Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook G4 Won't Boot

iBook G4 Won't Boot
Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2009, 04:40 PM

Hi,

I recently updated my brothers iBook with the latest updates. It's similar to mine but has a 1.33 processor, Radeon 9550, and a 40 GB HD. Well, these updates included iTunes 8.1, a new version of Safari, Java update 8 and the most recent security updates. When restarting, it froze at the place with the grey apple and the spinning circle. It won't go any furher. Any ideas on what's going on here?
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 20, 2009, 04:49 PM

Is it stuck at the spinning circle with the circle still moving, or did the circle itself freeze?

You'll probably want to access the bad iBook's hard drive through either Firewire Target Disk Mode or by booting from an OS X install CD and run Disk Utility on it - repair the volume and the permissions. See if that helps.

I've seen a few Macs freeze at startup with the circle still spinning, turns out they had bad hard drives. Hopefully that's not your problem.

Mac User #001  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2009, 04:59 PM

Circle still spins. I've tried resetting the PRAM, PMU, and NVRAM all with no luck.

I'll try the disks when we get home, but I really do hope it's not a bad harddrive.

I just read my post above which was written on my touch and I see I made a spelling error or two in there. Whoops.

amazing
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2009, 02:25 AM

what version MacOS were you upgrading from?

the other thing you can try is running safe boot (holding down the shift key during bootup, for quite a long time, until the login dialogue come up) and/or fsck (holding down the apple/command & letter "s" key during bootup, until the black screen with scrolling white text comes up. When the white text presents you with the option to run fsck, just type

fsck -fy

and hit return. Keep running it until it says OK, then type

reboot

and hit return. Hopefully that'll work.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 21, 2009, 02:41 AM

We've seen a rash of 'no boot after updates' with the last security update. Unfortunately, the only cure has been an archive/install.

Mac User #001  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2009, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
what version MacOS were you upgrading from?

the other thing you can try is running safe boot (holding down the shift key during bootup, for quite a long time, until the login dialogue come up) and/or fsck (holding down the apple/command & letter "s" key during bootup, until the black screen with scrolling white text comes up. When the white text presents you with the option to run fsck, just type

fsck -fy

and hit return. Keep running it until it says OK, then type

reboot

and hit return. Hopefully that'll work.
Tried safe boot, tried single user mode. It reports that the Macintosh HD is okay, but still won't boot.

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
We've seen a rash of 'no boot after updates' with the last security update. Unfortunately, the only cure has been an archive/install.
And how would that be achieved without the install discs? Yeah, I know. Apparently he has install discs, but they're to someones iBook he no longer knows, and that person must have his install discs.

So, needless to say, I haven't been able to use Disk Utility or the Apple Hardware Test yet.

I've talked to him and he'd be willing to do a reboot as long as we did Target Disk Mode first and got a few things off.

I remember reading somewhere that Apple will replace your install discs if you call them up and provide your serial number, but that it's either $20 or $60 (the guys were conflicting over how much it was). True?

Mac User #001  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2009, 01:17 PM

All is well. I used his Tiger retail install disc to do the Archive & Install.

I'm sure not having those discs will bite him some day down the line, but today he got lucky.

EDIT: Thanks for the help, guys!

Northeastern292
Forum Regular
Mar 22, 2009, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mac User #001 View Post
All is well. I used his Tiger retail install disc to do the Archive & Install.

I'm sure not having those discs will bite him some day down the line, but today he got lucky.

EDIT: Thanks for the help, guys!
I had that same problem recently on my PowerBook G4. However, on that machine, the hard drive definitely needed to be replaced.
The Mac Collection:

Power Mac G4 Sawtooth at 450MHz, Power Mac G4 Gigabit Ethernet at 400MHz, three Power Mac FW800's at 1.0GHz, MacBook Pro at 2.0GHz, my late father's G3 iMac at 350MHz, an iMac at 500MHz, a PowerBook G4 (12-inch VGA) and a PowerBook 170

Mac User #001  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2009, 08:34 PM

Aww that sucks.

Interesting thing just happened. My brother just told me that Apple just called him and apologized to him for the Security Update killing his machine. I guess they knew from the setup utility that launched when he first logged in. Odd, but nice of them.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 23, 2009, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mac User #001 View Post
Aww that sucks.

Interesting thing just happened. My brother just told me that Apple just called him and apologized to him for the Security Update killing his machine. I guess they knew from the setup utility that launched when he first logged in. Odd, but nice of them.
Wow, that's really weird.

Forum Links
Forum Rules