Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > DSL + Cable Connected to One MBP?

DSL + Cable Connected to One MBP?
kylemacr
Aug 26, 2006, 10:59 PM

So I just got DSL, but I still have my cable internet active for a few more days. I connect to the DSL wirelessly, and was wondering if there were a way to use both connections at once (perhaps connect cable to computer via ethernet). Would I get addtional speed, or would the computer use one over the other?

jay3ld
Senior User
Aug 26, 2006, 11:56 PM

only 1 at a time I believe...
You shouldn't make fun of nerds... you'll be working for one some day.

wpd7
Forum Regular
Aug 27, 2006, 12:42 AM

One at a time unless you have an aggregation router and even then, each connection can only be handled by one of the connections. You will never get a connection at the combined speeds/capacity of both pipes.

Camelot
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2006, 12:58 AM

You can use both links simultaneously, but only by statically routing some traffic over one connection, leaving all other traffic to use the default route through the other router.

For example, assuming your DSL router is at 192.168.1.1 and your Cable router is at 192.168.1.2, you can set your Mac's default route to 192.168.1.1 (the DSL line) and tell the system to manually route specific subnet's over the cable modem via the route command:

route add -net 123.45.0.0 netmask 255.255.0.0 192.168.1.2

This command will route everything for 123.45.0.0/255.255.255.0 through the cable router.

Of course, the trick is knowing which traffic is best suited by each connection. There are routers that can handle that via BGP, but I don't know of any home router that can handle that.
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

Forum Links
Forum Rules