Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Airport Extreme WAN-LAN throughput?

Airport Extreme WAN-LAN throughput?
moep
Senior User
Nov 26, 2009, 04:50 AM

I’m moving to a new apartment soon and need a new router since my old one will stay here.
The new Airport Extreme looks decent but I’m a bit worried about its throughput since the connection is going to be a 100 Mbit/s FTTH line. An old review from 2007 states that the Airport Extreme tops out at ~34 Mbit/s WAN <-> LAN with NAT enabled.

Does anyone know if the current AE model is faster than that?
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

moep  (op)
Senior User
Nov 26, 2009, 05:10 AM

Answered my own question with this review.
The newest model (MC340LL/A) has a 1.2 Ghz ARM CPU and does up to 419.5 Mbit/s WAN to LAN.
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

Simon
Posting Junkie
Nov 26, 2009, 05:29 AM

That old review must be somehow bogus. I have the very first version of the AP Extreme base station and I regularly see WAN-LAN connections beyond 34Mbps even with NAT enabled. I have a ~160 Mbps fiber connection on the WAN side and I can pretty much saturate the APX's 100 Mbps Ethernet to a LAN client. Your second link indicates ~132 Mbps WAN-LAN routing on the original APX and that's in line with what I see on mine. In reality it's going to be limited by the Fast Ethernet LAN ports anyway though. On the APX model in between (Gigabit, but not dual-band) I guess you could try to actually measure those 132 Mbps.

Forum Links
Forum Rules