Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > video card dying/overheating?

video card dying/overheating?
mr. burns
Senior User
Jul 1, 2009, 12:31 AM

i think my x1900xt is on it's last legs. when in safari or photoshop, i'll often get these multicolored bands across the window. obviously they won't show up in a screenshot so i took a pic of my monitor. it's hard to see but they're green and red dots, primarily, one pixel in height. they go across the width of the window but not the whole screen. they'll show up on a loaded webpage and move with the content when i scroll up and down.

is this a sign of overheating?

not all who wander are lost.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 1, 2009, 02:01 AM

Most likely so. That matches the symptoms I experienced when my G5's 9800XT's fan could no longer move because I let it get too dusty.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 8, 2009, 02:47 AM

And ditto my X1900XT when it died. Twice

bearcatrp
Senior User
Jul 8, 2009, 11:22 AM

Have you cleaned the dust bunnies out lately? Looks like its going but clean 1st before deciding on replacement. The newer cards out now look great but a bit pricey.
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

mr. burns  (op)
Senior User
Jul 9, 2009, 03:30 PM

yea, i've been good about keeping the dust out. it's pretty clean, but i remember reading about these cards having a lot of heat issues and many people having to get them replaced. i'm to the point where if i want to play any kind of 3d game, i have to open the case and blow a fan in there to keep it from getting too hot and tweaking out the graphics.

looking to replace it with a PC radeon 4890.

not all who wander are lost.

Mac Write
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2009, 10:38 PM

I also have it and now have a "OmniFocus" reminder for quarterly cleaning out, First time took me a few months to figure out the problem. I have AppleCare and have 10 months left on it (think I will book a full checkup for my Mac Pro next March).
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

Forum Links
Forum Rules