaptor (try ebay) you can still get ADC to DVI & a DVI to VGA. It'd be unweildy, but it'll work, if you want to use the ADC port.

You're sure it's just the display not getting a signal? Have you tried booting from an install CD to make sure your system on your hard drive isn't borked? Or booting into open firmware? (just tossing things at the wall to see what might stick)

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 2, 2008, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by chris v View Post
If you can't find an ADC-VGA adaptor (try ebay) you can still get ADC to DVI & a DVI to VGA. It'd be unweildy, but it'll work, if you want to use the ADC port.
Nope, won't work. The ADC->DVI adapters are, specifically, ADC->DVI-D (digital, no analog). A DVI->VGA (technically a DVI-I ->VGA) adapter won't even plug in.

Just use an ADC->VGA adapter if you need to use an ADC port for VGA.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2008, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by tooki View Post
Nope, won't work. The ADC->DVI adapters are, specifically, ADC->DVI-D (digital, no analog). A DVI->VGA (technically a DVI-I ->VGA) adapter won't even plug in.

Just use an ADC->VGA adapter if you need to use an ADC port for VGA.
Huh. I thought I'd done it once, long ago. Well, I've got a couple of old ADC- VGA adaptors in my garage, it if turns out anyone wants one.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 4, 2008, 10:55 AM

I suppose it might work if the ADC->DVI adapter were an ADC->DVI-I adapter, but I've never seen that. Apple shipped separate adapters to DVI-D and VGA, but maybe a third party made an adapter to DVI-I.

Forum Links
Forum Rules