Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > XServe RAID drive bays

XServe RAID drive bays
Nyuni
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 11, 2003, 02:23 PM

Looking to get an XServe RAID, base configuration with 4x 180gb drive modules. My question is, are the rest of the bays filled with modules with which I could purchase new Hard Drives and then install into the XServe, or are the remaining empty bays filled with nonfunctional blanks, thus forcing me to purchase the (overpriced) Apple Drive Modules?? In the XServe RAID manual available online, it seems like it's just anonfunctional module, but I called Apple directly and they assured me that I could install bare drives I purchased in any of the extra modules. Can anyone with a XServe RAID set the story straight for me?
The Quintessential Featherhead.

Camelot
Mac Elite
Dec 12, 2003, 01:53 AM

I can't say absolutely for the XServe RAID, but the XServe comes with blank drive bays that you can not install a disk in. I'm 99% sure the XServe RAID follows the same setup.
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

JLL
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2003, 05:47 AM

Originally posted by Camelot:
I'm 99% sure the XServe RAID follows the same setup.
It does.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Dec 12, 2003, 10:24 PM

Originally posted by Nyuni:
Looking to get an XServe RAID, base configuration with 4x 180gb drive modules. My question is, are the rest of the bays filled with modules with which I could purchase new Hard Drives and then install into the XServe, or are the remaining empty bays filled with nonfunctional blanks, thus forcing me to purchase the (overpriced) Apple Drive Modules??
I'm having a different problem -- I WANT to purchase an Apple Drive Module, but for the life of me can't find any listed in the Apple store. Anyone have any pointers?

[edit]

Found them... they were listed under "Third Party" products, which isn't what I expected.
( Last edited by moki; Dec 12, 2003 at 10:32 PM. )
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2003, 08:53 PM

Originally posted by Nyuni:
Looking to get an XServe RAID, base configuration with 4x 180gb drive modules. My question is, are the rest of the bays filled with modules with which I could purchase new Hard Drives and then install into the XServe, or are the remaining empty bays filled with nonfunctional blanks, thus forcing me to purchase the (overpriced) Apple Drive Modules?? In the XServe RAID manual available online, it seems like it's just anonfunctional module, but I called Apple directly and they assured me that I could install bare drives I purchased in any of the extra modules. Can anyone with a XServe RAID set the story straight for me?
Who at Apple told you that? They should be shot.

No, the empty bays are nonfunctional blanks. You cannot use "off the shelf" IDE drives with Xserve RAID, you need to buy ADM's. They're $500 a pop (more than a Fry's drive), but they're hot swappable, and they are extensively tested (drives you buy at Fry's are NOT), so they're very good drives. Typically what you want in a RAID storage unit.

Forum Links
Forum Rules