Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ati mobility radeon x1600 vs ati radeon 9650

ati mobility radeon x1600 vs ati radeon 9650
nycdunz
Senior User
Jan 26, 2006, 12:43 AM

was just curious as how the x1600 in the laptops perform compared to the ati 9650 in the powermac g5's, is it better, and if so, how much better?

how is the x1600 compared to lets say the x850xt?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 26, 2006, 01:38 AM

X1600 is much better than the 9650... probably comes close to X850XT, but I haven't seen any benchmarks.

nycdunz  (op)
Senior User
Jan 26, 2006, 02:00 AM

wow, so that means i can play the sims 2 on it much better than my powermac g5...

MORT A POTTY
Senior User
Jan 26, 2006, 02:59 AM

wooooaaaahhhh now. you forget that Sims 2 is gonna run in Rosetta. it will NTO play "much better" than your PowerMac till it's made a Universal Binary (if ever).

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 26, 2006, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by MORT A POTTY
wooooaaaahhhh now. you forget that Sims 2 is gonna run in Rosetta. it will NTO play "much better" than your PowerMac till it's made a Universal Binary (if ever).
But the code for the graphics card shouldn't need to be translated.

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2006, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by mduell
But the code for the graphics card shouldn't need to be translated.
The "code" for the graphics card is processed and sent by the video driver, which is something that runs natively. The OpenGL calls, processing, etc. that the game does before it touches the OpenGL driver is still in PPC, and hence, has to be run through Rosetta.

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 26, 2006, 05:53 AM

To give you an idea of what Rosetta does to a modern game, wander to the World of Warcraft Mac boards. People with the iMacs are reporting WoW is playable, but plays about the same as the early aluminum Powerbooks. IE, they can't run with all options set to high, the resolution needs to be turned down, and only then is the game playable. Where as the WoW Universal version shown at Macworld was running full resolution with everything maxed at 60-100fps.

Universal binaries for games will make a big difference in modern games. Sims 2 I believe is a high priority for Aspyr on their Universal list, up with Doom 3.
<This space under renovation>

jrramsey
Forum Regular
Jan 26, 2006, 04:53 PM

Here's a cool link to a variety of graphics cards.

http://users.erols.com/chare/video.htm

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2006, 04:57 PM

Sims 2 will be universal in the next few months i read, it being a free upgrade if you already own a PPC version. Think i saw that over at TUAW, dno though
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Zyphere
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2006, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
X1600 is much better than the 9650... probably comes close to X850XT, but I haven't seen any benchmarks.
According to benchmarks I've seen (you can try googling them), the X1600 Mobility performs similarly to the nVidia GeForce 6600, kind of inbetween the 6600 and 6600GT.

Not as amazing as the X850XT by far, but still quite a powerful card.

Forum Links
Forum Rules