Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Ram not being read

Ram not being read
strapper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2005, 12:38 PM

I have an odd issue...well maybe to someone else it isn't odd. I have a G4 933 mghz Powermac. I put in 1.5 gigs of PC133 ram a while ago. Recently I realized that it's only reading 1 gig of this. I swapped the ram around and all of the chips work. It seems that the one slot is not working. Also, when you check the ram in utilities it sometimes reads the ram as PC133 but other times it reads the one chip as PC133 and the other as PC100. One time it was saying both chips were PC100. I don't know enough about things to know what that means but I'm thinking it's not good. Can anyone shed some light on this? And does anyone know what the one slot not working means? Is that a lot to get fixed etc.?

Thanks!
---strapper---

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2005, 10:29 PM

I think they'd have to replace the logic board to fix a slot.

I think.

That'd be around $400.
Linkinus is king.

Forum Links
Forum Rules