Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > use Airport Express as wireless bridge?

use Airport Express as wireless bridge?
chasg
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2007, 05:59 AM

Hi All,

I've got an early iMac (crt, gray translucent plastic) that doesn't have an airport card in it. I don't want to run ethernet cable from my router (two floors away), I'd much rather connect via wifi.

I have an Airport Express available, would it be possible to use the AP Express as a wireless bridge to my wifi router? (AP Express connected to the iMac via ethernet, and then connecting wirelessly to the router).

Thanks for any assistance,

Chas

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2007, 09:14 AM

Yes it can be a wireless bridge. I have one set up this way. The only catch is that your router must be an Airport Express base station.

AirPort Express frequently asked questions (FAQ)

Chris

chasg  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 24, 2007, 01:02 PM

Good info, thanks.

My router isn't an Apple product, but perhaps I can get it to work with the APExpress (now I can fiddle around, knowing that it's possible :-)

Cheers!

Chas

Forum Links
Forum Rules