Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Time Machine-> PS3?

Time Machine-> PS3?
DmbShn41
Jun 15, 2009, 02:15 PM

I just recently upgraded my wireless router so I can reduce my clutter. Out of price, I chose a Belkin N+ wireless storage router, so I can plug in my existing external hard drive. After 2 hours I got it to work with my iMac and iBook, but not with my external drive plugged into it, and I can't get my PS3 to work with it. Is anyone currently using a Time Capsule with a PS3 wirelessly? If it works flawlessly it would be worth the price for a 500GB unit. Also, when you use a standard USB external hard drive, and you set it up with Time Machine, what file format does Time Machine use on the external drive? Don't tell me HFS...
( Last edited by DmbShn41; Jun 15, 2009 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Correcting my lapses...)
Intel iMac - 17" 2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 1 GB RAM 150GB HDD
MB 13" - Early 2010 Model iPod Touch - 16GB
iPad - 16GB WiFi iPhone 3GS - 16GB

Camelot
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2009, 11:52 PM

First check here to make sure your external drive isn't on their 'unsupported 'list.

Assuming it is supported, it's probably like the majority of such devices and it works on the lowest-common-denominator principle, namely it requires a FAT/FAT32-formatted hard drive and share it via SMB.

As for Time Machine, it requires a HFS Extended volume for backups. However, in the case on network storage it achieves this by creating a HFS+ disk image that the backups are stored on, So the underlying disk format isn't so relevant.
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

DmbShn41  (op)
Jun 16, 2009, 12:09 PM

I did check their list. My drive (250 GB western digital MyBook) is not listed, but their site, not the product packaging, states they don't support file systems from Mac OS or Linux. So I have a wireless router that I can't use. Anyone have a Time Capsule for sale?

Camelot
Mac Elite
Jun 16, 2009, 12:15 PM

> but their site, not the product packaging, states they don't support file systems from Mac OS or Linux

That's not a correct interpretation.

The router doesn't understand or use HFS+ itself, so any drive that's attached to it can only be FAT or NTFS formatted, but that doesn't preclude you from using it with your Mac.

The drive will likely be shared via SMB, so you can mount the drive over the network. As I said, in this mode Time Machine will create a disk image on the network drive for its backups.
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

DmbShn41  (op)
Jun 16, 2009, 07:48 PM

I wasn't trying repeat or 'trump' you. I was just stating that I checked their website for my drive compatibility. I was taken aback when I read that on their website it states that the router won't work with HFS file systems, and their product packaging only says that it works with 'multiple file formats'. I told the clerk that was helping me at Best Buy what I was using it for and that I was using it on a Mac only system. He told me that 'multiple file formats' included the Mac system. I've had Belkin products before, with Mac with no trouble. On to the fix..

Are you saying that I can still use this drive with this router, and backup my Mac using Time Machine? If so, please go on. Also if it helps, I have already wiped and reformatted the drive, and completed the initial backup on the drive. Thanks

evan8
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2009, 11:07 AM

ya I'm using a Time Capsule with my ps3 and works perfectly

Forum Links
Forum Rules