Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PB Memory - Buy from Apple or from somewhere else?

PB Memory - Buy from Apple or from somewhere else?
Cloud
Nov 30, 2005, 02:08 PM

I'm going to be buying my first Apple (Powerbook) in February. Would it be wise to upgrade the 15" PB with the stock (512MB PC2-4200 DDR2 - 1 SO-DIMM) to 2GB PC2-4200 DDR2 - 2x1GB SO-DIMMs for $600 CDN?

Or should I buy the 15" PB with the default memory and purchase the 2GB upgrade somewhere else? Am I saving any money by doing so?

Is it hard to install? Can I do it myself?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2005, 02:21 PM

Buy it elsewhere and save money. It's not hard to do. You can do it yourself.

I like Crucial (guaranteed compatibility, lifetime warranty); they have it for $257USD. They're happy to ship to Canada, although you may not get free 2nd day shipping like we do in the states.

Ric_D
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2005, 07:42 PM

I just bought a new hi-res 15" PowerBook and the 512 MB chip that it came with was made by Crucial, so I felt safe when I bumped up my RAM to 2 GB with Crucial memory.

Originally Posted by mduell
Buy it elsewhere and save money. It's not hard to do. You can do it yourself.

I like Crucial (guaranteed compatibility, lifetime warranty); they have it for $257USD. They're happy to ship to Canada, although you may not get free 2nd day shipping like we do in the states.

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 1, 2005, 01:47 AM

Check ramseeker.com. It lists up-to-the-minute memory prices by major vendors. Be sure you get a lifetime guarantee from whoever you buy from.

CanadaRAM
Forum Regular
Dec 1, 2005, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Cloud
I'm going to be buying my first Apple (Powerbook) in February. Would it be wise to upgrade the 15" PB with the stock (512MB PC2-4200 DDR2 - 1 SO-DIMM) to 2GB PC2-4200 DDR2 - 2x1GB SO-DIMMs for $600 CDN?
Or should I buy the 15" PB with the default memory and purchase the 2GB upgrade somewhere else? Am I saving any money by doing so?
Is it hard to install? Can I do it myself?
Upgrading the RAM yourself is quite easy -- you do need a good quality small Phillips screwdriver and be quite positive on it when first undoing the screws so you don't strip them. If the screwdriver does not fit exactly, STOP and go and get another screwdriver that does.

You should be able to get 2 Gb in Canada for CAN$350 or less including delivery and no customs brokerage (and have the 512 chip to sell off if you want)

Buy the Mac with the default memory and choose your RAM from a reputable seller who tests and guarantees compatibility with your model Mac, offers a lifetime warranty, and a no-cost return if it doesn't work.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

BrianZeit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 1, 2005, 04:27 AM

i buy my memory from crucial.com cheap and dependable

Cloud  (op)
Dec 1, 2005, 04:55 PM

Does anyone have a link to properly install the memory myself? I don't want to screw up my first Apple right off the bat because of stupidity on my behalf.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 1, 2005, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Cloud
Does anyone have a link to properly install the memory myself? I don't want to screw up my first Apple right off the bat because of stupidity on my behalf.
http://www.pbfixit.com/Guide/54.2.0.html

hickey
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2005, 06:00 PM

Just another vote for crucial, and RAM is pretty easy to put in, the pbfixit link is more than adequate for providing installation instructions.

cambro
Senior User
Dec 1, 2005, 06:32 PM

The only reason to order from Apple is if you want a non-stock machine in anything but RAM.

For example, if I were ordering a PB today (and believe me, I really want to but I'm trying to hold out!), I'd get a 15" from Apple with a 120 GB HD ($1979 with edu discount). Space on a hard drive is sort of like RAM, can't have too much with today's digital images, music, movies, etc.

Unlike RAM, ugrading the HD isn't cheap and it isn't easy. A 120 GB drive from OWC runs $300 and I'm pretty sure installing a HD will void your warranty...

a2daj
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2005, 03:23 AM

I usually buy RAM from OWC. Haven't had any issues yet.
( Last edited by a2daj; Dec 2, 2005 at 03:33 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules